Tablo crashes and reboots when recordings fail

As amazing and breakthrough as this sounds, and beneficial for private personal use… considering it uses a 3rd party to function - it actually looks more like a way for data collection into peoples private lives.

Giant corporations claim to provide a useful service, while collecting data on your daily routine in the privacy of your own house. Coupled with with other “smart” devices they’ll know when you’ll be home before you even leave.

Yes, I would be concerned about a space tracking system for in-home use. But it does have great potential for security. It would be great to sense someone walking around your property, even before a break-in happens. May offer a means of prevention. However, the business world is thirsty for this type of tecnology. They want to see how traffic moves in certain areas. Malls believe they can benefit greatly, and they are already doing so with similar technology. Before you walk in a mall, you register your phone with the mall. Then, as you go window shopping, right when you aproach a specific store, your phone gets a notice with offers and specials available at that store. This is already a reality, although not so widely known. Imagine living in a smart building that knows about what time you go to work. Senses your movement in the hallway, getting into the elevator, and when you reach the valet, your car is already waiting for you. Many possibilities.

Even Tablo could benefit from knowing the presence of viewers. If you had four family members, and Tablo knew which of them is interacting with the DVR, Tablo could present on top of rhe menu, the recordings that this user set in the system. In other words, a menu that molds itself to the user that has control of the DVR. Little Jimmy, who is 8 years old, could find his recordings on top, along with other programs proper for his age. If Jimmy goes to his room but John, his dad, now grabs the remote control, the menu changes again with John’s recordings and TV preferences on top. A DVR that recognizes you and saves you time with a personalized menu that understands your past interactions and needs.

This discussion seems to have drifted off the course of crashes and reboots. But, I’ll add this last bit which, was a new realization for me.
Recently a two hour recording from a strong station was crashed in the middle by a start up recording from a weaker channel. Apparently because of the rainy weather, the second recording crashed several times and then gave up. The original recording, which had no reception problems never recovered and the last hour was lost.
I don’t know the architecture of the software or hardware in this unit. But, it is difficult to imagine that this particular failure is a necessary consequence of the tuner chip set, possibly from an outside vendor. Isn’t there another processor specific to the Tablo that controls what these tuners are doing?

Yes, improving the signal helps but only until you get rain fade on the good channels. You are correct that if one channel fails and crashes the box, then all other recordings get interrupted as well. The mitigation of bad signal and proper notification happens only with live TV, while no other recordings takes place. However, the normal sequence of events fails to mitigate a bad signal, when a recording is taking place. Remember that the box is always recording, because live TV is also recorded for rewind. When a “stored” recording takes place, that’s when the box fails to mitigate the bad signal and crashes. That’s why I believe the problem is code related, and not hardware related.

I see this old subject has come back up and that some people are still defending the stupid rebooting concept. How about your PC reboots every time you make a typo :slight_smile:

Hopefully they fix this with a firmware update in the next year or so.

Flame away, pointless to argue that this concept of rebooting is somehow correct.

Mine does that.
I’ve come to just accept it.

There’s not really any defense. Response suggest the topic has been covered, responded to with as much as “they” are going to say. It’s nothing new – if there were more to be done, or was a major priority it, or as easy as “technical” people say it is, it’d be fixed.

But some users only get out of it what they want…

:question: understanding || correct
“rebooting concept” is this when one device doesn’t work, so I reboot several other devices on my network, until I get the results I want?

If your rebooting equipment on your network…buy new equipment. What I’m referring to s that the Tablo engineers somehow thought rebooting was a solution to some tuner issue they have. Either that or they have a watchdog that’s doing it…either way it needs to be fixed. . The only answer to any user having this issue is that it’s a known issue and file a ticket with support to bring their attention to the fact that it’s not an acceptable situation.

I have a Tablo 4-Tuner unit bought in 2015 and have experienced this problem first hand. My solution was to remove the weak signal stations from my channel lineup. I realize that this is not the solution for everyone.

My speculation is that this problem has something to do with hardware implementation and is beyond a firmware solution, else Tablo would have fixed it a long time ago.

My question is… If I purchase one of Tablo’s newest designs, does this problem still exist?

1 Like

If the problem has lasted for a long time, and the problem has not been fixed, it would take a great deal of good faith in a company to say that, but for this reason alone, it must be hardware related. I believe we live in times where we must be very careful about things that are not under our full control. I’m not going to mention manufacturer names, but my daughter tells me that her phones starts to get really sluggish, when a new version of her phone comes out to the market. Also, this may also be happening with IoT manufacturers. I have a camera, that is a replacement of the front door light. If gets power from the door light socket, has a light bulb, and a camera in the same unit. The unit is controlled by the cloud from a phone app. I can send a signal from my phone to the cloud to turn the light on, and I get an indication on my phone that the light bulb should be on. There is no status light on the unit itself telling me that it received a cloud signal to turn the light on. Guess what, exactly after a year after I bought it, and for absolutely no idea that I can understand, the light bulb stopped working, but everything else works. It even tells me on the phone that the bulb should be on, but it isn’t. I’ve even checked it with a volt meter. The problem seems to be on their main board. How do I know that a trick is being done, to make me order a new unit? There comes a time in which manufacturers drop support for legacy systems. But I really believe many manufacturers are going way beyond that, in an environment where they control everything.

You’ll find throughout this forum, if you have an issue with your tablo - reboot your router, reboot your tablo, reboot your streaming device. Not a concept but a methodology.

What once was a “windows thing” now has almost become an industry standard trouble-shooting methodology. Not that we like it, not finding the real problem - just making it go away for a while.

There’s similarities to your advice to uninstalling and reinstalling something. Basically, just start over… I don’t know what’s wrong, but it works now. Reboot = start over… it works now.

One is a concept, the other is an acceptable fix? :laughing:

We also live in the time of wide cloud computing. Some of these cloud services can be very complex. The drawback is that these clouds represent new points of failure. Believe me, the stories I have heard at the enterprise level, of all the finger-pointing that goes on, between the users of the cloud and the cloud itself, are endless. There is no better business than one where the customer does not have full transparency of the background operations. Ask Tesla, I believe they can tell you a lot about that.

1 Like

I don’t think weak signal is the only cause for the tablo to reboot. Yesterday I had the cup race set to record. We started watching with almost two hours recorded. At the rain delay I skipped to live. Because tablo has a small delay between recording and display, I switched to antenna live. We left the tv on an when it was announced the race was canceled until today, I went to delete the recording. Apparently a reboot happened because a second recording was made. Checking the end of the first recording against the beginning of the second only a couple laps of the 2019 race was skipped. Of the other three people and myself, we are sure that happened 15 - 20 minutes after we started watching directly from the antenna. I’m pretty sure that one of us would have noticed a signal drop. I’ve suspected that on several occasions especially with long episodes being recorded. Live events that have extended time almost always reboots. I believe it happens most of the time at the start of extended time. Of course I have no proof for this. Just my two cents worth!

Good observation.
Let’s check some important details, though.

Is the antenna cable split between the Tablo, and TV?
If split, are the same cable type, and length used after the split?
The signal will degrade if the antenna cable connected to the Tablo is longer, or lower quality than the one going to the TV.
Optimally, you want to have the same quality, and length antenna cables coming out after the split.

Thank you for the questions. Here is how I have everything connected. My router, Roku, and tablo are located within a couple feet of each other. The antenna cable is connected to a power booster with a in and out. At the out a splitter is connected with a cable about a foot long. Out of that splitter the tablo is connected with a cable about three feet long and the tv with one approximately six feet.
The tablo and Roku are both connected with a Ethernet cable, and controlled with a harmony remote.
All my cables are rg6 made for me by the local cable provider.
My Fox channel is transmitted LOS with no trees or buildings and about six miles from me. With binoculars I could see the tower.

On a two tuner Tablo, I’ve noted before that, when the TV is live, it is basically recording the live event, so that the user can rewind and pause the live event. No problems there, even if the signal fails. But if there is a programmed recording also happening and it fails, then Tablo will reboot. Also if two prgrammed recordings are taking place, it seems to reboot as well.

My experience was different, as it would crash, and reboot due to the broadcast signal, even during Live TV with no active recordings.
I say was, cuz my Tablo doesn’t crash anymore.
Mounting an ANTOP 400-BV antenna on the roof mitigated that issue.

1 Like

Glad to hear that works for you. Ordered one from amazon and could only get 12 of 29 I get with my two antenna setup.
I don’t have weak signal, but tropospheric ducting with some heatwave quick temperature changes. Sometimes a station has technical issues.