Weird signal propagation

This morning it is extremely foggy in Austin, TX so I thought I would do a rescan to see what I get. Strangely enough 2-1 and 2-2 from HOUSTON, TX. Granted it was only 1 red dot but IF I had an outdoor antenna, I bet it would be perfect.

@beastman Radio signals (TV Signals) in theory travel in a straight line. As they travel objects and atmospheric conditions can reflect, refract or diffract the signals causing them to change directions. High air temperatures and humidity levels can also affect how the signal travels.

Also, the sun (sunlight) affects the ionosphere. The ionosphere is a region of the atmosphere where gases in a stable molecular form start splitting into free electrons and positive ions (ionization). It’s the free electrons that affect TV signals. This mostly affects long distance signals.

I live in Rochester, NY but I can receive channels from Buffalo, NY and Toronto, Canada as well. On a clear summer day I lose the long distance channels but they come back at night. On an overcast day or over the winter I don’t lose any channels. In fact if I do a scan around 3 or 4 AM before the sun comes up I can sometimes pull in channels from Ohio.

(OT: hey there, I’m in Webster!)