WOI-DT - Des Moines, IA

1. What is the make and model of the amplifier you were using?
  2. What is the make and model of the OTA antenna? You said it was a non-amplified antenna. You may need an amp’d antenna.

I am using a Channel Master 3414 4-output RF Distribution Amplifier and a Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM outdoor antenna. My LG TV (on the same splitter as the Tablo) reports a signal strength of 84% and signal quality of 100% on 5.1.

Got the two tuner today. WOI-DT comes in at full reception. I also get 6 additional channels that didn’t show up on the 4. 4 tuner is going back.

Very weird - the 2 tuner and 4 tuner have the same 4x1 amplified splitter in them, just the 2 tuner only uses 2 connections off the splitter.

I think my 4 tuner was defective. If the two-tuner can pull it in at full strength, the 4-tuner should have at least been able to see the channel.

1 Like

Jackal830, I’m just adding in my two cents about WOI reception, and the lack of it. I also live in Altoona 50009, and in terms of over the air broadcast to a set top antenna unit, I haven’t been able to pull the WOI (channel 5) stations for years.

I’ve considered trying to find a replacement set top antenna brand which actually could pull all the local broadcast stations including WOI, but it would be just too expensive to buy one then find out it doesn’t do any better than my existing one, and then buy another brand, and so forth.

I rent, so I’m not at all interested in trying to install any exterior or rooftop antenna here. I just haven’t been able to view ABC’s local affiliate station WOI in all the time I’ve lived here.

This isn’t a Tablo problem at all, in my opinion. It’s apparently simply that WOI’s signal type or strength, or both, is inadequate. And to me on my limited budget, my decision has been that it’s sure not worth it to pay the monthly fees required for satellite or cable just to get one additional station.

What kind of antenna do you have? I just checked www.tvfool.com and the real station is also 5, which means it is broadcast on a VHF channel. I suggest trying a Winegard FL5500A antenna which is designed for both UHF and VHF. I have it for my VHF stations in Austin, TX and it is excellent. If you but it from Amazin, you can return. It uf it doesn’t improve your reception.

If WOI is moderately close by (within 30 miles or so), an old fashioned rabbit ears antenna (VHF) would pull it in. Join it with your existing antenna using a splitter. Total cost about $15 (rabbit ears plus splitter).

BTW 5 is low-VHF and most VHF antennas labelled as UHF-VHF are meant for hi-VHF (channels 7 to 13). Rabbit ears can be extended in length for low-VHF reception. I’m sure that when the channel repack occurs and some stations move to low-VHF, some shyster will repackage the old rabbit ears as “digital antenna for the new era ATSC 3 compatible.”

Beastman and MarkKindle, thank you both for your kind and appropriate recommendations.

I presently use a set top rabbit ears RCA ANT1251 antenna but did order the Winegard antenna to see whether the other stations (especially WOI) in the radius might be pulled in, in addition to the ones I get now. Mileage shouldn’t actually be the prime problem since both the RCA and the Winegard quote mileages much greater than from my home to the tower, but hopefully it may help if it’s directionally more wide-ranging or in some other way.

And yes, if it turns out that the Winegard can’t perform any better than my existing RCA, I’ll return it. Clarity is fine with the RCA.It’s just a matter of it not being able to get some broadcast channels that ought to reach here.

You can use two antennas, combining them both rather than trying to get everything through one antenna. Aim each at the signals each antenna is best suited for (e.g. VHF or UHF).

Once and for all, WOI-TV should move off digital Ch. 5 and use an unused UHF channel for its entire viewing area. That way antenna users would only have to get a high-band VHF and UHF antenna.

Hey slick204, what antenna are you using?
I’m in Ames and am having trouble with WOI.
Thanks