The OTA DVR landscape Is changing, Nuyvvo needs to as well

I know I’m not the only one with a Samsung s5 who’s had problems with playing/resuming on the Android. Resume works, if I started watching on something else, like a Roku. But when I start on the Android, and stop, it doesn’t store that the video has been watched.

I complained about it, they said o yeah, we’ll fix it. I think we’re on month five now.

Also Tablo connect keeps needing to be toggled even with a static IP, time to email support.

@Max

Are you using UPnP on your router to configure the port forwarding for Tablo Connect? If so, turn it off and manually configure the port forwarding.

Don’t get me wrong, Tablo has a great product, but they’re missing a few key elements of a basic DVR. I’m a techie, I might be willing to put up with some of it, but there’s also a limit.

Update: the Tablo player app updated a few days ago, I just checked, the resume finally works.

1 Like

I am using Upnp, I’ll try the manual way, thanks.

Manual is more secure anyway.

1 Like

When can we expect to see support for AC3, 5.1 Surround Sound?

3 Likes

There are other issues in line before those, though we have only been waiting 2 months or so.

1 Like

ATSC 3.0 not backwards compatible. Not happening yet but every Tablo rendered worthless following completion of rollout. Hey Tablo, what plans do you have for customers when every single person will be forced to buy a new Tablo box?

Many people don’t own a tablo or tivo and watch OTA via the tuner in their TV’s. What are LG, Samsung, Sony, etc. doing to keep my investment in my current TV’s viable?

Not a darn thing. They want you to have to purchase new hardware. Welcome to the disposable economy.

4 Likes

TV tuner will be obsolete as well but the TV will continue work fine with external sources so that analogy is rather weak. All Tablo, Tivo OTA, etc. will be worthless and non-functional = zero value

In both cases you’ll need to buy new hardware (ATSC 3 tuner). Seems pretty much the same to me.

2 Likes

The TV isn’t dead when ATSC 3.0 replaces ATSC 1.0, only the single internal tuner, which can be replaced by use of an external tuner which will likely be low cost. The Tablo is DEAD unless Nuyvvo has devised a 2 or 4 tuner ATSC 3.0 USB tuner or has partnered with SiliconDust to offer a network tuner both of which seem unlikely.

How do you know the internal tuner can’t be reprogrammed for ATSC 3.0?

How is this any different from the NTSC to ATSC transition, which obsoleted OTA VHS recorders?

1 Like

If you live within 150 miles of the Mexican border you probably won’t see ATSC 1.0 disappear for a long time. Mexico just forced broadcasters to turn off NTSC last year. And since many U.S. OTA broadcasters in this zone also target Mexico viewers ATSC 1.0 may live on.

The new administration now controls the FCC.

“The petition explains how the industry plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in
parallel with the current ATSC 1.0 standard to address compatibility
issues. Under this approach, a temporary “host” broadcaster in a market
would agree to simulcast on its airwaves the other DTV signals of those
stations broadcasting with ATSC 3.0. The “host” station’s programming
would reciprocally be carried as a programming stream by one of the
stations deploying the Next-Gen TV standard.”

http://atsc.org/newsletter/fcc-considering-petition-for-voluntary-adoption-of-atsc-3-0-transmission-standard/

Most people these days don’t keep “high tech” stuff more than 2-4 yrs. So whats the big deal?? When did you get your last cell phone and when will you replace it?? A lot to do about nothing!

Cheers

4 Likes

You mean I need to replace my LG440 flip phone. Wow I just heard that flip phones were coming back into style. Maybe I need to turn it on in another 10 days and see if it still works.

They sold you a product to do a job and it has. They owe you NOTHING.

Technology changes, Sony didn’t owe me a replacement for my analog TV.

Not to mention it will take quite some time for ATSC 3.0 to actually roll out, you are worried about something that hasn’t happened yet

2 Likes

5 years ago. Flip phone. Luv it. Tablet for apps, WiFi is everywhere.

Hah! Still luvin my LG flip.