Using Data on an out of network device

Hi, I have the TABLO LITE 2 tuner, paying for the ability to use out of network. My Tablo works on WiFi in my home and the access devices(Roku and iPads) pull in guide data and program data from my unlimited cable service, correct? Resulting in a lot of data being used. The question is, if I am out of town or country and my iPad is on local WiFi there,is there any data being charged to my account if I have unlimited internet where the Tablo is? Since I have unlimited cable data at home there’s no extra service charge right?

No, the media player devices (Roku, iPad) connected to your local network receive the guide data from the Tablo itself, which is also connected to your local network.
The Tablo gets updated guide data from the internet in the wee hours of every day.

If the remote media player is connected to a free internet service then, you pay nothing extra.
If the remote media player is connected to a non-free internet service then, you pay for that service.

For example, you bring your iPad to Starbucks, and connect it to their free wifi service.
Web browsing, watching YouTube videos, listening to Spotify music, watching Tablo programs…
You don’t pay anything extra.

However, if you bring your iPad to a place where they charge to use their wifi service, then you pay whatever they charge to use that service regardless of the app.
Web browsing, watching YouTube videos, listening to Spotify music, watching Tablo programs…

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response and concise answer!

For the record the Tablo only uses internet for firmware updates/downloading the guide. So it doesn’t use a whole lot.

1 Like