5.1 / AC3 surround sound with Tablo

I didn’t catch that. I’m sorry. Anything I would run the HDHomeRun DVR on would likely be able to run Plex (which I already have up and running with a movie library anyway) so this would likely simplify my setup.

Agreed if you’re planning on running the HDHomeRun DVR software on a Computer, but I would run it on a NAS so it could be a standalone device like the Tablo. While most NAS devices can run a Plex Media Server, they do not have the CPU power to do transcoding of video from MPEG2 to h.264.

After having the Tablo for 2 weeks now, I’ll be keeping it. The sound is something I can get over with but I am hoping that future enhancements will enable 5.1 Surround Sound that’s already being received by the Tablo.

As suggested by theuser86, I am using my receiver to emulate the surround sound.

2 Likes

I think that was actually my suggestion (not that it matters), but I’m really glad it’s working out for you. I can’t remember who originally suggested it to me on these forums, but it’s really improved the experience for me as well.

3 Likes

I think TabloTV originally suggested it. But for anyone with a decent AVR, it should do it automatically.

1 Like

That’s cool, but it’s not worth it for me. I’m and old guy (in my mid 40’s) and Dolby pro logic is what I remember using in my college dorm room. I am not open to driving my 7.1 system with that way. There just isn’t a good enough reason. My current software based solution gets me 5.1. It’s not as user friendly as a TiVo level solution but it gets the job done, with the actual ac3 stream in tact.

Maybe in a couple of years someone will solve it with a turn key solution. I’m content to wait. Kodi + NextPVR + SchedulesDirect solved the immediate desire which was to move my pvr system off of media center.

@theuser86 older NAS devices don’t have the horsepower, but starting about 2-3 years ago with Intel chips started being used the NAS devices can transcode without any issues. Currently doing this with a QNAP TS-469 NAS when playing content on an iPad. My Roku and TV apps don’t need transcode at all as they support all of my media as direct play.

Are you just transcoding the audio? This wouldn’t require much CPU power, or is it transcoding the video too?

Video and audio transcoded from MKV to whatever the iPad needs. CPU sits at about 70% on my old NAS, Colleague has a newer TS-451 and his sits under 50% for the same transcoding. In fact the unit itself comes with transcoding capability and you wouldn’t even need Plex.

I’m not aware of any OTA content at 7.1, so you’re still doing some sort of signal processing to get the 5 channels unconverted to 7 channels.

Just saying…

At 50-70% CPU usage for transcoding 1 stream, if you were using the HDHomeRun DVR and had to do playback on 2 devices, say 2 Rokus, the conversion of MPEG2 to h.264 video would likely be too CPU intensive to let you watch on 2 devices without issues. So playback would be limited to 1 Roku device at a time.

My whole point was using a NAS running PMS to get playback on a Roku for HDHomeRun is likely not feasible or worth while.

The Roku device does not need to transcode at all. Every single one of my video files plays natively as a Direct Play.

I was specifically talking about using the PMS as a front-end to get playback on Roku devices when using the new HDHomeRun DVR software. The HDHomeRun DVR records in MPEG2 video and does not have native Roku support.

So connect the NAS directly to the TV using HDMI and stream the native MPEG 2 video directly. All current generation NAS from QNPA include the ability to connect to a TV and run apps directly like Kodi or Plex. Then there is NO transcoding still as the stream goes direct to television. There are ten (slight exaggeration) ways to skin this cat.

No argument there.

Just wanted to add my name to the list. 5.1 is the feature that has been holding me back for I’d guess around 2 years now. For me it’s a very important feature! If it was added I would purchase immediately.

Just wanted to mention that I’ve been waiting for Tablo AC3 support for years now… It’s crazy that they still don’t support this…

4 Likes

You will have surround sound as long as your receiver can decode Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, or DTS Neo 6. Tablo doesn’t have AC3 support yet, but does an excellent job of downmixing the discreet channels into a matrixed surround format that sounds nearly as good. I really want AC3 support as well, but have been enjoying really nice 7.1 surround using Pro Logic IIx with the matrix encoded signal Tablo currently provides.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you don’t have any low volume issues with the re-muxed 2.0 audio. Glad to hear that even though you have a workaround, you would still really want AC3 support as well. Hopefully Tablo can eventually provide us with an alternate/non-native AC3 support option.

1 Like