What hard drive are you using?

If using Dual LITE what hard drive are you using with it? And how has that hard drive been working for you?

WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT, ran a couple years with out issue in one unit and another just over a year in another. Each in a Sabrent EC-UST25 enclosure.

Now have a Tablo Quad and retired one so far.

WD (2TB) Elements Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0. The Tablo Dual Lite will use downward capable USB 2.0 which is fine for everything it is doing.

I am using a 5TB WD drive I got on sale at BestBuy for $100! Has been working like a charm so far.

5TB WD Drive

4Tb Seagate Barracuda internal. Yes it fits in the Quad, just the bottom does not fully close. :smile:

1 Like

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD on sale for $80 from Best Buy as my quad lives in the bedroom to be close to the attic antenna and silent operation is a must.

Same!

Given the Tablo is an always on device the SSD is likely always on as well, and supposedly the MX500 suffers from a firmware bug with excessive write amplification when it’s always on. This quickly decreases the life of the drive. See link below. You could always pop the SSD into a computer to use the Crucial tool to see the remaining life. It’s just a warning, if the SSD dies prematurely you’ll know why. At least the drive has a 5 year warranty.

Exactly 5 year warranty and was $40 less than a Samsung EVO. I’ll take my chances.

Over the last six years with three different Tablos, I started with an external Seagate Expansion, then needed more space, upgraded to an external 6 TB WD Elements. While I love SSDs, using them to do five or six daily recordings really makes a lot of rewrite cycles on them – not sure that is good long-term solution?

I have been running my latest build since December 2020. I did not want to post about it until I had a few months of heavy duty recording use on it. I have to say that the wire mesh external enclosure keeps the drive really, really cool and the Tablo likes the controller chipset: https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Inch-Enclosure-Support-SA01003/dp/B07N63MXN6/

The drive is made for 24x7 video surveillance and the Seagate Skyhawk drives larger than 4 TB are 7,200 RPM: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Skyhawk-Surveillance-Hard-Drive/dp/B07H28M89D/

In a few months my original 2 tuner Tablo will celebrate its 6th birthday. :birthday: Its hard drive, a Fantom Drives 1tb drive, is several years older. Both are performing without issue.