Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.600)

I’m not in front of the TV at the moment so I am doing this from memory… so forgive me if I’m wrong but…

I think the library tab has multiple options that can be selected… One of those is previously recorded content. It is when I select that option (previously recorded content) that I get the spinning circle and it crashes.

Other options on the library tab, like “upcoming scheduled recordings”? will display without crashing.

Hi Tyler, sorry for late reply. Some good news…maybe. After seeing your post I opened a support ticket with Tablo. Funny thing is, after sending the support email I opened Tablo just to check, and the damned thing was working fine. Still is.

Tablo support responded this morning with a ridiculous solution. Rather than explain, I’ll just paste the text to the end of this reply. (please read it, then return here)

Tablo’s solution referenced the old v.8.500 roku app fix dealing with close captions, back in early Feb 2024.

Close Captioning is under Roku>Settings>Accessibility

Even tho my Tablo was working again, I opened >Accessibility for a peek. CC’s were indeed disabled, but then I noticed the Screen Reader app just below Captions mode.

I suddenly remembered the Roku screen reader switched itself on, soon after Tablo started crashing. The day I emailed support, I had just disabled Screen Reader.

It’s a long shot, definitely, but timing and both apps located under Accessibility seem like a hell of a coincidence.

I’ve seen nothing else that explains Tablo abruptly fixing itself.

I hope this helps.
(See Tablo support response below)

Tablo support - Hazel (Tablo)

Apr 17, 2024, 12:41 PM EDT
Hi there,

Our team was able to identify the issue causing the Tablo Roku app to crash during Live OTA streams on select Roku models. We published an update to work around this issue on February 13, 2024.

You can read the full details of the update and how to disable closed captions to work around this problem here: Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.500)
Make sure that your Tablo Roku app is running the updated version (v. 0.8.500) to access these changes.

We have made Roku aware of this issue and are hopeful they will address this issue to allow users to utilize closed captions without running into the original crash issue while streaming video.

Hope this helps! Thank you for your patience while our team works on this.

Thanks,
Hazel

I was excited to try this tonight… since I knew my closed captioning was enabled. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. Same behavior whether closed captioning is on or off. I also didn’t have the screen reader enabled so that didn’t help either.

However, I have found a weird work around.

I noticed under the Home tab, there is a section for “recent recordings” and it shows the latest shows that have been recorded which I thought is way better than (the worse than) nothing that I was getting in the Library tab…. And I found I can even play those recent recordings without issue. At least I can now watch some recorded shows… but too bad it only has the recent stuff and not everything to see.

However, I noticed after I played a recent show from the home tab, I could then go to the “All Recordings” from the Library tab and lo and behold it doesn’t crash AND shows all the recorded content! Nice! As long as I don’t exit the Tablo app, I can wander around the tabs, come back to the “all recordings” under library tab and it has no issues. I can watch all the recorded content I want without issue.

Unfortunately, once I exit the Roku Tablo app and restart it I go back to square one and it crashes if I try to immediately select the “all recordings” under the Library tab :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

BUT… as long as I select any show under “recent recordings” under the home tab AND select “see more recordings” (I found I don’t even have to watch the show, but I definitely need to select “see more recordings” or this doesn’t work), it then allows me to view “all recordings” under the library tab and all works well within the Roku Tablo app again. This behaves the same on two separate Roku setups (I didn’t try my third setup yet) and multiple times in a row so I think I have a repeatable technique down.

Not ideal to have to do a “Vulcan neck pinch” every time I use the Roku Tablo app… but now that I know a (crossing my fingers) repeatable trick to get it to work, I can tolerate this setup for now. Hopefully, a future Roku version upgrade will eventually eliminate this extra hoop I have to jump through to get my Roku app to play nicely with the Tablo.

1 Like

Last night I tried something to “fix” a situation that I noticed when recording back to back shows on the same channel while watching these shows live. Last week when we watched live we got kicked back to the guide between the two shows.

What I did this week was to delayed “live TV” by about 5 minutes. By having a delay while watching live TV there were no problems. The 1st show finished and the 2nd show started without issue.

This is on my 2-channel Gen4 Tablo and Roku Ultra.

1 Like

What do you mean when you say “delayed”?

When I say delay, I mean I just paused live TV, scrolled back 5 minutes and then started watching TV from that point. So I was watching Live TV with a 5 minute delay. Make sense?

1 Like

It actually worked where I got to watch a few shows without crashing. But sems destined to never make this worthless junk work. Now, if I go to the library it will show the names , but before it switches to show pictures on the tiles instead of the name , it crashes. Does that on two roku tvs and also on a separate plug in roku box. Just checked with my android phone app, it usually sucks too because usually after I have opened it a couple times it says it cannot locate the tablo so pretty much always have to delete and reload the phone app to then have it find the tablo. But just reloaded it yesterday or this morning and so I did have it open and it will go to the library and play something. So it seems to be a multiple roku version device issue. So just when I thought this thing might have a chance to climb up to say a 50 percent operational working rate when I try to use it on my Tv …lol, back to zilcho .
From above post, recent recordings from home page seems to work for me also…
“I noticed under the Home tab, there is a section for “recent recordings” and it shows the latest shows that have been recorded which I thought is way better than (the worse than) nothing that I was getting in the Library tab…. And I found I can even play those recent recordings without issue”

Other problem that kept this below 50 working is that half the time watching something all of suddent the picture freezes, the sound continues on, then when you hit a button, you see how the time period bar has slid all the way to the end of the show, even though you were only a quarter or halfway and it is still playing the sound from that point. This all with the closed captioning turned off that was the magic fix for all issues. And it just did it again now so i guess the work around above to see recent recordings at least off the library, doesn’t still make them play without this issue still.

I’ve also observed the exact problem you mentioned regarding the picture freezing with the sound continuing and the status bar at the end of the show. In my case the sound eventually also stops after a couple minutes. This occurs on my TCL Roku TV (TCL model 32S327 using Roku model 8116X ). When I place a Roku Streaming Stick+ (model 3810RW or 3810X) into an HDMI connector on that same TV, and switch the TV input to the stick, the problem disappears. I have another TV that doesn’t have the built in Roku software. When I use a Roku stick on that TV the problem doesn’t exist. So this appears to be a problem with the TCL Roku software (Roku OS version 12.5.5 Build 4174). This occurred both before and after the Tablo Roku App update to version 0.8.600 although that update fixed all my other crashing problems. For some reason, however, the problem you mentioned seems to be gradually becoming less frequent. I wonder if it is now occurring only on recorded programs that were recorded before the update to 0.8.600, just a thought. In the past it would also occur, more rarely, on live programs.

3 Likes

I was incorrect in suggesting that the freezing might be occurring only on recorded programs that were recorded before the 0.8.600 update. Today I recorded a one hour program that freezes about 25 minutes into the program. Whether it is played back marked as watched or unwatched, it consistently freezes at exactly the same point. However, if I press the Rewind, Left Arrow, 10-second Replay, Fast Forward, or Right Arrow button before the freeze would occur, it does not freeze. Simply pressing the Pause twice (pause and unpause) does not prevent the freeze. Any ideas why this may be, or why it freezes where it does?

By the way, I noticed on a video clip that Roku OS 13 is about to be released (or has been). Based on past history, any idea what devices will be updated, and when?

Roku does staged rollouts, so models currently sold as new are eligible to install the update before older models. Here’s what they say about currently supported models:

• Roku streaming players and Streambars – 9102X, 9101X, 9100X, 4802X, 4801X, 4800X, 4670X, 4662X, 4661X, 4660X, 4640X, 4630X, 4620X, 4230X, 4210X, 4200X, 3960X, 3941X, 3941X2, 3940X, 3940X2, 3932X, 3931X, 3930X, 3921X, 3920X, 3910X, 3900X, 3821X, 3821X2, 3820X, 3820X2, 3811X, 3810X, 3800X, 3710X, 3700X, 3600X.

• Roku TV – All Roku TV models (2014-2024) are expected to receive Roku OS 13.

I have an update to my original post that when watching one channel for a long time (say 1-2 hours) and going back to the guide to try and select another channel, that channel will not launch. I was exiting the Tablo Roku App and restart it just so I could select and launch the new channel to get it to launch. I found that is not needed now.

After further observations and testing, I found that it has nothing to do with how long the original channel was watched before trying to select another channel. It’s related to the time the new channel is being selected. If the channel is selected at the top of the hour (:00) or the bottom of the hour (:30) there is a 15 second period of no response after clicking to select a new channel. Selecting either the channel or the channel program from the guide does the same thing. After 15 seconds of no response, then the spinning wheel will startup and a few seconds later the new channel will display.

However, if I wait a few minutes after the 1/2 hour, then there is no 15 second non-response delay before getting the spinning wheel and the new channel launches a few seconds later.

So the question to the Tablo support team is what is happening in the Tablo at the top and bottom of the hour that causes the 15 second no response delay?

Regardless, now that I know what happening, it’s not a big deal. Just a quirk that maybe the Tablo Software Team will correct at some point.

For the record, I have a Roku Ultra 2-Tuner Gen4.

1 Like

Given how tied they are to servers, I wonder if all the Tablo’s updating and possibly checking in is overloading the servers.