Tablo Exporter - Export Tablo Recordings

The first ts version is working fine on my Windows 7 machine. I really do appreciate your efforts Jestep. Now just fine tuning MCEBuddy and working out my automated monitoring scenario for the least effort on my part. Getting excited to have another 3~4 TB of shows on my PLEX server!

-Rodger

1 Like

@Jestep So with the TS file, it’s just the one quality setting, correct? Too bad there isn’t a way to extract the raw video streams from the Tablo without a re-encode. :flushed:

1 Like

@jestep This is AWESOME… Thanks a million. Perhaps Tablo should consider hiring you? I have a question about the output quality settings, and was wondering if you can explain a little better about what the quality settings actually do. I record everything in the 720P mode on the Tablo, and I tried an export of a 1/2 hour show using the “best” setting (in MP4 Format) and it resulted in a 850GB file. What seems to be the most efficient recipe for quality/size?

I would stick with Standard as it is basically a copy from Tablo. I added those in because I was asked to, but no need for that size video :wink:

Yes basically and not really

Thanks- I should also correct that to say I meant MB not GB… LOL too much coffee this morning!

1 Like

There isn’t anyway to gain quality that isn’t there to start with. The best you can hope for is lossless ts merging without recompressing the ts segments. If I can recall correctly from my old Mpeg days gone by, FFmpeg does this with transport stream (ts) file using the same codec settings use on the original file. Now once you have the merged ts file, you can do all kinds of things in post (video editing), but really, unless you are really wanting to change the footage extensively, the time element in doing almost anything in post is too excessive – At least it is for me.

Oh cool. I was asking about the lossless aspect. I have exported 1 or 2 mp4 files on the (better) setting and it took forever but looked higher quality to me (not sure). I thought the TS was native but wasn’t sure if it had to be adjusted. The TS way exports very quickly and imports into handbrake or opens in quicktime. I’m for the highest quality to Quicktime so i edit commercials out and export to mp4. Thanks for the info.

Although I have owned MCEBuddy for over a year now, I really am just getting back to using it again. Had about a year of massive virus infestations on my home and my work systems (about 15 computers or so) I had to clean up and most my free time to play with computer/video gear went away real fast. But, all is well again with all holes plugged (fingers crossed) and I am back to wanting to get TV content (old and new stuff using Tablo) moved to my PLEX server. MCEBuddy if you are not aware was designed to augment Windows Media Center TV captures. I does almost everything needed in an automated way to captures, including commercial removal. It can also be used for Tablo captures in much the same way. With PLEX though, all I really need is batch mode commercial removal, which is what I am in the process of getting setup and configured properly, to minimise hands on editing. Networked programing can be selectively “tuned” for each series as required, so it is possible to actually setup comskip.ini files for each series and get nearly 100% successful batch mode commercial removal. It will take some time adjusting these ini files, but as I am just now looking into it, I’m not sure how much effort will be necessary. It’s interesting and at my age it will be more of a challenge, but it should help keep the gray matter in shape.

That sounds awesome! Removing commercials? That’s fantastic.

I am not a fan of Windows (viruses, drivers and relentless updating), but I always thought the Media Center was very cutting edge. I use the AppleTV for my videos after I make artwork and enter metadata. I am sure there will be a (mac based) solution when the AppleTV (SDK) is opened up and regular devs can develop apps. The Tablo can play a huge role in all that. If you post videos of your Media Center setup on youtube, I’ll def check them out. I see how the TS files are going to rock your world. @Jestep is a rockstar for implementing (and quickly) all these features we suggest.

This app is the best! @Jestep can I review it for my site? Also, I was able to pull off and add to plex the entire series of Threes Company, WKRP, and Seinfeld. Just need multiple delete and I good to go!

1 Like

Feel free :wink:

I love this app compared to everything else available, but it would be perfect if there was a checkbox for the option to add airtime and date to the file names when exporting. Many of the shows I record don’t have Episode or Season information and if I have multiples of them to export, every export overwrites the previous exported show with the same show/file name. So I have to export one episode at a time, rename it and then export the rest individually. Is there currently anyway around this that I’m missing?

I have two issues to report, not sure if others have encountered this or not.

1. I’ve tried the new quality setting but have noticed that while the Standard setting produces an mp4 file for a one hour recording in about 11 minutes the other settings take significantly longer, even the Low setting! CPU usage is also much higher. CPU at Standard setting averages around 15% but the other setting all use 100% CPU. I am currently exporting a 1 hour program that took 11 minutes to complete on Standard setting but it has now been running for 20 minutes on the Low setting and is only 36% done. I think Standard setting quality is fine but it seems weird that the Low setting takes so long.

2, Since my initial free subscription to the guide has expired I cannot export muttiple episodes of the same progam. The exported file name has no Season or episode info just the program Title so each new episode overwrites the previous one unless I manually rename them. The manual recording does not seem to pass Season and Episode data, they are both listed as N/A on the Tablo Export Queue screen. Air Date however is listed so would it be possible to substitute Air Date if there is no Season/Episode data?

Thanks for listening! This utility is a great add-on to the Tablo!

If the show has a title it is also used on the title. What type of show are you speaking of?

That is because the standard is basically a copy of the video with no major adjustments the othe quality settings are big adjustments. That is why I suggest using standard :wink:

@Jestep OK, Big Guy your review of your amazing app has been posted on my site! Have a gander everyone, and feel free to add a comment.

Tablo Community to the Rescue

1 Like

You used a very old image :stuck_out_tongue:
Try this one :wink:

Done! Updated Image!

1 Like

OK, I was just surprised that Low took longer than Standard but makes sense if it is doing more work to re-encode it.

As for my #2 problem, it sounds exactly the same as what mediadigs is experiencing. As an example I record the series called The Pinkertons. When I had a guide subscription Exporter would create a Folder and subfolder called The Pinkertons > Season 1 and create a file called “The Pinkertons - Episode 19 - Murder on the Western Express.mp4”.
Now that I am manually recording every new episode is created in the main The Pinkertons folder and is named “The Pinkertons.mp4”. So, if I have a bunch of episodes to export I can only do one, rename the file to something unique by adding the Air Date or episode number if I know it and then do the next etc.