4th Generation shortcomings

Many OTA channels distribute ION as a sub-channel with a video quality of 480. Your legacy device will transcode to the H.264 video quality you select. What video quality is the FAST ION channel? And can your Roku/TV handle that video quality - as well as your home LAN.

And does the ION channel play correctly on your phone or tablet?

Yes, 480i on both the 4th Gen and Legacy Tablo :-). Yes, the Roku Ultra can handle it, as it does for you. My home LAN is actually great! No problems with wired or wireless devices. The Tablo is wired to a router in media bridge mode, which works great with both Tablos. Have much more bandwidth on my home network than I need at the moment.

Sorry.

I’m talking about the 3 gen 4 FAST ION channels. Do any of these 3 render or any FAST channel.

It sounded like @MrDoh was talking about the ion OTA channel instead of the FAST channel. I am also curious as to what @zippy has suggested. If there is a problem with antenna playback and you have a strong home network, does using the ion streaming channel work any better for you.

(From what I can tell, everything looks the same on both stations.)

Okay, I give, where do I access the ION FAST channels? Are they part of some app? Yes, I’ve been talking about the OTA TV station that I’ve been using for years here. And can still use now that I’ve switched back to the Legacy Tablo. But as easy to switch back to the 4th Gen if I know what I’m looking for…In fact, the Legacy Tablo gets 2 ION TV station subchannels, the 4th Gen only gets 1. But it’s strong none the less.

Anyways, I think that I’ve seen FAST ION channels various places, but I don’t remember where…Pluto? Or somewhere else?

I think some of you are unrealistic. :rofl: You use it to watch TV, nothing really important :rofl: If you need so much more I guess use something else.

The FAST channels I’m talking about are all available on the gen 4. They show up in your channel scan list - unless you live in some area where tablo has them blocked. And since ION is part of Scripps I don’t know why any area would have them blocked.

Have you tried to remove/delete the ION channels exit the app, start the app rescan and re-add the ION channels…

What are you using while waiting for AppleZtV app?

Thought fast were on Tablo so how does he remove it?

The only ION station that shows up in my channel scan is the one I’ve been talking about. So if others are supposed to be there, they must be blocked for some reason, or just don’t reach us. There’s a Scripps News channel, that’s all that I have that’s Scripps. I do live in the boonies, all the stations that I get are at least 30 miles away. Monterey and Salinas, California, pretty much. I have a good antenna and line-of-sight to the TV stations around me, which really helps a lot.

I have re-scanned a few times, re-designated the TV stations that I want, and installed the new scan several times. No help there.

For the person asking what streaming box I’m using (@beastman), I guess I haven’t mentioned the Roku Ultras that I’m using in every post, but pretty nearly.So I’m using a couple of very recent Roku Ultras.

@rkkeller, don’t know if you’ve ever tried to get something to work, but I have spent a long career in computer engineering, and am a problem solver. I’ll either get it to work or return it. Doesn’t have much to do with the role of TV in my life, more about solving a problem, or not. Pretty sure from your posting that you don’t get that, sorry.

When you do your channel scan, don’t you have another 60+ stations than you would get locally? For example, I get 25 and my last station is 31.4. My total channel scan gives me 93 available stations including the streaming ones. If I scroll past my last OTA station number, there are the Scripps channels and then a slew of others. It’s possible you’ve unchecked everything and then saved so they don’t show up in your guide, but if you rescan, they should be available in that save list below your local stations. Double-check what’s there after a scan and if they don’t show up, maybe there’s a connectivity problem. (Yes, other apps like Pluto, Roku, Plex… etc have them, but with your Tablo you can record them.)

There’s no save list below my local stations after a scan. Just the usual OTA local stations. There could be a setting somewhere that I’m not aware of that I need to turn on or off.

Don’t know what sort of a connectivity problem that you’re referring to, can you please elucidate on that?

That’s really odd. It’s like the Tablo is only half-connected to the internet. Enough that it’s not giving you the blinking blue “no internet” light and somehow functioning on your network without errors in your apps.

This is really confusing to me. :confused:

I should get in touch with Tablo support and see why I’m not getting those FAST “stations” on my 4th Gen Tablo. All my other apps are fine, I have fiber internet that functions well. The Tablo should be using that if it needs it for something.

This is interesting…wonder what’s going on between me and Tablo central?

I definitely would hit 'em up and see what’s going on.

Sounds like you’re a tech guy, though… so if you’re up for it, there’s always the route of a complete factory reset. IDK how much you’ve got invested in your Tablo and if there’s anything you want to save/watch, but it’s an option. (I think I factory reset mine 3 or 4 times before I even thought about a support ticket – hey, I’m a stubborn old man!)

Don’t have any recordings that I care about on it, just a couple of newasts scheduled…good thought about a reset. First thing that I do with phones and routers that stray from what they should do. I’ll try that and see how it goes.

Just make sure to follow the reset guide. There’s weird steps that might interfere with your external drive. I am too lazy to read it, but not so lazy as to not share the link.

Factory Reset 4th Gen

Wishing you the best and hoping to see a post in a few days about how your FAST channels are splitting/chopped/failing, and letting you down like they are for the rest of us! :wink:

(Course, my luck, you’ll reset and yours will be the perfect little recording beast and we’ll all be jealous!)

You don’t have both an external amplifier and the gen 4 internal amplifier turned on

1 Like

Here are 20 channels you should have