4G/LTE Interference

Also, the errors that show up in my cable modem at LTE frequencies would suggest the same interference could get into my OTA feed and overload my tv circuit distribution amps and Tablo. Hopefully not since I installed LTE filtering.

1 Like

Because of suggestions on this forum, I installed Channelmaster 4 port distribution preamp with terminators on the unused ports. It helped a little on most of the channels but the pixilation on the Heros & Icons during mid day was so extreme that a lot of the time I could not watch the recordings. I ordered an LTE filter and installed it in front of the preamp. Very little improvement, I still could not watch my recordings. When I was getting ready to return the filter, I decided to install the LTE filter at the antenna, day light and dark. Pixilation was decreased on all the channels and for the last several weeks there is still pixillation on H&I channel but nothing that keeps me from enjoying the recordings of Hillstreet Blues and NYPD Blues.

I have a large cell tower and high power lines close to me. I have a Channel Master, flat, omni direction Smartenna.
I wonder why I get such a big improvement in reception with the LTE filter at the antenna instead at the input port to the preamp. Could this be because of the design of the Smartenna?

I try to remember Bill Glass’ suggestion that you should always fish both sides of the boat.

Still a satisfied cord cutter.

Hill Street. That’s stonking programme, mate! Loved it.

You may also find that a directional antenna, mounted about 20 feet away from people, and connected to the Tablo with RG-6 coax, may help.

At UHF frequencies, people in the same room as an antenna can seriously interfere with consistent TV reception. Also, many flat panels use very thin coax. The shielding offered by these cables is often not enough to keep out stronger nearby signals.

1 Like

I have my Smartenna mounted outside on the balcony.

Maybe part of the reason that my LTE filter works better at the antenna outside, instead of the inside at the preamp is the wire mesh in the stucco. Could there be some reflection back to the antenna? Regardles it is still my best choice.

Hill Street Blues is worth the extra tuning effort. The writers are crazy.

A preamp should also physically at the antenna mast, so usually outside. It shouldn’t be fair away from it.

A distribution amp (the Channel master 4 port you refer it) is different than a preamp. Unless you have the need for 4 TVs connected to your antenna, you should use a preamp instead.

Something like this - it works great.

Or something like this - check the last photo for where it should be installed:

There are cases where you’d need both. In my case the antenna is close to the distribution point, so an 8-way distribution amp made sense for me.

Yes I agree, I have the Channel master LTE filter and RCA preamp at my antenna mast (so physically outside at the Clearstream 4V), then I have a Winegard distribution amplifier just before the Tablo to boost the signal again before the Tablo’s internal 1x4 splitter. Works well.

1 Like

I don’t know that the preamp at the antenna would help me that much. I tried the Channel Master Amplify preamp/LTE at the antenna and at the Tablo. Both times I lost some of my channels. The Channel Master 4 port distribution preamp in front of the Tablo gives me a slight imptovement in some channels.

My pixilation is not unacceptable but I am wondering if adding adding a second LTE filter at the distribution preamp would be of any benefit. When I had my Channel Master LTE filter installed in front of the distribution preamp, before I moved it to the antenna, there was no improvemment. It seemed as if having it inside added to the signal problems. A standard preamp gives me very little improvement. I lost my ABC channel with both the antenna amp and the standard amp inside. My main problems occur during in the busy cell service times.

Based on your issues, I believe a larger antenna likely would benefit you the most.

If your antenna is outside, put up a Clearstream 4V for example.

Does a larger antenna magnify the cell signal ? I think cell signals are my primary issue.

I think that I am probably doing the best that I can with the apartment restrictions and location. I can make minor changes and most of those would need to be inside the apartment.

If I could go to a larger antenna, I might need 2 antennas, slightly offset. This based on experimentation with different antennas. I don’t think the apartment management would go for that. Picture a 4 story, stucco donut with me in the donut hole. A cell tower and high voltage transmission lines on the other side of the parking lot. Then the estimated 500 cell phone users in the apartment complex.

The ultimate judge of how well it works is my wife and thinks it was worth cutting the cord. I just can’t help trying to make minor tweaks.

Humour me - try it, if it doesn’t work, take it back to BB.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas-direct-clearstream-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/5894080.p

Give me a couple of months and I will try it.

1 Like

Interesting link with video showing cell phone interfering with cable tv signal.

Might apply to OTA signals as well.

I hear t-Mobile is also rolling out a lot of new LTE in the 700MHz band, specifically in rural areas. Guess people may want to investigate Faraday cages around their settop boxes? :slight_smile:

Or to make it appropriate to this community, are Tablos adequately shielded? Do they need shielding in the first place? I’m still puzzled by a comment I found somewhere here where @TabloTV or @TabloSupport told someone that putting a metal trivet under the Tablo may interfere with signal qualilty.

generally speaking (exceptions can and will apply) the influence of LTE signal interference should be resolved at the antenna end (That is where all these 4G filters need to be located for the best effect)

a metal plate or grid can act as an RF reflector, with varying results.

Note that an RF reflector does have it’s uses…

Hey Wolfpack, I am betting you are in the Raleigh / Cary area based on your setup. Both kids at NC State.

I am in the process of setting up an OTA antenna system in Cary. Can you provide the final solution you got to? Assuming 1/2 your 8 bay bowtie is pointing ESE (around 115)and other is WNW (around 280).

Can you help?

Hi KoolBreeze. I am NCSU class of ‘70 living in Knoxville, Tennessee. I suggest you check TVFOOL.COM for TV station vectors at your location. Wish I could be of more help.