Will You Subscribe to Commercial Skip?

I completely agree with this point! I didn’t have one of the fancy supported devices. When it does become supported on more devices, which may be the options users were waiting for… well if you want to try it out - $20 to test it out with you internet service and the programming you often record - on your preferred device.

(They’ve glossed over my previous post)

Good points Snowcat. Does Tablo still consider Commercial skip in Beta or they calling it a fully released product. It is much better than nothing. I do see times where not all commercials are found and I have to exercise my fingers manually skipping. I also wish that they did not automatically skip preview of next weeks show. I already signed up to buy commercial skip. I planning that they will keep making better just like everything else in this system. My credit card on file expired years ago. I’ve had since 2015. Was paying $200 a month when I cut the cord. Do the math and that is a $9600 savings I see I can get local channels for $50 now with comcast. $2,400 savings if i could have even gotten the $50 deal at that time. I find it interesting that some people are whining about $20 a YEAR. Ok instead of $9,600 I would have only saved $9,520 if I’d had commercial skip the intire time.

2 Likes

Its not so much the cost. The cost is relatively minimal at 1.66 or so a month or 5 and a half cents a day. This is not the issue at least not for me. The issue is that when I signed up for the lifetime 6 yrs ago any future advancements would be included. this was one of the big selling points for me as when I joined they did not even have the thumbnails but with advancement being included I felt it was worth it.

One thing I did want to point out and this is only my guess but with not so many people having it the time to get commercial skip done might get faster.

2 Likes

I’m a yes, but hoping it will continue to improve.

For $20/year, I probably will. That seems reasonable given the infrastructure that has to be paid for to support it. I do wish it was more consistent, but hoping that it improves with time.

Beyond your misunderstand, where was this implied? Then again, you did get firmware aka advancements - included at no cost, just not features.

Again I’m seeing “joining”. Where is this membership so often referenced to? Club Tablo? you mean Tablo Community Forum??

Other than this forum, where did it state CS was going to have a charge in the future? Just because it stated beta?

It is stated in their official blog about commercial skip: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-ota-dvr-feature-automatic-commercial-skip/

Because the technology is new and requires additional refinement, Automatic Commercial Skip is being introduced as a beta feature.

Over the coming months, we will work to improve the feature with the goal of providing 90-95% skip accuracy on recordings with good signal quality.

During the open beta, Automatic Commercial Skip will be free to enjoy for Tablo customers with active or 30-day trial TV Guide Data subscriptions.

Once we are satisfied with the accuracy and quality of the feature and have reviewed the server infrastructure costs associated with Automatic Commercial Skip, this feature may transition to a paid add-on.

If Automatic Commercial Skip does become a paid feature, pricing will be announced and Tablo customers can then choose whether to add this feature to their TV Guide Data Subscription or discontinue its use.

1 Like

The blog was the only place it was announced?
That would not be a valid notification for the consumer before they make a purchase.

1 Like

Yes, it is . Plus it has been on these forums for a while ever since it went to open beta. What other notification could you possibly want?

CS works for me about 40% of the time. Sometimes I can attribute the failures to poor signal but not consistently. However when it does work I marvel at the technology and look forward to the next break just to see the magic again.

Please add a “Lifetime” offer time your pricing, as that’s the only way some of us will bite.

Snowcat,
You may think this was sufficient based on your lifestyle. The majority of consumers don’t read blogs and forums.
Imagine if an automobile manufacturer stated that their vehicles no longer had or would be coming with a warranty and the only place this information became available was on a blog or in a forum.

You haven’t explained where you wanted this information to come from. The box already has so much text as it is that it wouldn’t make sense to add it there. So where?

Absurd.

Still refusing to answer the question.

Decided not to continue with a fool.

Same here.

2 Likes

There used to be another using car anaoligies. I don’t see the comparison. Gazillions of people have automobiles - any information would be world news.

A tablo in a niche market made by a relatively small company. Though I agree, it’s not clearly stated as are other paid features and requirements.

1 Like

This is from TabloTV’s Facebook post:
“We wish we could have offered a lifetime subscription option but like the Cloud DVR service there are monthly ongoing infrastructure costs for every single DVR using the feature. If everyone jumped on the Lifetime option it could have been unsustainable in the long run and we want to avoid that.”

2 Likes

I’m as guilty as the next guy wanting one-time, lifetime payment on things and all the benefits of improvements going forward but I’ve come to the realization that with some things that’s just not sustainable.

Given how the commercial skip functionality was implemented (good or bad) it requires additional resources separate from existing resources so I understand why they are needing to charge extra for it. And while I found it convenient, not convenient enough for me to want to pay extra for it so I appreciate I have a choice.

I would say if you are that upset about it and feel mislead a different solution might be better for you. There always seem to be people willing to purchase units from others that are moving to another platform.

1 Like