$300 TiVo Roamio OTA DVR with lifetime subscription

The ‘base Roamio’ is for Cable TV correct, not OTA?

Not correct - the base Roamio is for either OTA or cablecard (you can use one or the other, but not both at the same time).
The OTA doesn’t include the cable card slot (physical slot is actually there, just not card cage/connector).

It looks like Tivo will be releasing new hardware soon (the Bolt), so this is a probably a way for Tivo to reduce inventory.

It is a good deal for those that don’t want to wait for the new gear.

This is a good deal if you only have one TV, as it’s a pretty low cost solution and you get 4 tuners. Interestingly, the ChannelMaster DVR+ (1 GB version, 2 tuners, lifetime EPG included) was at the bottom of the Best Buy web page for TiVo Roamio, and the cost was $399, so clearly TiVo is the winner there, and it’s a much more mature product… been around practically forever. The deal for the TiVo is $50 for the device itself, and $250 for the lifetime subscription.

Kinda blows Tablo out of the water on a lot of things. Sorry, but it’s true (at least for me).

But I did want to add kudos to Tablo for leaving this thread up. Lesser companies would have quashed it straight away.

Like most things, you have to evaluate your needs and go from there. I don’t hardly ever watch mobile video, so the stationary thing doesn’t hurt me at all. However, I could really see where if you were into that, it would be a big deal.

As the man said, ‘youse pays your money and youse takes yer chances’! :wink:

Totally agree with that statement…Tablo has demonstrated a lot of class on this forum.

• Insert GIF of Ron Burgandy - :smile:
    ‘You stay classy, @TabloTV!’

Thanks.

Long story short, we think we have an awesome product but it’s not for everyone. It’s good to have competition and it’s good to have dialogue.

I dont understand why Tablo cant do 60FPS? Tivo does 60FPS perfectly when streaming to the Tivo Mini. My Roku connects via HDMI just like Tivo Mini, but the Tablo is noticeably slow refreshing the image on screen…at least for sports.

As for Tivo discount, I am thinking Tivo is finally getting competition at a time when consumers are moving to the OTA market. There also is a big threat on the horizon:XBOX One. Microsoft announced a new DVR feature that will be released Q12016. MS is smart to commit to OTA DVR as there is alot of interest in OTA and it could justify the cost of the console without monthly fees.

With competition we all win !

Tablo now does 60fps with the 2.2.2 firmware (in beta - public release very soon per TabloTV). So sports on 720P stations should look much improved.

How much stuff is actually SHOT at 60fps? Isn’t most content shot at 24fps or 30 fps anyway?

Mostly sports. But it does make a difference.

1 Like

Why price of Roku instead of $39 FireTV stick? It works great! Yes, Roku is better because there are more channels, but for DVR remote purposes remember that Roku can NOT do remote and FireTV stick can. And support for larger hard drives will come with the new firmware release coming soon.

1 Like

@beastman What?

Back there somewhere the price for 2 Roku 3. Instead of that price, use the price of FireTV stick which is only $40 unless you find on sale as I did for under $25. The FireTV stick can travel with you on vacation or a friends house and work…not so for the Roku.

For me it was noticeable with action scenes in drama as well. Never seen this behavior with DirectTv, Comcast, Fios, and now Tivo.

Reason: all those devices record the native MPEG2 video, they do not transcode the video.

Tablo transcodes the video to h.264 for playback on mobile devices and the Roku. The Roku does not playback MPEG2.

For the record, DirecTV has been transmitting MPEG-4 for years. I believe the last of the MPEG-2 HD channels went dark in 2010.

Aren’t ALL the OTA channels broadcasting MPEG2?

Yes, for OTA…

1 Like

Depends on where you are actually