What are the Security Concerns/Issues if using Remote Connect?

I know the router settings have to be opened up to allow it to send video out… Are there Concerns about Security, Hacking, Break-ins to the Local Lan?

Remote viewing just opens up 2 ports only. I guess there is always a small security concern, but I don’t think anyone is targeting my network for any real reason. Nothing valuable anyway.

1 Like

Thanks…I think. :slightly_smiling_face:

Overall, I agree with what you’re getting across. Still, your answer - “just opens up 2 ports only” suggest the threat is relative to the number of open ports. Ok, more ports equals more vulnerabilities… an insecure network is an insecure network [peroid]. But the real question, is any open port a security risk above “normal” concerns? Probably not.

Seems so much of the public are afraid of being afraid because “I don’t know”. Someone told them having smart devices make their home wifi venerable (maybe) while they install any/every app on their phone with location enabled and give it access to everything and are surprised to discover how much some giant corporation knows about them… and sold and shared.

ok, thanks for letting me vent… sorry

1 Like

I found this older post and decided to revive it mainly because there was no real answer or feedback from @TabloTV . I’d like to get the company view on security and how the remote connection works so I can make a more informed decision about whether or not to enable the remote access.

I had a brand name security camera system that used similar network configuration for remote access. This system also had logs that told me when illegal logins were detected. I used to receive 100’s of these alerts in a 15-20 minute period once or twice per month until I decided to switch that feature off for my peace of mind.

@TabloTV , I’d like to get the company view on security and how the remote connection works so I can make a more informed decision about whether or not to enable the remote access.

I had a brand name security camera system that used similar network configuration for remote access. This system also had logs that told me when illegal logins were detected. I used to receive 100’s of these alerts in a 15-20 minute period once or twice per month until I decided to switch that feature off for my peace of mind.

@TabloTV , how is security implemented and what are the concerns in the older 2-tuner, networked Tablo?

Thanks.

If you really want to use tablo remotely why not just use VPN.

The tablo has no “logins” so there no issue there. You’ll likely see hundreds “knocking” on the WAN port to your router – that’s the way of the internet, sadly.

As noted here- Tablo Support | Over The Air (OTA) DVR | Tablo this is a Community Forum, even though various TabloTV “users” pass through. If you truly want official and technical one-on-one answers…

Thanks @djk44883 , your straightforward comment gives me a better sense of the issue. I appreciate your feedback. I just want to feel comfortable in enabling this feature. I found this on the Support site you sent, which provided a pretty good explanation. Thanks again.

I’m sure there must be many more areas to security then just registering your device with a secure tablo server. If not all of that port scanning software wouldn’t exist.

I do hope this helps. Many here could explain how things work. The good and all the evils out there… fearmongering. Your post tone sounded like you only wanted to hear “official” info…

Now you can search here for all the users who say it doesn’t work well – along with all the users telling them it’s been working fine for them for years.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.