Wait for ATV Tablo app or goto TiVo Roamio w/Lifetime subscription

SD channels (upscaled by the Tivo) actually don’t look too bad on a 32" TV.

1 Like

I could see that - 52" here :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on content.
2 of my 8 channels are SD, but their content makes it worth keeping them.

Also, Tivo has a nice Zoom feature allowing you to watch a 4:3 show in full widescreen (stretched but still looks quite good), zoomed to fill widescreen (not good for 4:3) or native (sidebars).

I’m hoping they can do this with the ATV app (the capability is there, just need Tablo to utilize it).

LOL! Ha! Problem solved!

4:3 stretched to full screen sucks. Everybody (and I mean every body) looks like an overweight fat faced dwarf. Rather watch smaller 4:3.

2 Likes

58 mi W of Chicago towers, 23 mi SE of Rockford Towers. Some days I even pick up Milwaukee stations. It’s a mixed bag. SD and HD. Lot of sub stations. I’m amazed how many movies are shown. I don’t mind the SD channels. After you start watching something you forget about it. It’s free, I’m in.

I don’t own an ATV and when? The Beta Test Thread went static. I may get one someday but I’m happy with the Devices I have now. I’m ready to give the TiVo a try.

This is like a soap opera with this “I’m about to get a TiVo.” So get one already and spare us the “As My World Turns” DVR melodrama…

1 Like

Great information on this thread. I decided to give the new Tivo OTA lifetime a try. Installed it yesterday. Family loves it. Definitely recreates the DirecTV experience. Fast, easy very polished. Feature set is very rich and extremely responsive. Remote is RF and is easy to use. I don’t have the Tivo streaming box or the need for a Tivo mini so for now still using my Tablo which to me streaming live to my ipad or laptop is its strength both on and off home network anyway still really like my Tablo but for the STB experience have to go with Tivo.

I will. They hit the stores Wednesday. You don’t have to read the drama although there plenty to go around here.

Great - this way we won’t have to read your daily DVR turmoils. Enjoy your future over at the TiVo forums. Bon voyage.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking so not a total loss. No need for a Slingbox now anyway.

ATV Tablo app is vaporware but they say a beta is coming. Any guess on date?

No clue. Just livin the dream here working out some other issues.

I went the Tivo OTA route and now have the normal TV experience back. The family would not go back to Tablo. It was worth a try but the overall experience with the new Tivo is just so much better.

I wish Tablo well. At least they didn’t lose any revenue from my decision as I purchased the lifetime subscription just before the Tivo OTA was released!!

@bluebaron

The lifetime subscription might serve you well as a future back up, if/when TIVO’s new owner liquidates the company and sells off the patents.

Chas

1 Like

I haven’t even attempted to get the family off of Tivo yet. There is no way the Tablo will be accepted until (possibly) the ATV4 app comes out. The Tablo has been sitting unnoticed (and unused) since Jan while waiting for the app. Trying to convince them to use an off-TV device to find and set up recordings and look through the guide and then to stream to the ATV isn’t something I want to try to convince them is a better way than Tivo (it’s not). The Tivo is feature-rich and the family loves it. I just hope the Tablo ATV app has enough features to convince them to drop Tivo (Tablo iOS and web are currently lacking feature-wise).

so with everything you spelled out here, why are you contemplating leaving TiVo?

Ok as I said…went with the Tivo OTA lifetime and that definitely has the family pleased. Has the same speed, maturity and feel as a cable STB DVR. I installed the Tivo Stream Box and it works pretty well, installation had some issues but called support and they talked me through it. The Tivo app doesn’t sync, everything is remote so pretty quick once I open the app. Does the basic streaming capability, my shows, scheduling, stream live and recorded in and out of home. Couple of things my Tablo does very well compared to Tivo app. Out of Home streaming works on iphone LTE so my unlimited TMobile works great with Tablo. Tivo doesn’t support LTE on iOS. Also live stream is basically a recording then stream so it accesses the hard disk not sure I like that. When your finished watching the live stream the app asks to delete the recording. Not sure Tivo can completely replace my Tablo live experience…time will tell. Maybe Tablo with the ATV app will bring it closer to the STB experience. My recommendation for Tablo at this point would be to add local HDMI and RF remote capability for your main Tablo box then use the current clients for remote TVs. Not sure about others but my family has a primary family TV room. Another Tablo capability that I like is I can access my Tablo from my mac and pc…I can’t do that with Tivo. Anyway some current thoughts that I thought people and Tablo would want to know.