What I've learned with 1080@60fps and Max Recording Quality

Yes, but your note from above led to the derailing.

What did you mean by that then if you are not doing remote viewing?

A browser is still an on-net app and simply connecting and syncing to the Tablo does not require a Tuner. I’m still trying to lock in on what exactly generates the most load on a Tablo, at what quality levels, and what functions will perform “reasonably” with those variables. the Tablo also has a basic cpu in it that I believe is responsible for guide/sync operations. It also has the task of handling interrupts and managing what work is sent to the GPUs (tuners). I think the tuners themselves perform well and the Tablo is cpu bound.

I’m using 1080 -8 and Nexus player. Excellent picture, no problems

1 Like

Ok, tried again. Edited channel lineup to have 31 channels. Had 4 HD shows recording. Max video quality. While watching an HD recording on iPhone, I deleted app from iPad mini and reinstalled. It started a full sync and within 6-8 minutes the sync was done. Went to recordings, all were there except the cover art which started populating and within 2 more minutes was done.

Possible yours is defective?

Edited to add: I only have 43 recorded ‘shows’ (not total episodes) using 13% of a 2TB drive.

Did you download a fresh guide first?
Also, what kind of hard drive do you attach to the tablo?

Yes, after editing the channel lineup earlier today I had it refresh the guide, which does take awhile, but didn’t seem to impact the Tablo operation at all for me.

I have a 2TB WD Elements portable drive (USB powered).

I also had a WD Elements 2TB… I have just changed that out for a kind of cool setup with a 1TB SSHD in an external usb enclosure. I figure the drive latency may be playing a part so this will help me confirm that.

Have you problems only started once you switched to this SSHD?

No. These problems existed on the older elements drive. That’s why I just (meaning this morning) upgraded to the sshd in usb enclosure. While I am starting fresh on recordings the tablo performance “feels” faster but that could be attributed to upgrader’s bias.

new test:

max quality: 1080@60fps
3 simultaneous recordings (all 1080i)
1 live channel viewed on android tablet (480i)
Starting that last live view channel after the 3 recordings were going took about 20 seconds longer than had the Tablo been idle.

iPhone app: disconnected from Tablo, dumped all Tablo sync data - sync’d without issue the second try. I tried to do an initial connect while the live channel was starting (after the 3 recordings had started) and connection failed. A subsequent attempt after live channel fired up had no issue with connection and sync.

I will repeat this in a little while and report results as a Tablo crash seems to not happen after a recent Tablo reboot/restart.

To add an observable mention… the sshd has made deleting shows incredibly fast. Normally the Tablo takes a second or 4 to think about the deletion but with the sshd it flew through deleting all my test recordings I’ve done… even a series of 3 episodes was nuked quickly where with the normal wd elements drive a series is guaranteed to take 4 seconds at a minimum. The human element of selecting what to delete was the slowest thing about it.

How filled was your WD HD before? I know that at only 13% full, it doesn’t take long to delete (will measure later).

I don’t recall the exact recording count but it wasn’t even at 1/4th full.

When you replaced the drive, basically starting with a new drive, did you factory reset your Tablo? This would clear any database issues that may be contributing to your problem.

I did not reset the Tablo in such a manner.

Highly recommended you do. If you replaced the drive, all your prior recordings are gone anyway.

I’ve done that recently within the last two weeks prior to the drive change. I’ve already taken care of the “extra” data issue with recordings that appear to be there but are not.

Ok sure thing, there could be other things under the hood in the database, there were a lot of changes to database optimizations from 2.2.6 to 2.2.8, hence why I recommend the factory reset. But good luck, happy testing.

I have repeated my previous test.

3 simultaneous recordings of 1080i channels
after those have started run a live stream of a 4th channel on android tablet.

Connecting my tablet to Tablo in order to sync and catch up on the time between last I tested and now took ~2 minutes (I missed starting my timer to be precise) which is longer than before but I do have more recorded shows than before, updated guide (from the nightly update), and really isn’t that bad given how much worse I’ve seen it. One outstanding question I have for the Tablo folks is if the enhanced guide data is stored on external hard drive or Tablo internal flash memory. It’d be nice if I could get an official answer but if someone else knows for certain please let me know.

Once the sync was complete I fired up the 4th live channel on the tablet. Which took about the same amount of time as before. While not great, it is promising to see that the performance degradation or tanking of the Tablo I have seen has not occurred due to my previous test as it has in the past.

The iPhone app synced in about the same amount of time as tablet and playing a previously recorded show fired up in about the same amount of time. This time the app hung about 15 seconds into the recording. I stopped playback and tried to start it again. I noticed that play of live channel on my tablet got choppy while the recorded show was starting on my iPhone. I was unable to get any other recording to play on the iPhone this time while all of the other things were occurring. All recordings I tried (7 in total) experienced the same behavior of starting up and hanging without progress. I noticed each time I tried to start a playback that the live stream did blip and glitch for a second or two.

I attempted playback in a browser app since I had it open to set the recordings up as before and it experienced the same behavior of starting the previously recorded show and hanging. After about a minute later the recording finally kicked in and started playing. Going back and letting the iPhone app sit for the same time frame did yield a few seconds of playback after which it hung again.

So we do have some degradation of performance after letting some time pass from the previous test.

I added to this test given the sporadic behavior of the iPhone app this time around. I fired up my Roku which is attached to a wired network to play one of the previously recorded shows. My old friend, “Loading, please wait”, appeared repeatedly for about the first 2 minutes of playback after which time it smoothed out. I think it important to note that apart from signal issues I haven’t really seen the dreaded LPW on any playback of recorded shows since Roku 7.0 build 9044 and 2.2.8 on Tablo.