The OTA DVR landscape Is changing, Nuyvvo needs to as well

I am watching the Silicon Dust solution pretty closely, because I have a huge NAS and a mature version of that might suit me very well. I’m pretty disappointed with how things have turned out with Tablo: remote pairing limitations, no AC3, no NAS support or export support. They keep making vague promises and then delivering tiny incremental improvements very, very slowly. I am starting to think they are grossly under-funded.

2 Likes

@Scott_Curtis

The SD HDHomeRun coming out sounds great, but with no Roku or even iOS support at launch I would be hard pressed to switch from Tablo.

My front ends are 2 Roku 3s, iPad Air, and iPhone 6. And a Fire TV Stick which doesn’t get much use.

1 Like

As some of us celebrate Memorial Day this weekend, many of us are reminded of all the blessings in our lives which for which others have sacrificed to help make possible. For some, the holiday provides some perspective on any day-today suffering over the crippling frustration of lack of Dolby audio support, or the agony of Tablo Connect failure, or the rage over lack of mass deletion. Hoping everyone has a great weekend with family and loved ones.

2 Likes

I am not expecting the Silicon Dust solution to be ready any time soon. I’m just watching how it evolves. They are a bigger and more established company than Nuyvvo, so they might have the fire power to mature their product faster. Who knows? If Tablo gets its act together before some of these other solutions surpass it, I’ll likely stick with Tablo.

2 Likes

@getcashmoney - Thank you for completing my post! You nailed it. My intent in starting this thread was to consolidate our collective frustrations and hopefully make Nuyvvo aware of how we felt about the product, how we want to see it evolve so we can recommend it, and lastly but most importantly, keep it ahead of the pack in features and value as competition becomes available. I truly believe it’s not too late as long as they take action. What say you, Nuyvvo?

4 Likes

Dear Tablo Community –

As the CEO of Nuvyyo, I very much appreciate the support you’ve all shown to our company and our product over the last year. We continue to remain committed to maintaining an open dialogue with you on feature requests and will provide as much insight as possible into upcoming features.

Unfortunately we cannot publish our roadmap with intended delivery dates for two main reasons: firstly, in order to maintain a competitive advantage and secondly so we can maintain the flexibility to change focus if and when priorities change.

This year we plan to continue to develop new features and address many existing feature requests while we also explore additional opportunities that could lead to expansion of our user base and revenue stream. In fact, several of the requests mentioned in this thread are being actively developed and will be ready this summer.

For example, in the next release we will be delivering the following features:
• Support for larger drives and fast formatting
• Bulk delete of episodes in a series
• Sort recording by most recent
• Smart sync (sync will occur in the background)

I realize that some features have been delayed for longer than both you and I would have liked. However six months ago we made a strategic decision based on customer feedback to focus on expanding our app ecosystem especially for ‘living room’ set-top-boxes. Given the intensive work required for this project we made the difficult decision to delay, but not dismiss the development of some features. Now that the majority of the work on these apps has been completed, we can again refocus on building these key features.

We are also planning to launch a program to provide access to a full REST API to interested 3rd party developers in Q3 of 2015. This will give talented members of the Tablo community a chance to develop add-ons and tools for use with Tablo like the Tablo Plex app.

I assure you that the team is pushing hard every day to make Tablo the best Over-the-Air DVR on the market and we’re doing everything within our power and current resources to provide you with the best end-user experience.

We have a lot of great updates in store for this year so I hope you can continue to remain patient as we develop and test these with the help of our beta team.

If you’d like to be added to the beta team and receive advanced access to new features, please contact support@tablotv.com and make a request to be added to the list. Please make sure to provide the MAC address of your Tablo unit(s) which is located on the bottom of the Tablo.

Thank you,

Grant Hall
CEO, Nuvyyo Inc.

21 Likes

Thank you, Grant, for responding to this thread. I think many of us just wanted assurances that concerns were being heard and development hasn’t slowed down to a crawl. This next update sounds like it will solve some of the major issues of the Tablo.

I know I am looking forward to seeing what Tablo has planned next.

4 Likes

Lack of AC3 support is one of the things holding back adoption among home theater enthusiasts. Those of us who were early adopters all had the expectation that surround sound would be implemented by the end of last year. It never happened and that has definitely been a topic of discussion around Tablo on AVS Forums, the Audio Annex and other forums. Nobody who has invested potentially $10,000 or more in home theater equipment wants a stereo-only television solution. Nobody. Lack of this extremely basic feature is deeply frustrating to the point where I no longer recommend Tablo to folks. This is not some obscure thing. This is the kind of very basic feature that most people would just assume works. Show me any other mainstream product or service that does not support at least DD 5.1. It is a glaring omission.

5 Likes

I understand better where you are coming from. If I had spent more than $10,000 on a home theater I might feel the same way. But alas, I have not. Perhaps there are others similarly situated. Consequently, there are many other features that some would regard as more basic than AC3 support, including each and every feature slated for the next upgrade. Looking forward to all upcoming improvements - including Dolby support.

I think delivering AC3/audio pass through and remote logon sooner than later would go a long way in satisfying major sticking points with existing (and potentially near-future) customers. Although I disagree with the decision of not publishing a roadmap, I respect Nuyvvo’s decision as long as features are delivered in a more timely basis than what we have seen lately. Otherwise I fear Nuyvvo will be leapfrogged by the competition that will be here very soon. Remember a company called RIM?

2 Likes

@TabloCEO
Thanks for the update, I am sure we all appreciate the personal touch even if it doesn’t appear that way.

I am very happy with the decisions that Tablo has made so far. Those features in the next update referenced in the above post definitely trump 5.1 audio support. I hope Tablo rectifies Tablo Connect to allow usage on the Roku and / or add a login capability so no pairing is neeeed for remote viewing before 5.1 audio is even thought of.

@Flatulator
That’s a low blow, just because Tablo is another Canadian company does not mean the execs over at Tablo are going to make the grave mistakes those bozos at RIM did. It is an unfair comparison, the cellphone market is very different than the OTA DVR market.

@Scott_Curtis
For someone who spent $10K on home theater equipment, I think they’d be a cable subscriber and not investing in OTA sources for entertainment.

4 Likes

I agree that everything in the next release is basic and should come ahead of AC3. I just hate the fact that we went from saying it would happen by the end of 2014 to having no idea whatsoever if or when it will ever arrive. I’d be a lot less pissed if I knew for sure it was going to happen, preferably in the next 6 months. It does not take all that much to rack up $10k on a system. All I have is a good 67" 1080p set, a nice receiver, a power amp, a Roku, a PS3, a music streamer, a nice Paradigm speaker system and a big subwoofer from a company called SVS. The dedicated home theater guys with front projector systems are often in for three to four times that. It is enthusiasts like us who are the early adopters of a lot of these technologies. We are the ones who evangelize and tell our friends and family members what to buy. When products do not meet expectations, word travels very quickly in these circles. I’m just saying Tablo should not be dismissive of that, despite the fact that we do not represent the broader mainstream market.

3 Likes

I think you are incorrectly assuming that this is all about saving money. I think you are also conflating long-term investments with ongoing expenses. I’ve been an audio-video enthusiast for thirty years. The equipment I have now is the result of decades of upgrading and incremental investments. The bulk of my current back of electronics date back to around 2007-2008. I foresee another big expenditure once things settle out with UHD/HDR/HDMI 2.0. None of this has anything to do with whether I want to spend $160/mo for hundreds of channels I do not watch so that I can DVR shows from a handful of channels. I would rather spend my money on streaming services and use OTA to capture all the broadcast networks.

3 Likes

@Scott_Curtis

You have voiced your frustration in 2 threads now over this issue. It has been heard, acknowledged, and responded to where we have been told it is not the priority you want it to be. We all hope it’s done soon but until then we all just need to wait. No point in berating each other over it, it will accomplish nothing.

I think it is reasonable to assume most of us are not avid A/V enthusiasts so unfortunately the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

2 Likes

The issue was not mentioned, much less addressed. Nonetheless, it seems nobody from Tablo is willing to address it, so I won’t waste any more of my time asking.

All things come to those who wait. See if you can get info from Tivo, let alone any other DVR company. Nuyvvo has to protect there business. Just wait everyone, we will get everything we are asking for. Development takes a while when you want to do it right to please your customers. I’ve been doing it for 25 years so I should definitely know.

1 Like

“Development takes a while when you want to do it right” - Agreed, however most software companies no longer care about this in favour of getting more features out the door to stay “competitive”.

“to please your customers” - Disagree a bit here, pleasing customers is next to impossible. Pleasing enough of them to stay viable as a company usually means rapid minor releases with incremental feature additions, then at least one major release per year. At least, that is the trend I’m seeing after 20 years in the software business.

1 Like

I think you missed the point, @theuser86. RIM was first to market with a corporate email device that took off. I was actually part of their customer survey group back in 2000 when I had my first Blackberry 950 and 954 and had regular meetings and surveys with our account manager. Once they were established, they began to slow down in reacting to customer feedback and figured that they would be king of the mountain forever based on the strength of their existing product and market share. And we all know what happened when the competition showed up.

I thought the comparison I was making between RIM and Nuyvvo was obvious - and not because they both share Canadian roots.

2 Likes

Good point, but if you please the majority of you customers, your on the right track.

Just because you don’t see a lot of other people complaining about lack of surround support doesn’t mean we aren’t here. I check in only occasionally because it seems Tablo has little interest in adding the feature.

I have two TV’s currently hooked up to surround sound systems, along with two other TV’s with streaming devices and no surround capability.

I’m actually interested in using a 4-Tuner Table IN ADDITION to my cable subscription, not in place of it. I find that I often want to record more than the two programs my cable DVR will handle, and at times two or even three of these are from broadcast channels.

That being said, there are two features that I will require before I purchase a Tablo for my home.

1. Surround Sound support - OTA broadcasts excellent sound. I will not put up with less than excellent recordings.

2. Playback while recording. I often want to begin watching a show before it is over, and catch up with the recording while it continues. Having to wait for a show to complete before watching the recording is a deal-breaker for me.

2 Likes