Watching sports seems "herky jerky"

Has there been any resolution to this problem since last year? I just got my Tablo hooked up this weekend. I saw support kept saying ‘stay tuned’ for a solution but I am watching a basketball game and experiencing the herky jerk. Pretty disappointing since I like to watch college basketball.

What recording quality are you using?

Have you turned off all motion blur settings on your HDTV?

I am using the HD 720 -5Mbps recommended setting. From reading all the previous posts on this issue it is a problem with watching 1080i broadcasts so I was hoping that Tablo had engineered a solution in the past year. I have tried adjusting all the motion blur settings and also turning it off with no help.

What if you use the HD 1080 - 10 Mbps recording quality? Your network needs to be fast to avoid buffering problems.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/choosing-right-tablo-recording-quality/

using 1080 does seem to help some.

1080 8 Mbps or 10 Mbps setting?

1080/10

What playback device are you using?

After you change the recording quality, I think you need to reboot the Tablo to release all the tuners from their old quality or just cycle through 4 channnels.

it’s a firestick

Can you try it on another device as well? Say a Roku, iPad or even the Chrome browser on a computer?

I haven’t seen any improvement. I have given up trying to watch sports via the Tablo. In our main TV watching room I bought a Channel Master DVR and use it for live TV and recordings in there. The tablo only gets used for watching recordings in our bedroom, exercise room and office.

1 Like

This is very annoying, trying to watch Indiana/Michigan on CBS and it’s giving me motion sickness. I watched a game the other night on a 720p channel with no issues. I wish Tablo could fix this 1080i problem if that’s what it is, and it seems to be true from my experience. Tablo can’t handle 1080i fast motion like sports.

1 Like

1080i is definitely tablos weak spot… tried watching golf yesterday on cbs (1080i) (roku 3 and premiere plus) and it was “herky jerky” - 720p content looks great. hopefully they can tweak the h264 conversion.

1 Like

I’ve tried it on every possible player, and have given up. I’m fine with 720p for most things, but I’d really like to have 1080 now and then. Probably going to grab an HD Homerun, and use it with Kodi for those times. Hate putting more money into viewing…but it is what it is.

Might want to consider Homeworx DVR. Only one channel but HDMI pic is great with 1080i. Live sports is fantastic. At 29.95 not bad. Just use it for sports and music specials for the 5:1 audio. Kinda clunky but does the job.

I’ve watched a ton of NFL football this season at 720p (mostly to save a few bytes on my hard drive) and I have been extremely happy. Like Tablo was the best purchase I have made in a long time happy

1 Like

I do like the fact that I can watch “the” football game on my own time :slight_smile:

(I just warn everyone to not tell me the score)

1 Like

I used to work a swing shift at a papermill. I would place signs up
“Media Blackout! Do not tell me any scores!”
Naturally they tried to tell me every score…

This herky jerky playback is why I abandoned my tablo. I would consider giving it another try if they offered a 4 tuner version with an hdmi out to the main tv that passed the original ota content through.

I saw another post saying that this issue would be resolved in a firmware update to the fire tv. I can’t find that post right now and I am wondering if it has now been resolved on Fire TV 3