Tablo quad heat fix

Now we are getting somewhere, do you have any quads running? You mentioned Dual, so that should theoretically have a lower power draw, heat sink. Again, my position is that I think they have a design problem. Rather than embracing the user community, they are always saying everything’s fine. If it were fine, you and I would not have had the pleasure to meet. As I told them, just tell me what unit to buy that is the most reliable, and I will buy that one. The answer is always, they are all equally reliable. If I said that to a Mercedes dealer, I guarantee he’d direct me away from the c class.

I know it may not be your preferred solution and doesn’t address your root complaint, but if a USB drive will run cooler because it’s external to the Tablo unit itself, wouldn’t a fairly easy solution be to just use an external USB drive?

The first unit my wife and I ever bought was a OG 4-tuner for one of our children in August of 2014.

Besides upgrading to a larger disk it’s still running. It sits raised 2 inches off of a wooden shelf. It hasn’t melted. And it can also be used to warm up a cup of coffee.

And while the original OG units probably had Nuvyyo patented motherboards,etc., I would suspect companies now just get a pick list of generic ATSC motherboards,etc. offered by their Asian suppliers.

Companies can’t offer a lower cost product if they are spending money on R&D versus branding generic models.

This may be the cheapest way to test the theory.

You hit the bottom of the tablo, then the top of a Mac book? that’s been powered up comparable to the tablo? And they have similar drives…

That was the bottom of the MacBook, and I needed two hands to take the picture. The laser thermometer is set to hold the last read temperature for fifteen or so seconds. I lifted the MacBook, took the reading, then took the photo. You will see in the photo of the Tablo, my son is holding it up for me.

1 Like

The WEB is so full of them that they are hard to keep track of. What theory are we testing?

That the internal Hard Drive is overheating. @nilex suggested purchasing an external usb drive and giving that a try.

So the drive hasn’t failed or isn’t showing signs of failure due to overheating(whatever that is).

And if the unit is a generic tablo branded model engineered in China, could you re-engineer the model to fix the device where the result would not result in an increase in cost for those not having these concerns.

My Tablo Quad has only been running since Dec 20. How hot is it? Dun’no. My cat seems to thinks it’s a nice warm spot. I keep a cooling rack on top to keep the cat off. I don’t know how hot if feels because I don’t bother touching it. Maybe it is really really hot.

The drive, compatible drive - 2.5" SATA drive, that’s pretty much it. Found something affordable on ebay - WD Scorpio Blue 750GB Internal 5400RPM 2.5" - WD7500BPVT $25.
(Had a similar 320GB drive running 2yrs with a Dual Lite, and one still going) I still don’t know how hot it runs… it’s working so I’m not picking it up.

My cat has heated bed, so keeping her away isn’t depriving her of a warm nap.

So tablo’s may be hot… some users perceive their tablo’s are too hot because “there are complaints” about tablo’s being too hot - from several users with engineering degrees! Try as they might, tablo support just won’t listen, as they know there’s an issue, and how to remedy it.

Since Navy fighter jets have been spotting/tracking tic tac ufo’s off the coast of southern California since at least 2004, I’m more concerned that aliens are coming for an independence day barbecue.

And Will Smith doesn’t save the day. I guess I won’t have to worry about my disk overheating.

I can’t directly speak to the Tablo Quad heat issues, but I can speak about my own experiences…

I’ve had a Tablo 4-Tuner unit running flawlessly since Feb 2016.
Shortly after I got my Tablo running, I noticed that it, in my opinion, ran hot. After reading many entries in these forums, this seemed to be the norm.

Like other Tablo devices, this unit is passively convection cooled & has case vents on its sides. I’ve since stood my Tablo on its side to provide a better convection heat flow (now from bottom to top). Since the Tablo 4-Tuner uses an external hard drive, my drive has not been subjected to any excessive heat.

For what it’s worth, here’s a link to a blob article from 2014 where Tablo acknowledges that their devices do run hot… Tablo Quad runs HOT!

Edit: That is the wrong link. Here’s the correct link that I referred to:
How Warm Should My Tablo Be?

This is the only response I found from tablo support.

ENGINEERS: Turns out we don’t need a fan. Everything is well within spec even with an internal drive. We even put in a thermal sensor just in case someone covers their Tablo with a sweater so there’s no risk at all to the parts or the drive.

Not saying this will help or not. It’s obvious that the tuners generate a lot of the heat (why 2 tuner users don’t complain as much). But WiFi generates a ton of heat as well. I can’t say this for sure, but maybe if hard wired, it runs cooler (??).

All the components in these units have heat range specifications.

If these units exceeded that specification there would be any number of failures. And these failures would be covered by warranty. And since a company loses a ton of money on warrranty returns Nuvyyo would have gone out of business years ago.

Additionally, Maxlinear and Pixelworks wouldn’t do business with Nuvyyo since it would be trying to pass these failures back to the component supplier for refunds or credits.

#FakeNews there is no acknowledgment from tablo, just users previewing their tablo is too hot and Support asking them to be contacted.

EDIT:

Where they “acknowledge” it’s hot while promising it’s alright?

So even if Tablo feels warm to you, we promise it’s not a danger to you…or your furniture
In both the dual and quad tuner Tablo unites the internal temperature will range between 10 and 20 degrees C higher than the baseplate, but this is within the optimal operational range of all the electronic components and way below the maximum temperature for these components (110 Degrees C/230 degrees F).

That’s dated 2014, although they now edit articles with out notating, that’s the first generation tablo - current generations have internal drives… as the current scrutiny seems to focus.

I have 2 tablos with 2 usb pc fans on each. One under it blowing up and one on top also blowing up. They are in a room with no ac so it gets pretty hot in there. I find it keeps them very cool to the touch. I was concerned about heat when I bought them and those fans are working great. I highly recommend those fans.

You recommendation is extremely vague. No pic or link to “those fans” with USB from pc?

Perhaps you should read the post I was replying to.

I’d like to, but there’s no up arrow referencing any specific post… sorry about inconvenient inquiry.

Still, thanks for the recommendation.