Trying to reformat a Drive from a used Tablo

I bought a 2nd Tablo that included a Seagate 2T Slim Drive used. All works great

Quite a bit of the drive is used up with recordings.
Once I installed this used system on my network, the Tablo doesn’t see these previous recordings to delete them.
I know this normal.

I wanted to reformat this external drive on my Laptop Win7 and Desktop Win8.1 to free up the disk space.

The drive connects to my computers but I cannot see it in Windows Explorer or “My Computer”.
However it does appear in the device manager showing the correct name, and indicates it is operating properly.

When I use the safe disconnect icon (to remove external drives) it does see the drive and I can click on it to disconnect.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Chuck

I suspect this is because Tablo formats the drive with one of the Linux-based file systems, which Windows Explorer doesn’t understand. You should be able to see and format the drive through Windows Disk Manager.

I suspect this is because Tablo formats the drive with one of the Linux-based file systems, which Windows Explorer doesn't understand. You should be able to see and format the drive through Windows Disk Manager.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Using my Win7 Laptop I did see the drive through the Windows Disk Manager as you instructed. Thank you

However when I click “Action” in the top toolbar, “format” in the drop down menu is grayed out (as well as “open” “explore” and more are also grayed out). The only options not grayed out are “delete” and “properties”

“Delete” should delete the existing volume on the disk, then you can re-create a partition and format it with NTFS or FAT32.

In Disk Manager on the bottom half of the screen right click on the partition on the drive and click delete volume. Then right click on the same area and click new volume. This will walk you through formatting the new volume and it should show up in Windows Explorer again.

"Delete" should delete the existing volume on the disk, then you can re-create a partition and format it with NTFS or FAT32.

GREAT - that works !  Was contemplating hitting delete, but wanted to hear from the forum first

In the options, I gave the drive a letter and formatted using NTFS

Thanks for your help !

Chuck  

In Disk Manager on the bottom half of the screen right click on the partition on the drive and click delete volume. Then right click on the same area and click new volume. This will walk you through formatting the new volume and it should show up in Windows Explorer again.

Great - that worked !

I Was contemplating hitting delete, but wanted to hear from the forum first

In the options, I gave the drive a letter and formatted using NTFS

Thanks for your help !

Chuck

I changed my hard drive for my Tablo from a 1TB Western Digital “My Book”,to a smaller Passport to hopefully improve performance. Now the older"My Book"for other storage needs to be reformatted and it isn’t being recognized by my computer, not showing up in Disk Manager to format but showing in devices working properly. Anybody have a fix?

@Jay What OS are you using on your PC? The Tablo would have formatted the drive to the .ext3 file system. You should be able to reformat on Windows, OSX or Linux.

@Jay I am a little confused.

When you say it is “showing in devices working properly” do you mean in the “Device Manager” (right click on Computer and click Properties, then click Device Manager). or “Disk Management”?

You get to the Disk Management by right clicking on Computer and clicking "Manage"

Just to trying to clarify your situation.

My OS is Windows 8. The hard drive isn’t recognized on Device “Manager”, but shows on My Devices as working properly on My Devices.  Thanks Support, but it isn’t even showing as a disk drive so I can format it. 

You want to go to Disk Management not Device Manager.

In windows explorer right click on “This PC” and click Manage.

In the window that pops up click on Disk Management.

All your disk’s will show in the middle of the window. In the lower half of the window you will see Disk 0, Disk 1, ect. with a graphic showing the partitions on each drive. Right click on the current partition of the drive you want format and click “Delete Volume”.

Next, right click in the same area and click “New Simple Volume” this will walk you through assigning a drive letter and formatting the drive.

Thanx roraniel. I got it now that I know the difference and there is between manager and management. It works now! Hadn’t reformatted a hard drive in a long time.

Glad you got it sorted out. Normally you can just reformat in Windows Explorer but when Windows Explorer does not recognize the drive you have to resort to Disk Management.

How soon we’ve forgotten FDISK, partitioning, etc. Note I said “we”. I only recall any of this because i have to do this sort of thing with servers, but thankfully it’s a piece of cake in VMWare…