Fire stick 4k app issues

I have a fourth generation tablo with four tuners. The tablelo device itself works very well but unfortunately the tablo app on the fire Stick 4k is glitching. If I just watch a show it’s fine but if I interrupt it by hitting the back button or pause it hangs. Spinning wheel and then reboots. I could connect to the tablo device fine with my Android phone. Is there another device I could use that would be more stable? Fire Stick 4K Max, Roku? I know the tablo developers are busy with support for various other apps (apple, Samsung, etc). I have a Vizio TV which is probably on the bottom of the list for support. But the fire stick app really needs some TLC from these guys.

There have been numerous complaints about the firestick 4k and the Tablo.

If you’re looking for an extremely cheap but well-performing device, the onn 4k streaming* box from Walmart works great with the TabloTV app. If you’re a firestick guy, my favorite (and fastest) streaming device in my house is my 4k Max 2nd gen*. As for Rokus, depending on the model there are some issues. You’d be best looking at an Express 4k Plus* or better (Ultra, etc.) AppleTV* is a separate matter and you would need to sign up for their beta to check this one out for yourself.

… * I do own and use quite successfully use these with my Tablos. Each app has their own quirks though…

Hope this has been helpful!

The better solutions that 269587 mentioned are the $20 ONN 4k device that I have and it works fairly well and the FireTV stick 4k Max 2nd gen that also works fairly well which I have. I bought both out of frustration with the issues using the Tablo 4th gen.

Keep in mind that you may still have some hiccups with Tablo 4th gen even with these devices as the product still has a way to go to be a 4 or 5 star rated device.

1 Like

I had the exact same behavior on my Firestick 4k. As others mentioned here, the Onn Google TV 4k streaming device works much better with the Tablo. I switched to the $20 ONN device and no longer have the issues you described when backing out of a show.

There are still some bugs, but the behavior you described was so irritating I almost ditched the Tablo. But now I find it relatively solid. Recording shows works well (except for rare issues), and live TV is rock solid.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I’m going to go with the ONN streaming device. I just want stability with the tablo app. Chromecast is a plus (The Vizio native Chromecast is quite buggy). And I’m not looking for other streaming app support (Netflix, prime, etc…). Those work well on the native Vizio, much better than the apps on fire Stick.