The OTA DVR landscape Is changing, Nuyvvo needs to as well

I understand better where you are coming from. If I had spent more than $10,000 on a home theater I might feel the same way. But alas, I have not. Perhaps there are others similarly situated. Consequently, there are many other features that some would regard as more basic than AC3 support, including each and every feature slated for the next upgrade. Looking forward to all upcoming improvements - including Dolby support.

I think delivering AC3/audio pass through and remote logon sooner than later would go a long way in satisfying major sticking points with existing (and potentially near-future) customers. Although I disagree with the decision of not publishing a roadmap, I respect Nuyvvoā€™s decision as long as features are delivered in a more timely basis than what we have seen lately. Otherwise I fear Nuyvvo will be leapfrogged by the competition that will be here very soon. Remember a company called RIM?

2 Likes

@TabloCEO
Thanks for the update, I am sure we all appreciate the personal touch even if it doesnā€™t appear that way.

I am very happy with the decisions that Tablo has made so far. Those features in the next update referenced in the above post definitely trump 5.1 audio support. I hope Tablo rectifies Tablo Connect to allow usage on the Roku and / or add a login capability so no pairing is neeeed for remote viewing before 5.1 audio is even thought of.

@Flatulator
Thatā€™s a low blow, just because Tablo is another Canadian company does not mean the execs over at Tablo are going to make the grave mistakes those bozos at RIM did. It is an unfair comparison, the cellphone market is very different than the OTA DVR market.

@Scott_Curtis
For someone who spent $10K on home theater equipment, I think theyā€™d be a cable subscriber and not investing in OTA sources for entertainment.

4 Likes

I agree that everything in the next release is basic and should come ahead of AC3. I just hate the fact that we went from saying it would happen by the end of 2014 to having no idea whatsoever if or when it will ever arrive. Iā€™d be a lot less pissed if I knew for sure it was going to happen, preferably in the next 6 months. It does not take all that much to rack up $10k on a system. All I have is a good 67" 1080p set, a nice receiver, a power amp, a Roku, a PS3, a music streamer, a nice Paradigm speaker system and a big subwoofer from a company called SVS. The dedicated home theater guys with front projector systems are often in for three to four times that. It is enthusiasts like us who are the early adopters of a lot of these technologies. We are the ones who evangelize and tell our friends and family members what to buy. When products do not meet expectations, word travels very quickly in these circles. Iā€™m just saying Tablo should not be dismissive of that, despite the fact that we do not represent the broader mainstream market.

3 Likes

I think you are incorrectly assuming that this is all about saving money. I think you are also conflating long-term investments with ongoing expenses. Iā€™ve been an audio-video enthusiast for thirty years. The equipment I have now is the result of decades of upgrading and incremental investments. The bulk of my current back of electronics date back to around 2007-2008. I foresee another big expenditure once things settle out with UHD/HDR/HDMI 2.0. None of this has anything to do with whether I want to spend $160/mo for hundreds of channels I do not watch so that I can DVR shows from a handful of channels. I would rather spend my money on streaming services and use OTA to capture all the broadcast networks.

3 Likes

@Scott_Curtis

You have voiced your frustration in 2 threads now over this issue. It has been heard, acknowledged, and responded to where we have been told it is not the priority you want it to be. We all hope itā€™s done soon but until then we all just need to wait. No point in berating each other over it, it will accomplish nothing.

I think it is reasonable to assume most of us are not avid A/V enthusiasts so unfortunately the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

2 Likes

The issue was not mentioned, much less addressed. Nonetheless, it seems nobody from Tablo is willing to address it, so I wonā€™t waste any more of my time asking.

All things come to those who wait. See if you can get info from Tivo, let alone any other DVR company. Nuyvvo has to protect there business. Just wait everyone, we will get everything we are asking for. Development takes a while when you want to do it right to please your customers. Iā€™ve been doing it for 25 years so I should definitely know.

1 Like

ā€œDevelopment takes a while when you want to do it rightā€ - Agreed, however most software companies no longer care about this in favour of getting more features out the door to stay ā€œcompetitiveā€.

ā€œto please your customersā€ - Disagree a bit here, pleasing customers is next to impossible. Pleasing enough of them to stay viable as a company usually means rapid minor releases with incremental feature additions, then at least one major release per year. At least, that is the trend Iā€™m seeing after 20 years in the software business.

1 Like

I think you missed the point, @theuser86. RIM was first to market with a corporate email device that took off. I was actually part of their customer survey group back in 2000 when I had my first Blackberry 950 and 954 and had regular meetings and surveys with our account manager. Once they were established, they began to slow down in reacting to customer feedback and figured that they would be king of the mountain forever based on the strength of their existing product and market share. And we all know what happened when the competition showed up.

I thought the comparison I was making between RIM and Nuyvvo was obvious - and not because they both share Canadian roots.

2 Likes

Good point, but if you please the majority of you customers, your on the right track.

Just because you donā€™t see a lot of other people complaining about lack of surround support doesnā€™t mean we arenā€™t here. I check in only occasionally because it seems Tablo has little interest in adding the feature.

I have two TVā€™s currently hooked up to surround sound systems, along with two other TVā€™s with streaming devices and no surround capability.

Iā€™m actually interested in using a 4-Tuner Table IN ADDITION to my cable subscription, not in place of it. I find that I often want to record more than the two programs my cable DVR will handle, and at times two or even three of these are from broadcast channels.

That being said, there are two features that I will require before I purchase a Tablo for my home.

1. Surround Sound support - OTA broadcasts excellent sound. I will not put up with less than excellent recordings.

2. Playback while recording. I often want to begin watching a show before it is over, and catch up with the recording while it continues. Having to wait for a show to complete before watching the recording is a deal-breaker for me.

2 Likes

You can start watching a show before the recording is completed, but you wonā€™t have any thumbnails (those are added after the fact). We just click the Roku d-pad enough times to forward about 3 mins to skip commercial breaks (just like we did before thumbnails).

I am not sure why anyone would think you couldnā€™t watch a show while it is being recorded. There were some glitches with the Android client early on where this was a problem, but they have long been fixed.

I hope 5.1 is eventually added, no idea when.

You can definitely watch a recording in progress. No need to wait until it is done recording.

There must be a confusing thread somewhere, because at one point I had the impression that a tuner was required to watch recordings, now I donā€™t know where I saw that, but this seems related to that.

A tuner is needed for Tablo Connect to watch recordings, assuming you arenā€™t using full quality. But that is the only case.

Yeah, I found that out later, but I went on for a while thinking otherwise.

I agree with the OP 100%. The focus shifted from ā€œletā€™s make our current customers happyā€ to ā€œletā€™s acquire as many customers as we canā€. From a business perspective, I can understand almost understand this, everyone wants to make money. Making current customers happy doesnā€™t put green in the bank right away. Acquiring new customers does.

But right now, there are a lot of minor annoyances. My free year is coming to an end in 1.5 months. Iā€™ll then decide if Iā€™m spending $150 on lifetime, or going with a new product.

Ironically I think if a few issues were addressed now (5.1 sound being one of them) theyā€™d make current customers happier AND get those that are on the sidelines that are waiting for 5.1 sound. Seems like thereā€™s lots of them according to some of the comments here (Iā€™m not one of them BTW - 5.1 is not an issue for me).

Same here on the renewal - at this time Iā€™m hedging my bets and only renewing a year. I think there will be lots of competition coming down the pike very soon.

3 Likes