Tablo for Plex - Now available in the Plex Channel Store

I’ve been using the table channel for a while now, I appreciate all the work that has gone into it.  

I had some problems in be beginning with the Channel not loading or loading intermittently after multiple attempts.  I discovered that it was failing to load after timing out while getting initial information from the tablo.  I solve this problem by increasing the timeout: Settings->Server->Channel->Show Advanced->Number of seconds to wait before a plugin times out.  Hope that helps others.

I think I am running into another timeout now but I’m not sure where it can be set.  The Channel loads, no problem there, but when I go to recent recordings it fails to load.  I believe the problem is that I have a LOT of recordings (a problem for another thread) and it take too long to pass the information back to plex.  I see from the logs that the response completes a few seconds after the timeout.   Can I increase this timeout?  Maybe the long term fix is to limit the number of recordings loaded at one time.  

And off I go to manually delete a bunch of episodes…

update: recent recordings loaded no problem after I deleted a few old episodes from my list or recordings.  I was just over the threshold as I thought.

@beachslam There is a limiter in it that should prevent it from taking too long but I may need to lower that number, ultimately it caches the recordings so that it only loads new ones each time you launch, So after launching it a few times it should load up everything and stay cached. the Recent Recordings section I hard coded to only show the latest 200 recordings but I may have to examine if that is working right. 

Hi, I am using the Plex Tablo channel on the PS3 and I am having the following issues:
- Fast forward only works at 1.5x, anything more does nothing and starts from scratch;
- Quality: The picture quality appears to be compressed further by Plex and I get pixelation / lower quality when something is moving on the screen. Bitrate displayed by the PS3 is low (something like 2 Mbps).

I have a Tablo 4 tuner connected to a Gigabit capable network and I am using an i7 920 PC as the plex server with 24 Gb of ram, ssd. Is there something I need to adjust in the settings to get better playback through Plex.

I use an AppleTV via Airplay (Tablo recording at 1080p setting) and I have great video quality and I would like to use the ps3 for other tvs in the house and as an alternate if not iPad / iPod is available.

Thank you.

@Davidvr, still have not heard back from you about the IP Address change. It does nothing in plex. Any work being done with that??

Howdy all,

Am I the only one finding the Tablo Plex channel no longer works on the Roku after the 2.1.18 update?  It was working fine the day before. 

***Update - After removing and reinstalling the Tablo channel it seems to be working fine.  Must have been me.

Tablo Plex Channel on my Fire TV’s used to work awesome… now I keep getting a “unable to resolve video for playback” error… does anyone have any idea if I’m doing something wrong?  Seems everything worked great up until a week or so ago.

@beachslam There is a limiter in it that should prevent it from taking too long but I may need to lower that number, ultimately it caches the recordings so that it only loads new ones each time you launch, So after launching it a few times it should load up everything and stay cached. the Recent Recordings section I hard coded to only show the latest 200 recordings but I may have to examine if that is working right. 

Yes, its only a problem when I’m out of town for a week or extended break from watching any shows.  I just got back from a trip and its happening again.  I know the work around until you have a chance to look at it - delete some old episodes. 

Thanks!

I recently started having issues with the Tablo Channel for Plex where it only allows access to recordings from maybe a week ago.  Everything after that comes up with the “M3U8: Crossdomain Access Prohibited” error message.  Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a fix for this?  Thanks for putting this Channel together, up until the last week, it has worked great!

Does not seem like much chatter is going on here, unfortunately for me I can not seem to get Plex to see my recordings. It works OK for live TV. I have also tried the 2.0 beta app with no luck, in fact it was hard to even get Live TV there. I seem to get an error. I know this isn’t your job but not getting this app working is sort of a deal breaker. If I am doing something wrong I would love to know. 

Based on very little programming knowledge though I think this is java parsing error

2015-02-15 22:03:46,992 (1f84) :  DEBUG (networking:172) - Requesting 'http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/71/meta.txt
2015-02-15 22:03:46,996 (1f84) :  ERROR (networking:223) - Error opening URL 'http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/71/meta.txt
2015-02-15 22:03:46,996 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: call to meta.txt failed. File not found
2015-02-15 22:03:46,996 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata - Parse Failed on jsonurl : TypeError("‘str’ object cannot be interpreted as an index",)
2015-02-15 22:03:47,009 (1f84) :  DEBUG (networking:167) - Fetching ‘http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/5436/meta.txt’ from the HTTP cache
2015-02-15 22:03:47,025 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata - Parse Failed on jsonurl : KeyError(‘jsonFromTribune’,)
2015-02-15 22:03:47,038 (1f84) :  DEBUG (networking:167) - Fetching ‘http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/5805/meta.txt’ from the HTTP cache
2015-02-15 22:03:47,065 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata - Parse Failed on jsonurl : KeyError(‘jsonFromTribune’,)
2015-02-15 22:03:47,076 (1f84) :  DEBUG (networking:167) - Fetching ‘http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/5848/meta.txt’ from the HTTP cache
2015-02-15 22:03:47,096 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata - Parse Failed on jsonurl : KeyError(‘jsonFromTribune’,)
2015-02-15 22:03:47,111 (1f84) :  DEBUG (networking:167) - Fetching ‘http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/25623/meta.txt’ from the HTTP cache
2015-02-15 22:03:47,131 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata - Parse Failed on jsonurl : KeyError(‘jsonFromTribune’,)
2015-02-15 22:03:47,144 (1f84) :  DEBUG (networking:167) - Fetching ‘http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/25625/meta.txt’ from the HTTP cache
2015-02-15 22:03:47,164 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata - Parse Failed on jsonurl : KeyError(‘jsonFromTribune’,)
2015-02-15 22:03:47,164 (1f84) :  INFO (logkit:16) - ***TabloTV: loaddata: 'Cleaning’

http://192.168.1.68:18080/pvr/71/meta.txt does not exists and throws a file not founf error, hence the str parsing error. I am not sure how to get rid of this link. It might be due to a show I deleted, I have no idea. 

Parse Failed on jsonurl : KeyError(‘jsonFromTribune’,)
This happens for shows I know exist and work through the android app. Deleting the recordings gets rid of their errors but that doesnt really help. They just arent there to parse any longer.

I saw another post with a similar error but I only have like 5 recordings.

Have not used the Plex/Tablo channel for many months. Now there is an issue with Tablo 2.2.2 rev, and thought I would try watching Tablo through Plex, but got an error message “No Tablos found.” So uninstalled the Tablo channel, but Plex reports there is no such thing as a Tablo channel. Perhaps I have just forgot how to get and install it. Would appreciate a hint of what to do.

BTW: during the 2.2.2 issue I am ripping Tablo recordings, then watching via Plex and they are perfect, but obviously not a solution for live TV.

Hello, maybe someone has had this issue to help me. I am having issues with Live TV on the Plex Channel. Recordings and everything else works fine.

My set up:
Plex Server update: Current
Tablo update: Current
Tablo Plex Channel .992

Tablo 4 tuner is located at my parents house who gets better reception than I do 2 miles away. They are setup with a DDNS and it is working correctly. Tablo shows remote connections are good. They are running a 50/50 Fios connection.

Plex Server is running at my house on a dedicated Core i7 Windows 7 system. 50/50 Fios connection. I use roku 3’s for everything at my house.

For some reason, I can watch recorded videos but not live TV. When I try to play Live TV I get the following error message: “Video Unavailable. Sorry, But we can’t play this video. The original video may no longer be available, or it may be in a format that isn’t supported.”

I also, see content and images of what is playing and programming scheduling. But I just cannot seem to watch LiveTV.

I did a reset of the channel, and restarted all devices. This also happens on the android app. I know it is more of a Plex issue but I know I can’t be the only one who ran into this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate and I really love tinkering with this stuff. :smile:

Thanks everyone!

I had a similar issue has you with Plex tablo channel, and after reinstalling windows on my PC and creating a new Plex server and reinstalling the tablo app in Plex, now I can only watch live TV, it won’t play or even find any of my recordings.

It would be awesome to see a new app for Plex but since the app hasn’t been worked on in long time and is not supported by the Tablo team, the chances of seeing that happening are pretty low.

Yeah same thing here. It is such a shame, It was working and I have no plans to invest in a ton of Rokus just to get this working. With the support I have received so far I think I will have to recommend against tablo and move on to something with a better support team. I am done fighting with this thing.

You can’t blame them for the Plex app not working properly though, it was not made by them nor has it ever been supported by them

1 Like

I know what you are saying but they position themselves to be the cheapest cord cutting solution and this doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult of a task for someone with programming experience. Getting this working seems like a no brainer…then you don’t have to tell your customer base to go buy something else to make it work.

My tablo is feeding my PLEX server daily using Tablo Ripper and MCEBuddy. It’s all automatic, so no effort other then moving placed TV shows into their folders on my PLEX server. This isn’t completely necessary either, but it has it’s advantages and takes almost no time. Also, using Comskip, which is like a plug-in included in MCEBuddy, all commercials are automatically removed in the same operation. Works very well and can be free, but to buy donator versions of MCEBuddy and Comskip is about $40 on time donation. Things work faster and with more features that really help with the donator versions.

-Rodger

1 Like

@iamxero I have been too busy with family and work to complete rewriting the plugin to use their new API. I had made a lot of progress on a version 2.0 but then they made a new and awesome api that required yet another rewrite. Then to top it off the HD I had connected to my Tablo died over the summer and we really didn’t watch any summer shows so I had less motivation to buy a new one. The good news is I may take some time to work on it and if anyone would like to help it is completely open source so anyone can update it, improve it, fork it etc.

David, I am sorry if it came across like I was calling you out on this. I know this is just a pet project and I never had the expectation for it to be treated like anything else. I was sort of hoping your version could prove to be a good POC for the Tablo devs and maybe we could see something first party with the support that comes along with it.

I really do appreciate you making this work and it did serve me well over the past year.

This channel is awesome.