2.2 Firmware Release

I’ve got it and it looks good to me so far…but Tablo said they will likely have one more beta revision to fix an issue with how 480i programs display (aspect ratio).

2 Likes

I mentioned it but said it wasn’t a show stopper and suggested releasing it saying everyone has waited long enough

But Tablo just recently posted this, so to answer @John_Zanettos question of does it look like it will go live, the answer is no.
From Tablo
“We were looking at this yesterday and will likely squeeze a fix in for it which means 1 more rev.”

I know…I saw that but hoped they might change their mind. Bad releasing it on a Friday with no tech support the time most get home or over thevweekend. Does that mean Monday at the earliest?

OK, Thanks for the info guys! Looking forward to it, looks like lots of blood sweat and tears went into it.

Concerning Bulk Delete - I had Two and a Half Men that I wanted to delete. Bulk Delete failed where it would spin for quite some time, but finally after several minutes the spinning stopped but nothing got deleted. For some reason, I started playing some of them for a few seconds ( I’m not sure what gave me that idea ). Anyway, I finally found the following

Player Error
Recording file not found on disk.

( OK )

Once I found all of them ( and manually individually deleted them ), Bulk Delete was successful !

This update better speed things up, since the FIreTV Client update it takes 5 freaking minutes to delete one program, I have about had it with TABLO, it is too slow.

Get a Roku and run an Ethernet cable to it and your speed issue will disappear. Unfortunately you may then begin to have rebooting / crash issues like some of us have been reporting since April…,

1 Like

If you are talking about deleting recordings from the Fire TV UI, I just experimented with this and deleted a show from a Fire TV stick (which is MUCH slower in general than the Fire TV box) and it deleted in less than 4 seconds - and this was while background sync was still processing. I never use delete from that UI, so I don’t know if it was slow in the past.
Have you tried rebooting your Tablo and Fire TV to see if that helps?

I’m running the 2.2.3 beta firmware on my Tablo and the latest published release of the Fire TV Tablo app.
Also, deleting from the Chrome browser works fine, and always has in my experience.

I just deleted 26 half hour shows, and it took less than a minute! I’m running the latest 2.2.3 Tablo firmware and the released Fire TV app using my Fire TV stick, on the 5 GHz WiFi network.

I said this one is going to be perfect. A few weeks ago we had a sub-channel problem, which was showing the main channels but that problem has been fixed. They are trying to fix a problem with a very few hard disk. I hope that they release it this coming week and just put out the name of the disk that are known to have problems.

I’m perfectly content to wait until Tablo has the bugs ironed out and they can give us a solid release. My expectations for the product don’t reside way up in the stratosphere. Once I moved the Tablo from Wi-Fi to Ethernet, it’s performed solidly with all 4 of my Roku devices of different vintages. There is the occasional failure to generate thumbnails, but I can deal with that, and am willing to live with a couple of other things that don’t impact my ability to use the Tablo. As a product, Tablo does a great job of recording OTA content and plays it back at a quality FAR superior to what I was getting on satellite. As I delete most of the shows I record immediately after watching them, massive amounts of storage are not an issue for me. My 2 GB drive is way more than I anticipate ever needing, and with CycleJ’s Tablo RIpper, I can pull recordings off the Tablo onto my PC for archiving elsewhere, or burn to DVD. The browser interface supports the other features I need, such as easy scheduling recordings of shows days or even a week or two in the future, bulk delete, Tablo setup, etc.

I may be a little more forgiving than most of you, because having been in the new product development field for decades, first as an engineer and later up through the ranks and on into Senior Management, I feel for the guys who are hard at work doing bug fixes, adding new features and providing support for their user base. I know exactly what they’re going through, so I tend to give them a wide berth and cut them a lot of slack.

So when I look at Tablo, I ask myself whether it does what I want, and whether the feature set more valuable to me than competitive products… With my 4 tuner Tablo, and the ability to share it across 4 Television sets equipped with Rokus, the ability to watch live or recorded content on multiple platforms when I travel, record programs on 4 different channels simultaneously and never having to miss a show (I could watch a 5th program using the antenna input, but that’s way too much TV!) at the price point for Tablo, external hard drive and the Roku devices, I made the decision that yes, it has more of what I want than competitive products at this price point, and I’m willing to live with a few minor limitations.

Not to belabor the point, but I’d rather continue to have solid, reliable software & firmware than to get something fast and buggy.

Just my $.02, FWIW.

5 Likes

I used to be a mainframe programmer and know the process we did. I signed up to be a beta tester so I would help make it perfect for everyone, and to have access to new features first. Sometimes things go wrong, and the Tablo is out for a week while they fix the code that broke it, but at least the sub channel problem was caught in the second tier of the beta testing. Not everyone watches 480p channels, which is what most of the subchannels are. In Austin, TX 7-2 is MOVIES! and I record and watch it. When it wasn’t a movie, I tried watching live and then checked all the channels I get that have subchannels.

1 Like

I can tell you that this latest Roku firmware has awakened the “Reboot issue” here now too. Not in the Tablo channel, but AOL.On (the “News” link in the Roku menu). I watch a couple of news clips and the box becomes unresponsive for about 10 seconds and then suddenly reboots.

My Roku 3 is Software version 6.2
Build 3660

I have the original Roku 3. I just checked and it said my software was up to date.

My Table is the 4 tuner model, and is using a wired connection, all new cables new high end switch and router on my network, when I first purchased my Tablo I also purchased 3 Roku’s to use with them, but did not like the interface so switched to the Fire TV when the first released the first version, and it has been buggy from the start, the client now looks good, but it takes 3 to 4 minutes to mark any one show as watched, or delete a show after watching it, so either there is something wrong with my Tablo and I need to arrange an exchange or this is just from using the older firmware with the new client as I am not a beta tester, (wish I was) or hopefully this is just something that will be resolved with the new firmware release whenever that happens, lol : )

I can’t really relate since I use 3-ROKU 3’s on my Two Tablo 4 Tuner Units. However I can tell you I delete shows in a matter of seconds. For a better take on the problem, if it takes that same long amount of time to delete shows from your Windows Web browser then the problem probably isn’t with your Fire TV Units.

Chas

I’m using the FireTV stick but firmware 2.2.3 beta and I deleted a bunch of 30 min shows in 5 seconds. WHEN the beta is released everyone will be happy

Still nothing, eh? :frowning:

I just deleted a show from my PC running chrome and timed it, took 15 seconds for one show, maybe I need to call TABLO and request an exchange maybe something wrong with my unit.

15 seconds to delete one recording is WAY longer than it takes with my Tablo 4 tuner (by about 14 seconds). Have you rebooted your Tablo, Router, any ethernet switches in your system?

1 Like