The OTA DVR landscape Is changing, Nuyvvo needs to as well

You mean I need to replace my LG440 flip phone. Wow I just heard that flip phones were coming back into style. Maybe I need to turn it on in another 10 days and see if it still works.

They sold you a product to do a job and it has. They owe you NOTHING.

Technology changes, Sony didnā€™t owe me a replacement for my analog TV.

Not to mention it will take quite some time for ATSC 3.0 to actually roll out, you are worried about something that hasnā€™t happened yet

2 Likes

5 years ago. Flip phone. Luv it. Tablet for apps, WiFi is everywhere.

Hah! Still luvin my LG flip.

LG flip phone all the way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Retro stuff is all the rage these daysā€¦

My favorite flip phone, and the last one I owned before I bought my first smart phone, was the Motorola Razr.

Not all technology is obsolete in 2-4 years. Manufactures and software providers push that concept to existing consumers to sell new products to keep up their revenue flow.

But it would be nice to hear that there really is a road map for future products. Engineering hardware is expensive and most companies have switched to finding ways to use other companies hardware.

Not only has Tivo hinted at not supplying Tivo developed hardware in the near future, it may supply DVR software on a Philips based platform.

I would imagine there is an internal (closely guarded) roadmap. If a roadmap is exposed, your sales drop significanty (puts consumers ā€œon holdā€).

Umā€¦ We just announced a whack of new stuff at CES!

Butā€¦

This is exactly correct. If we told everyone everything we had up our sleeves, we would lose any advantage we might have in terms of those innovations.

We certainly are not resting on our laurels. Weā€™re working hard to bring DROID, TUNER, LIVE and CLOUD into production and weā€™ve got other irons in the fire as well.

We are hiring additional app developers and will also be adding to the firmware team soon.

Yes, we are aware of ATSC 3.0. As we mentioned in another thread, despite the current administrationā€™s penchant for pushing legislation through quickly, adoption is still voluntary and broadcasters will still need to deliver the current ATSC feeds during a transition period.

The reality is that broadcasters will not be excited to spend millions on new equipment/infrastructure. The transition to ATSC 3.0 will be very slow and likely delayed several times like the digital transition so your current ATSC products including Tablo will have many more years left in them.

1 Like

Nothing announced at CES (Droid, Tuner, Live, Cloud) addresses the existing tablo product. Unless the Nvidia Shield hardware is the replacement for the current tablo hardware.

These are all fill new product markets.

How many existing customers will replace their 4-tuner tablo with a 2-tuner USB based DROID AND a Nvidia Shield.

How many customers will replace their existing 4-tuner tablo with a 1-tuner WiFi based tuner.

How many customers have actually calculated the amount of data they record on a monthly basis and doubled it for CLOUD based storage and retrieval. I donā€™t see data caps going away in the near future.

I hear what you are saying. And, based on past evidence (most notably the transition from analog to digital), you are correct.

However, there is one very big (HUGE) difference. ATSC 3.0 has mandator Digital Right reMoval (DRM) baked in. Which means the hard fought right to record TV (done back in the 1980ā€™s with the introduction of VCRs) is likely to get eroded quite a bit.

Plus, the broadcast landscape looks a lot different today than it used to (when the CRTC and FCC were set-up). The OTA broadcasters are (for the most part) owned by the same companies that provide cable and produce the content. Which means the broadcasters (through their parent companies) have a much stronger desire to go ATSC 3.0 than they did to go digital in the first place. They will be able to force us to pay for the content repeatedly instead of once (we pay by watching commercials when using OTA).

In addition, (at least in Canada) we have a right to format shift out content (that is to say we can transcode). DRM takes that away (or at least takes it out of the hands of most people).

Korea maybe the first to go mainstream with ATSC 3.0. They want full scale ATSC 3.0 roll out before the end of the 2017. In time for new TV sets be in customer hands by the 2018 Winter Olympics that are being held in Korea. The main two TV tuner suppliers already have ATSC 3.0 tuners available.

The CEO of Sinclair Broadcasting wants to jump on ATSC 3.0 ASAP because it allows for a new business model.

The estimate to modify a tower to just broadcast ATSC 3.0 is $100K. The estimate for equipment to product a channels own ATSC 3.0 content is $1M.

I learned that what you bought is what you get. Donā€™t believe or expect any upgrade promises. The company owes you nothing.

They could stop developing the Tablo V1 today, and do nothing for the next year. Would it be a smart business decision? Probably not, but you got what you paid for.
They could release a Tablo V2, and stop development on V1 also. Smart business decision? Probably. Are people going to complain? Yes, itā€™s the nature of the internet. Tough titty though.

You donā€™t like what you got? Put your :moneybag: where your :open_mouth: is, and either upgrade or flee to the competitor.

:money_mouth:

2 Likes

Spilling coffee on a device is the only good reason to upgrade.
Speaking of which, time to get a fresh cupper, and back to work on my 9 year old lappy. :wink:

hmmā€¦ turning device upside down + coffee == hot coffee? Just an idea. Might be a differentiator.

1 Like

WELL put! I second that position