Tablo requires an internet connection?

But doesn’t Android and iOS devices still require an internet connection to access your ‘local’ Tablo?

One would think you could simply type in the local IP address of the Tablo within your local network via the URL address bar and get the same screen… I simply don’t understand why you can’t do that.

I also have multiple roku’s and would also like a full feature roku app to be finally released. But I don’t think embedding a full featured WEB app and the various app services inside the tablo server is a good idea since there are other device apps that aren’t WEB based.

Finalize the new Roku app and be done with it.

1 Like

The actual interface you use to access the Tablo in the Chrome browser is actually a live website hosted by Tablo. This website is not stored locally on the Tablo hence having to go to my.tablotv.com

This is true. The iPad app and the original legacy Tablo channel on the Roku do not require a live internet connection.

The new Tablo Preview channel on the Roku does need one.

That was true at one point but we have since added network discovery to the Roku channel.

Every time you open the Roku channel, it will use our network discovery tools to find your Tablo. If it can’t find it on your local network, it will fall back to Tablo’s servers to try to find it.

Long story short, you should be able to use your Tablo via Roku with an external web outage. You’ll still need your home network to be working and power, but it will work.

Our apps that are web-enabled (iPhone, Android, FireTV) will require a live connection.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

At some point, will it be possible to set manual recordings via the Roku Channel as you can in the other devices… and primarily WITHOUT the need of an internet connection? I really like how the Tablo is local LAN based as its main basis of operation, however, relying on external servers via an internet connection to manually set recordings contradicts that feature in my opinion.

I would hope there will be at least one app that can be used with tablo without a WAN connection.

When a jet plane flying over tablo headquarters drops a 5 ton piece of blue ice and it strikes tablo headquarters and wipes out all it’s servers, I don’t want to wait for the cleanup to use my tablo.

There really should be at least one app, primarily the Roku or using a Web Browser via PC, that allows you to do all local stuff such as manually set recordings, view, multi delete, etc, without the ‘internet cord’. One person mentioned Web Browser is for ‘web’… but Routers have a ‘web interface’ that you type in via ip address to configure and doesn’t use internet access to make adjustments. Why can’t the Tablo?

Our iOS tablet app is native and also uses network discovery.

Can the iOS tablet app manually set recordings without the use of internet?

Yes.

With a year over year decline of 18% for sales of Apple tablets and a decline of 12% for Samsung tablets, I think I’ll leap into the trailing edge of technology just to manage my tablo.

How often are you really going to be without internet? This is not a huge deal.

I know ISP outages never occur. I have a LAN router behind my ISP WAN router. So how long will it take to obtain a replacement WAN router when it burns out? All my tablo traffic except for tablo management goes through the LAN. I live 3 miles from a bestbuy, 6 mile from a walmart, and 10 miles from a frys. I can replace my LAN router in 90 minutes.

Nuvyyo is a VC startup. What do you think would happen if the VC investors decide to sell to Tivo or channelmaster…

I didn’t know they were funded by VCs?

As well, my local cable company I use for my ISP(evil Rogers) has a retail store 5 minutes away where I can pick up a new modem if this one dies. That’s why you pay the modem rental fee to them, so it’s easily replaceable.

It’s really not a big deal ‘without internet’, but what if Tablo Servers were to shut down or perhaps the company were to sell out? Then what? I’d rather my device be 100% standalone without the reliance of servers. That’s what ‘cutting the cord’ is supposed to be about. I want to know I can use this device, make manual recordings, etc, even if Tablo were to sell out.

I agree with that scenario but I hope they don’t do that, I have more faith in them than that.

Just a heads-up… Yes, we are VC funded and the VC is happy.

Happy VC = happy CEO = no danger of us going anywhere anytime soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like