Tablo Exporter - Export Tablo Recordings

Not currently, but I will add something in to include Best, Better, Least maybe? I could make it crf but I think it is best to just make is somewhat adjustable :wink:

Ok, no worries. I’d agree that a good/better/best type arrangement would be the most user-friendly. CRF numbers tend to create a lot of confusion. I would also agree that 23 would be the sweet spot for most users. It came out to about the same bitrate as the source file on the tablo. Perhaps that should be “default”? Maybe a low=26, default=23, high=20 would be a good balance? You could also add a “insane=17” option for those fringe-cases like myself that aren’t concerned with the resulting file-size.

Again…thanks for the work you’ve put into this. Great stuff.

I am all for the max possible because I am going to edit out the commercials and re-encode via quicktime or handbrake as well. I say make it best quality possible. If @TabloTV would ever add 5.1, we would really be rocking because of the export SW makes Tablo better than everything else out there.

I have actually been doing some testing and I realized I was actually using copy instead of crf. crf at 23 is a MUCH smaller file than copy. So changing to that will lower the file size for "Standard"so I am leaving that as the Standard quality. But for the higher quality I am using crf 20 Better and 17 for best. Problem is, using crf makes the export MUCH longer than I like, so that is why I am keeping the current process for Standard.

When I am done testing I will upload the latest

‘copy’ means the video is untouched and is not re-encoded?

Well, not really. It is encoded of course.

Can you give this one a try?

http://jettsoft.com/test/tabloexporter.zip

Let me know if this works. I also made a few cosmetic changes as well.

Jestep…I’m out on business the rest of this week, but I should get a chance to try it this weekend. Thanks!

Could we have options to name the file better on export?

You would need to be more specific :wink:

I guess just an option to be able to add to the season & episode into the file name

Are you talking about Plex file naming? Or something else? I used to have season and episode in the file name but opted for the dir structure instead

Yes exactly. I am using plex & I am have to rename the file every time. Not a huge deal but just thought it might be doable.

In some cases yes it is doable. However, I have found a ton of shows missing episode/season, which would cause issues. However, that is not to say that is not on the todo list :wink:

ok sounds good. thanks for all you do!

Getting ready for my 8+ hours flight and I though I give this a try to catchup on my shows. Tested exporting an one hour show which took my old laptop about 15 minutes to do the export which resulted in a 4GB+ mp4 file. I tested watching the show for about 5 minutes and everything looks good. Thanks a lot @Jestep Great job.

2 Likes

To the dev: thank you. About to go on vacation for a few weeks (no internet where I’m heading), and I’m able to bring my TV collection along with me. Best part is… I’m able to transfer all of these shows over my local network; I don’t even need to disconnect my Tablo’s hard drive (and therefore cancel any recordings in progress). Brilliant! Cheers!

3 Likes

@Trevor_Gingerich Hands down, this SW is one of the best things about Tablo compared to any other DVR on the market. I love it! Again, Thanks @Jestep!

1 Like

@Jestep Ah! I can seem to run the app in Ubuntu 14.04LTS. I have installed the latest Java, and FFMPEG and it doesn’t launch.

This is what I get when I run it in Terminal…

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: tabloexport/TabloExport : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)