There is no such thing as the perfect streaming device

I don’t think anyone said Roku “doesn’t work”. I think it is being presented as “In the same network conditions, Roku generally performs less favorably compared to other platforms like Android TV.” Considering we have had many, many people test both platforms under identical situations and report the same experience lead me to believe it’s a safe hypothesis.

Edit: Changed “conclusion” to “hypothesis” to avoid upsetting others :smile:

2 Likes

I’m not making that assumption. I am simply making no assumption at all. I know its seems strange on the internet but it is possible.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be shared. All I am simply standing athwart the “Many” or “all” or “most” roku statements being made based on no evidence.

Not defending, just wanting legitimate evidence outside of the anecdotal.

And thus “the conclusion”… the majority hath therefore delcareth it to be thy holy truth… nuff said.

I’m just saying we probably shouldn’t speaketh so as to suggesteth that there is a “holy way” to solveth everyone’s problems (since all have Roku’d and fall short of the glory of Nexus).

Of course, the right conclusion is there are some very very very very very very very very very opinionated people on this forum… which in my experience means it’s normal. :smile:

+1
So I now have Nexus Player, Fire TV, Roku 3(s) and Roku 4 - because I like to play with AV tech and to be knowledgeable about what’s available.
My Roku’s work okay with Tablo (and I record everything at 10Mbps)…but I do see the occassional LPW (maybe the new Roku firmware will finally kill those). That doesn’t really bother me too much, but the difference in overall UI performance of the Tablo app between Roku and the android based solutions is dramatic.
You don’t have to knock Roku to enjoy the much nicer user experience you get with Tablo on the Nexus Player (Android TV).

3 Likes

True, and seriously that post might have been the funniest I have seen on this forum.

So I agree that the words “Many” or “all” or “most” should not be used. But do you not notice a trend in the amount of Roku posts? Should I start counting the amount of times I’ve read the phrase “LPW” in the various threads? would that be sufficient evidence of a trend (not a “majority” or “most”)? I mean, no one is going to provide the “data” because no one has it except Tablo.

Tablo Customers here can confirm two things 1. Their performance of their devices 2. Noticing a trend of performance problems with a certain device based on threads and their experiences. I think “conclusion” shouldn’t be used but rather “my hypothesis”. The only people who can provide a conclusion are Tablo with statistics.

1 Like

true, that I can agree with.

Its the broad sweeping statements and emption that are bothersome.

I myself have gone through a few differnt types of LPW issues. Thankfully they are gone (for me) with build 9044 so hopefully we can all move on to screaming for the Apple TV beta :grinning:

2 Likes

Hear Hear! bring on the Apple TV Beta! :grinning:

1 Like

I agree. Let’s hope all the issues go away so I can go back to crying about lack of surround sound support.

3 Likes

I think the problem is with the Roku … (runs, ducks, hides…)

I’m glad you are finally getting it :wink:

So I got ticked off with my three Roku 3’s on Sunday and replaced them with three Nexus Players (keeping the Roku 3’s so I could have Amazon Prime and WatchESPN). Along with three micro USB to ethernet adapters and three HDMI cables, it cost me right at $200.

Now, if the Roku 7 v9044 firmware fixes the LPW and reboot issues with the Tablo, THE JOKE WILL BE ON ME!

Time will tell if the new Roku firmware is really the fix we have all been waiting for . . .

Seems like the 7 v9044 firmware has made the LPW issues go away for us. On the old firmware EVERY recorded show had an LPW at the beginning. We watched 3 shows last night without a single LPW. The reboot issue also appears to be gone, but the last time I said that it magically re-appeared, then disappeared a few days later.

Fingers crossed.

1 Like

So I tried to be a good little dooby. I kept my tablo recording at 720, I upgraded my tablo to 2…2.8, I upgraded my roku to v7, I did the “Please no more LPWs dance” with a virgin sow around the tv 20 times clockwise and 18 1/2 times counterclockwise (the pig got tired). I still got LPWs so I said screw it and bought an NVidia on Black Friday and it works great (except for missing the amazon prime so I’ll keep the roku 3 for that). I think Roku is in trouble based on it’s performance and support I think it will go the way of the Trash-80. Boy does fresh bacon taste great.

1 Like

You’re not suggesting that because some Tablo users have Roku issues, that in and of itself will place Roku on the ash heap of history? Tablo users aren’t even a blip on Roku’s radar.

You can run and duck but you cannot hide. You don’t live that far away from me. :wink:

You’re kidding right? If we deleted all the Roku related horror tales from this forum we’d have precious little to bitch about. But that’s no fun.

That does seem to be a reasonable assumption given the proliferation of Roku related “issues” expressed here. Seems Roku has taken on the aura of some kind of religious experience for some. This is not an ideological struggle folks. It’s supposed to be about problem solving thru shared experiences good and bad. Let the chips fall where they may.

1 Like

Exactly. Far too many people are taking it personally when testing suggests their platform of choice is not ideal. Most of these people haven’t even tried the alternative. I have no deep ties to Android TV, if it starts causing problems for me, it’s gone. So far, it works best with Tablo for me and others, so I’ll keep recommending it.

3 Likes

Over a year ago I cut the cord by buying into the Tablo and Roku model. It worked out until the last few FW updates. Now our TV viewing has become too frustrating due to LPW loops.

As a last ditch effort, trying to avoid going back to cable, I picked up a Nexus player for $49 at best buy. So far I haven’t seen any LPW, or equivalent issues. The interface is much faster and smoother as others have mentioned. The time to start a live show is about the same though (15-20 seconds).

But, there’s no Amazon Video. So ya, there’s no such thing as a perfect streaming device…

4 Likes