Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

I’m using MCEBuddy and it seems to be working quite well.

1 Like

It does work well, but it takes a LONG Time. I usually do the conversions overnite so it doesn’t tie up my computer.

Chas

2 Likes

I have it running on my Plex server so it is always waiting to receive new files. But yeah, it does take a long time, especially if you want a high quality end file.

2 Likes

@CycleJ I love your software. I’ve installed the latest release and it works great, but I have an issue on Windows 8.1. The GUI window is smaller than the content so I can’t see or access any of the buttons in the bottom row and the window is not resizeable. I tried this on my Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC’s and it displayed fine. It’s just on my Windows 8.1 PC. I can work around the issue though. I just go into the properties of the shortcut and specify to open the window maximized.

I’ll have to try that on mine when I get a chance. My old laptop ran Windows 7, and I recently updated to Windows 10. Tablo Ripper ran fine on both. I’ll give it a try on my Windows 8.1 Tablet and report back my results.

The problem is that the stored screen size and position is out of sync with the software version. The easiest way to fix it is to find the ‘settings.xml’ file under c: program data, Tablo ripper, and delete it.

You’ll have to reconfigure the app, but you’ll see the full screen.

1 Like

Works perfectly on my Win 8.1 tablet, exactly as it did on Win 7 and Win 10.

1 Like

Can somebody explain what the “Install Services” button actually installs?

Many thanks,
Larry

There are two program executables. The desktop shortcut runs the GUI, which allows you to configure the application, rip new shows using optional filters, or rip user selected shows. All that runs on the foreground, which means the program has to be open.

Installing the service registers the background service with Windows and requires administrator permission to complete. Once installed and running, it’s available to rip new shows using optional filters in the background. You don’t need to be logged in.

You can select if you want to rip in the foreground or background using the GUI as only one program can be active at a time to prevent conflicts. If the background service is running you can stop it to rip in the foreground. There’s no need to uninstall it.

1 Like

Great explanation @CycleJ for a truly well done and useful program, or more accurately stated, a pair of programs ! I really want to thank you on behalf of the Tablo community for providing a much needed and very much appreciated resource with this ripper. Bravo !!!

Larry

2 Likes

Downloaded this latest version yesterday and seems it is not working fully. It took maybe a minute to come up after launched. Once up, I set it to rip as I have with earlier versions and it started. Came back a few hours later to see it stalled and it went into some kind of full screen but only the background went to full screen. All the text was in the top left corner the same size it was before I left it. It was locked up so I had to do a CTRL-Alt-Del to close it. Tried it again this morning and it took about a minute to load and came up in that same full screen configuration as before. I do think some pretty important pieces are missing. Had to uninstall it.

Seems like a few people have been having trouble with the “fixed” window size, so I changed the window to be resizable.

And for reasons I don’t understand, sometimes the Nuvyyo server is really slow responding to a request for a list of your Tablo devices. So I added an option to bypass that request IF you have a static IP assigned to your Tablo.

I do have a really large timeout value associated with the Nuvyyo server request, so I suspect that’s why it appears the app “hung up” when you started it. I’ll try to remember to reduce that value and fail “sooner”.

Meanwhile, try out the latest version when you get a chance,

Feedback is always appreciated. Thanks for all the helpful remarks and suggestions. :sunglasses:

Thanks again CycleJ for the fast responses you have to your customers. This latest version (v.1.0.6) seems fine, ripping as I type this. I am running the background service, I presume this means TabloRipper will do it’s stuff whenever there is something to be done, within the time times selected. If so, that is good as I have the times set for 00 to 24. I only see 7% to 8% CPU use, so I see no need on this system to have it off, unless there are conflicts in some way. We’ll see. The option to use a static IP is a good one, as most of the time IP’s remain the same. Most routers have the ability to hold specific IP’s to a device anyway, so I believe this will be the best option. Load time is still about 45 seconds after startup, but if it runs in the background most always, it really makes no difference.

I have to say you have a fine piece of work on your hands.

Edit - Forgot to mention, I am ripping 30 to 1. In other words, it takes 1 minute to rip 30 minutes of content. I am a videographer and do quite a bit of editing/rendering, and can say this is fast. Quality is as good as the original and I can use this format fine in MCEBuddy to remove commercial content if I choose.

-Rodger

3 Likes

You’re definitely a power user! And correct in your assumptions regarding the background service.

One suggestion - consider scheduling the background service to only be active at the end of your recording day. That way any CPU drain won’t affect your normal PC use.

A side benefit is that MCEBuddy can’t start until TabloRipper finishes, and that’s a significant drain on your CPU.

Again, many thanks to everyone that’s helping make this a useful program. Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

1 Like

I am receiving the following error when trying to run the executable “This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.”

I am on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

The standard version is 64-bit only (for performance), but if you’re stuck on 32-bit Windows, you’re stuck.

I’ve uploaded a 32-bit build of the current version to the “experimental” folder (use the same download link, you’ll see it). I can’t promise to keep the 32-bit version updated unless it turns out to be wildly popular.

But give it a go, and let me know what you think.

How about adding a button that will take you to the my.tablotv.com link? Great work on this software, it is very useful!

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ll check it out tonight!

@jasonehuber
Simple and obvious, yet didn’t occur to me. Check out version 1.0.8.

2 Likes

Many thanks @CycleJ for this great app. I just dowloaded it today and ripped a movie I had already recorded on my Tablo and it worked perfectly !!! :smile:

4 Likes