Who saw 3.0 coming?

Umm… THEY HAVE BEEN following it … and who knows what toys they got cooking up in their labs… I think its presumptuous and premature to assume they haven’t been watching it… Also 3.0 is VERY NEW and believe the chips are just now coming to market … so there is that too … I think while you are apparently very excited to jump onto the 3.0 bandwagon you might be a bit early … give it a bit of time.

1 Like

It sounds like they plan to have a product by CES next year and that it will support ATSC 1.0 and 3.0. This transition can’t be compared to the analog - digital transition in many aspects since that transition was government mandated in the US. This transition will not happen like a light switch.

I would love Tablo to have a product now but at the end of the day it wouldn’t sell very well because it’s way too soon. I’d rather Tablo make good financial decisions and stick around for a while. If I need to scratch my early adopter itch I’ll find a USB tuner.

Now if they were in need of a beta tester I’m expecting a couple 3.0 stations to go online within range of my antenna this year and I get two major markets! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, well, at 60+ I’ve been through several of these shifts. Damn that Color TV thing made everyone replace their perfectly good B&W TVs!!! Arrrrgh!!

1 Like

My dad told me about his black and white to color TV converter. It was two pieces of plastic. He got to choose from red or blue.

Yes LOL!

Damn, no one is going to use that new fangled horseless carriage! Way too expensive…besides it will put all the saddle makers out of business.

Ol’ Bessie here gets me to town just fine…

Comparing DOS/Windows ATSC 1.0/3.0 isn’t there. One is a single corporation controlling the entire industry, where there is no real choices. The other is a consortium attempting to steer steer an industry… where there is still choices.

Your citation: Public TV urges FCC to exempt stations from ATSC 3.0 simulcasting rules also notes

Because the ATSC 3.0 is incompatible with ATSC 1.0, the existing TV standard in the U.S., the pace of its rollout will be driven by consumers, who will have to buy new equipment to receive ATSC 3.0 signals over the air.

Which some choose to overlook. Just because it’s there doesn’t mean it’ll be available to everyone everywhere right-now. Until it’s profitable, broadcaster won’t switch over… or devices manufactured - before affordable TV fly off the shelves.

That’s irreverent. I watch “subnetworks” or any network on a subchannel from a local station - in what ever format they broadcast it in. I always speculate they receive they it via satellite, which I don’t believe is ATSC anything.

It’s not a “government mandate”. Broadcaster aren’t required to switch over, presumably aren’t expected to want to alienate there “customers” by forcing them either.

My TV has DTV, D-Cable, TV, and Cable… so it might not be too complex.

There’s a lot we won’t know until the marketing hype dies down and reality sets in. “You can’t watch this program with out broadband connection”, like to see how you can record that, or watch it when the DRM is gone.

Of course, but it wasn’t overnight - I need it now take over. It was decades for automobiles to become widespread, even longer until affordable for “average” Americans.

So yea, 3.0 will be here to stay in the next decade when it’s been upgraded to 3.5 and cable/satellite continue to carry local channels since there’s not enough OTA views to pay the bills.

The original ATSC 1.0 standard was finalized in 1996. The transition to DTV in the US was thirteen years later, in 2009.

The ATSC 3.0 standard was finalized in early 2018. To date, the number of full-power TV stations in the US transmitting ATSC 3.0 is zero. The number of TV sets available with ATSC 3.0 tuners is zero. By late this year, we might see 1 to 3 TV manufacturers offering some high-end models with ATSC 3.0 tuners.

It’s very early days, with everyone involved being pioneers. NextGen TV is a long, long way from becoming the norm, much less the standard.

Personally, I wonder if it’ll matter. 5G is looking to be a serious contender to the century-old approach of broadcasting to a large area from a single transmitting antenna. What does NextGen TV offer that 5G couldn’t offer, more easily?

2 Likes

Yes, okay, sure. But so what? You put too much in that last message… at least for my “pea brain”… You are stating what is true. But what difference does it make?

I am looking forward to being an early adopter of ATSC 3.0. I really don’t care about all the other stuff. I am looking for TVs and DVRs that will offer features that I am willing to pay for. Maybe Tablo will offer such a device, maybe it won’t. It is yet to be seen. If they do, I will probably buy it, or at least give it serious consideration with other competing products. That is my whole complete point, in a nutshell.

How fast the rollout is, where it is and who provides it… I don’t care. I live in a market where it will start to become available in 2020. So I have 2 major buys on my wish-list this year: (1) ATSC 3.0 products, and (2) next-gen game console. I am saving my money, and already it is “burning a hole in my pocket”.

I suppose that sums it all up. You not caring makes any perspective, opinion or fact pointless.

that’s my out…

Some thoughts. Advertising revenue is somewhat “hand wavy” with ATSC 1.0. Much less so with ATSC 3.0. People today, despite hype otherwise, don’t often make decisions based on facts, but rely on marketing sway. And here, by people, I mean the broadcasters. Thus, the decision to move to ATSC 3.0 has two problems. Overhype vs technology potentially working against them with regards to “reported advertising reach”. At the end of the day, money rules. While you can play “we’re better than ‘A’ because we’re ATSC 3.0 and they’re not”, but if staying at ATSC 1.0 allows more revenue because of more obscure “hand waving”… most will likely choose the latter. I guess at the end of the day, maybe it all depends on marketing?? But I don’t see people switching to “ATSC 3.0 ‘Good Morning Tomorrow’” because it’s 4K. We’ll see.

1 Like

Money is a hell of a motivator. If the broadcasters can verify programming viewer results, which will be better than the Nielsen’s, dont you think that will provide a suitable reason to accelerate implementation? Add to to that the advertising nut to be had, it ain’t gonna take no 13 years.

No, I think you are correct. Plus, I think ATSC 3.0 will support resolutions up to 4k… I think the model will be something like Hulu or Netflix, so there may be shows on 3.0 that are still 1080, 720 or 480. ATSC 3.0 will be IP based, just like our broadband connections are today… resolution agnostic.

And there will be “for pay” channels along side the free channels. Just like Hulu has different tiers of service. And I think that a lot of legacy channels will be slow to adopt 3.0 or higher resolutions. I look at the resolutions that I get now… in my area I have around 80 broadcast channels, 32 of which I am interested in, of those only 3 broadcast 1080. A handful, including my local Fox affiliate, broadcast in 720. The vast majority of them broadcast in 480. Some of those will go to 4k, but very few.

I think the bigger channels in my area will simulcast 3.0 and 1.0 for a long time. But personally, I want to be an early adopter.

I think another $$$ motivation is they can better target ads that will fetch better prices.

I would agree. IMO it will take major events (Superbowl, Olympics, Daytona 500, Indy 500…etc) to get the ball rolling. Before I retired I used to work for WMBD (Nexstar) and WYZZ (Sinclair) in Peoria, Illinois. Both corporations are on board with 3.0. One thing that you learn quickly about both companies is that they would rather eat their children than part with a buck. If the revenue potential was not there neither would be interested…

1 Like

A lot of sports fans are ravenous when it comes to hi resolution. The Olympics were the major kickoff for 3.0 in Korea so you make a good point.