WTHDIM : "Reparing Hard Drive"

I got this on my Nexus 7 tonight ???

Also, in Settings, it says “Hard drive temporally unavailable”

Maybe your drive has errors? ive never seen or heard anyone mention that but I would leave it be for a few hours and see if its working again…

did you have any recent power outtages or did you recently pull the power to the tablo/drive while it was recording a show or playing live tv?

with a few reboots, it’s fine and dandy again :slight_smile:

Well, it got worse, and in fact said that no harddrive connected.
So, I powered down and removed the drive. I connected it to my laptop and could not mount it. I ran GParted, and asked it to “Check” the drive. It found a TON of errors :

========================

Error reading block 120 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read). Ignore error? yes

Force rewrite? yes

/dev/sdb1: recovering journal
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Root inode is not a directory. Clear? yes

Inode 8, i_blocks is 0, should be 262408. Fix? yes

Error reading block 6127618 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan. Ignore error? yes

Force rewrite? yes

========================
and many many more like this

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Entry ‘snap_grid’ in <2>/<30490627>/176741 (1409238) has deleted/unused inode 1531917. Clear? yes

Entry ‘.’ in <2>/<30490627>/31391/snap_grid (1483370) has filetype set.
Clear? yes

========================
and many many more like this

========================
Then, finally

Free inodes count wrong (121441513, counted=121441498).
Fix? yes

/dev/sdb1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

652070 inodes used (0.53%, out of 122093568)
322280 non-contiguous files (49.4%)
1177 non-contiguous directories (0.2%)

of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 628110/16035/0

343333420 blocks used (70.30%, out of 488370176)
0 bad blocks
0 large files

641770 regular files
10289 directories
0 character device files
0 block device files
0 fifos
4294967287 links
0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)
0 sockets

652020 files
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
grow file system to fill the partition 00:00:01 ( SUCCESS )

resize2fs -p /dev/sdb1

resize2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
The filesystem is already 488370176 (4k) blocks long. Nothing to do!

========================================
Now it appears to be working fine in the Tablo !!!

Okay, I give up - what does WTHDIM mean?
Couldn’t find it on Google…

Maybe “What the Hell Does IT Mean”?

Okay, thanks…too early, no coffee.

Yeah, that’s what I meant ( I was going to say “Heck” ). There’s more to come, but I guess there is SPAM potential on more reply that I sent out earlier this morning, so somebody has to review it. Basically, it got worse, and I had to use GParted to fix it.

@kkoceski - This is a message sent during a file system check. This is done whenever the disk comes online.

It does seem odd that you received this message at a random time. Have you been having disk issues?

I have certainly had many of the same problems as everyone else, but this disk issue seems new. It came and went for a day or so, but would go away after a reboot. There may have been more indications, but I have gotten reboot-happy the last few weeks ( both Tablo and Router ), so I may have overlooked them.

Then yesterday, even after a reboot, it could not be seen by the Tablo. So, I was going to try a whole Factory Reset with full FORMAT, but then I thought of GParted. This seems to have helped. However, I saw some download issues today at lunch for last night’s recordings. I am using jskenney’s tablo2go. I have seen download problems in the past, but they have turned out to be WiFi issues.

@kkoceski - The support team is able to see how many times your drive disconnects/reconnects so if you want us to take a look, just pop us a note.

Well, I guess I’m going to have to pop that note. Tablo couldn’t find the drive again, and GParted it presently churning away on hordes of errors :frowning:

Your drive might be failing in that case… they do fail …

Sad but true… One of the many reasons why we didn’t include one INSIDE Tablo.

You may want to try a cheap replacement cable before trying a whole new drive. When you chat with support they’ll be able to give you some recommendations based on what they see.

Alas, my hope is waning :frowning:
GParted was still at it this morning.
I will try another cable, but hope is probably unwarranted - sitting where it has been hasn’t presented much mechanical activity for the past year or so.
It’s not a pet, so maybe I shouldn’t grieve so much.

And I did pop that note. I got an automated email, but nothing since. Have the Tablo folks had a chance to look at my logs ? Remember, the drive is presently disconnected from the Tablo.

At this point I’d cut my losses and just get a new (and different brand) drive and move on if gparted is still chewing on it.

I got a draw filled with quasi dying and partially dead drives.