'Tested' Hard Drives

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME: Western Digital
PRODUCT NAME: My Book
SIZE: 4 TB
LINK: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-book-4tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605524.p?skuId=5605524
COMMENTS: The My Book has a sleep feature, which didn’t work for the Tablo initially. You have to go to the Western Digital web site and download the Drive Utilities and install it. Using the Drive Utilities, you can set the sleep feature to not sleep. I had to perform a hard reset after changing that setting, but it worked after that.

1 Like

Can you please post a screenshot of said utility and setting?

Here’s a screen shot from the WD User Manual (https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705107.pdf):

Samsung T3 Portable SSD - 1TB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PT1T0B/AM)
works good
can be purchased amazon or ebay
pricey BUT quite and cool running NO moving parts and tiny

I have seen the posts that a UBS3.0 drive makes no difference. Does a SSD help performance in any way?

I have a spare SSD that I could use for this. It would require a drive enclosure. Is there one proven to work well?

see post above every problem i have ever had with my tablo went away when i switched over to the ssd. not a single reboot , stutter, hiccup etc rock soild tablo runs cooler etc you get my drift

Hi Bernie,

Yes, I had read your post which prompt additional questions related to loading times. In a different thread I read of a 40 seconds go switch from Amazon Fire to see the Tablo channel guide. I am a pretty forgiving guy, but time delays like this are ridiculous.

I have read that SSD enclosures with a certain chipset do not work well. I have a Samsung EVO SSD . Is there a preferred drive enclosure?

hey i don’t know about enclosures i took a shot on the 1 tb samsung always how good luck with their products there pricey Samsung Portable SSD T3 1TB AES 256bit, MU-PT1T0B_EU this is the model i use shop around you can find them in the high 2s to low 3s hundreds i’am complete satisfied with the way it works ZERO problems

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND: HGST
PRODUCT NAME: HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6 Gbps 64 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
PRODUCT NAME: Eaxer USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk External Enclosure Case for 2.5 /3.5 inch SATA HDD and SSD
SIZE: 2TB
LINKS:

COMMENTS: I initially had a 4TB HP MyPassport that I previously owned and used for a temporary backup but it wasn’t cutting it (and people did state they were having problems with MyPassport). After reading this thread I found people had some success with adding a USB Hard drive enclosure. I had a HGST hard drive that has been unused for the past 4 months as I had upgraded to a larger drive. I deleted the partition in Windows before adding it to the Eaxer enclosure (which is backwards compatible to USB 2.0) and then adding the enclosure to Tablo.

Performance has been excellent. No strange slow downs, skips, or other oddities with this setup. It should be noted that the enclosure supports 8TB and I may upgrade in the future. HGST makes quality drives that have low failure rates. Google BackBlaze HGST and they have solid stats on failure rates. I think this is a cost-effective superior solution as I have a faster 7200 hard drive that’s less expensive than a purpose-built USB hard drive.

NOTE: The enclosure is not very well cooled. I recommend having it on its side to enhance cooling.
NOTE2: I didn’t have success finding an inexpensive well-cooled enclosure that was backwards compatible with USB 2.0. I’ll continue looking and update if I find something better. I did find one that was $56 dollars on NewEgg…that’s as much as the drive!

1 Like

I recall setting up my Tablo and seeing a firmware update with notation that the update supported larger HDDs. Is this drive still blacklisted as a “bad drive”?

On a more general note, is there some curated list of drive experiences, since IIRC the “official” Tablo forum only had suggestions of a shortlist of 2 drive types tested by them?

Sad because I tried a Toshiba Canvio 1Tb drive which they said was good and getting segmented recordings. Support tells me it’s pulling too much power, so use a hub. I am now getting pixelation which I didn’t have before. I guess I am going to have to buy a USB 3 hub and see if that helps or just buy another new HDD that is only USB 2.0 and see how that works

CONFIRMED: GOOD
BRAND NAME: Western Digital
PRODUCT NAME: EasyStore
SIZE: 4 TB
LINK: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-4tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792400.p?skuId=5792400
COMMENTS: Works with Tablo Dual-OTA DVR

Might have just gone for the 8 TB, it’s on sale for $160, 4 TB is $200

“Might have just gone for the 8 TB, it’s on sale for $160, 4 TB is $200”

The 8TB is for sure the better deal now. I picked up the 4TB before Christmas when it was on sale for $90, just a little more than I was expecting to spend for a 1 or 2 TB drive. Only issue is that it’s a physically large drive.

2 Likes

Just cover with black electrical tape. I do this with all my lights surrounding my tv. The picture shows a piece of black electrical tape covering the light on my Xbox one S.

Link please?

This one was recently on sale for $140

CONFIRMED Excellent
BRAND: Seagate
PRODUCT NAME: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT5000100)
SIZE: 5 TB
LINK: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0O5R2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
COMMENTS: I bought a second Hard drive of the same brand and size and it was delivered on May,1 2018. The original one I purchased was back in April of 2016 along with my 4-Tuner Digital Video Tablo Recorder [DVR] for Over-The-Air [OTA] HDTV with Wi-Fi for LIVE TV Streaming.
Both Hard drives were detected on my iPhone Tablo app and I utilized the Tablo Setup page:

1 Like

I have seen several posts of Samsung EVO SSDs working well. I have a spare one. Is it possible to just use a USB to SSD adapter cable? i.e. no enclosure.

Confirmed good
Brand: Seagate
Model: Backup+ Hub BK D781
Size: (8002 GB)
Link: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/seagate-seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-3-5-usb-3-0-external-desktop-hard-drive-stel8000100-stel8000100/10453010.aspx
Comment: currently on sale