Your Experiences with Sling TV

I watched MNF in its entirety last night on Sling on my FIre TV and I had minimal issues. every now and then there was was a stutter but no real freezing or crashing. Sling will randomly crash on my Fire Stick but it always loads right back up.

Iā€™ve only ever watched Sling through my Roku 3 boxes, and trying to watch ESPN on a busy night like MNF or busy college football Saturday is very frustrating. Last night I was watching the game on the Roku and it was stuttering, pixelating, buffering, etc. Went to bed and was on my tablet, checked the score and saw Cincy was driving for the winning TD, so I opened Sling on my tablet (Android) and watched the last part of the game without a single issue. It came right up and the picture was perfect. No buffering, stuttering, etc. So now Iā€™m wondering, is the Roku to blame??

Some time ago when I was having issues watching either NHL GameCenter or MLB AtBat on Roku and having issues, I read somewhere that the difference devices are directed to different servers, and if there are that many more people watching with a certain device it could present a worse experience than watching on a different device.

Try using the WatchESPN channel, which you get for free with your subscription to Sling. The experience is much better and there seems to be more ESPN content that you can get on Sling ESPN/ESPN2.

I know this suggestion has come up in a lot of threads, but thought I would mention it in case you missed it. I donā€™t even bother with Sling when I want to watch ESPN . . .

I used the WatchESPN app last night for the game and did not have a single hiccup. Sling has really improved in my experience of late. I am curious how the TWC Internet TV Roku trial is going. They are offering several packages so it will be interesting to follow

I do use WatchESPN on the Roku, it buffers as well but tends to be a little better than Sling. I have not tried that app on my tablet.

My LAN and WAN connections are fine.

Who is your cellphone provider? $14 SlingTV for one year if you have TMobile. www.sling.com/tmobile to sign up, If you have ever had SlingTV before, you will need to call and get them to delete your email from the data base so you can sign up again.

Well bummerā€¦Iā€™m a Charter broadband only customer but itā€™s not yet in my area. Worse, the gal I just chatted with offered up the pkg and asked me which one I wanted, got my answer and then said sorry not available here yet. Looking for a friend with TMobile nowā€¦

Iā€™ve had some issues with CNN over the last week. Specifically that channel will take about 5 minutes (sometimes longer) to load the feed when I flip to it. Iā€™ve tested on multiple Rokuā€™s, uninstalled/reinstalled app, not observing that behavior on other channels, and can reproduce it really every time. Itā€™s to the point where when I know I want to watch the news (which especially over last week Iā€™ve been doing that frequently) I have to ā€˜warm upā€™ the channel like an old TV.

Opened a ticket with Sling support, will let yā€™all know what I hear.

Just curious, when it happens can you try watching Sling on your PC or phone or tablet and see if it works better?

Interestingly enough, while watching MNF last night, the WatchESPN app on my Roku3 started constantly going into LPW with no going back to the program. I tried the SlingTV version of ESPN and it was actually working with no interruptions. Just the opposite of what Iā€™ve been seeing in the past. My Rokuā€™s rez is set to 720 to match my old tv and I even rebooted it to no avail. Maybe SlingTV has itā€™s ESPN problems worked out - at least on their app. Did anyone else see this last night?

I owed a reply to @tbellucco - I hadnā€™t checked on other apps, but a quick test last night on my phone while ESPN was loading did work wellā€¦it may add credence to the theory Iā€™ve read that there is different bandwidith allocation per platform (Roku, etcā€¦).

@IllBeDarned, I have as well seen that recently w/WatchESPN. Sling TV (aside from the loading times I mention) isnā€™t having interruptions for me. WatchESPN, however, is with the LPW (and sometimes a complete stoppage like you mention where I have to go out/back in). This first started for me last week, and Iā€™ve since hardwired my Roku 3 to test (still experienced it).

From what I can tell, there is no way to record the Sling feed so that (for example), the hubster could record the game and watch later. If heā€™s not home to watch it live, too bad so sad. Right?

A lot of times you can go to the WatchESPN app and watch a replay.

Signed up for Sling TV. Watching a bowl game or two. Wife has been watching HGTV, TNT, ā€¦ No LPW. No issues. I am using a Roku 3 and my PC. Seems like a winner for $20. I now get 22 channels through Sling TV, 60 OTA, plus Netflix plus Amazon. With my Tablo, I have thousands of hours of recorded free shows. I forget, why was I paying $124 a month for cable?

Let me know when you figure a way to record Sling on the Tablo.

1 Like

Youā€™re dreaming if you think thatā€™s going to happen. Theyā€™re two different services, from two different companies, in two different apps, with two different purposes.

1 Like

Yes the Tablo will never record from Sling.

What does have potential is Live Channels app recording on Android TV. Imagine if SlingTV integrated support for the Live Channels app and Google made native DVR functionality a reality within that app. Thats something I could see as possible.

I would think that the owners of Sling have no desire to have anyone record their programming.

Less the owners of Sling, more the content providers (the owners of the channel).

And I agree. Iā€™m sure that would make a few people made.

That would be the content owners, not Sling.