Tablo Connect on 3G

Does anyone else use Tablo Connect on a 3G network?  Does this work for you?  My wife has an iPhone 4 (3G), and cannot watch recorded shows on her phone.  It is not an issue of the 3G signal - we live in a major city and the network is great.  I’ve lowered the Tablo Connect settings to 500 kbps.  Still gives her issues.  It takes a long while for the recording to even load, then plays for 10 seconds, then pauses again.  Takes about 30 minutes to get through 3 minutes of the show.  Should it be this bad on 3G?

It is not an issue with my router or Tablo - I have an LTE phone, and can watch recordings perfectly.  And my internet speed is 60 down/12 up.  It is just her phone.  I’m not sure if it is just the way 3G is, or if her phone isn’t working right.

Anyone else have similar issues with 3G?  Or are there any ideas to get her phone working well with Tablo Connect?

I have the Moto G (2nd generation), and it only has 3G (on AT&T).  I use the Tablo Android Web App on it, and it works well most of the time (I have it set to 1 Mbps).  

Have you tried playback when connected on the local WiFi network? Does that work at least?

Have you tried playback when connected on the local WiFi network? Does that work at least?

Yep, just tested that, and worked flawlessly.  Everything is working perfectly with my Tablo except Tablo Connect on my wife’s phone.

I have the Moto G (2nd generation), and it only has 3G (on AT&T).  I use the Tablo Android Web App on it, and it works well most of the time (I have it set to 1 Mbps).  

Maybe it is an iPhone issue then?

It is an iPhone 4, what OS version is it running?

Next test is to try Tablo Connect on foreign WiFi.

iOS 7.1.2

Will have her try it on foreign WiFi soon.  What would it mean if it did/didn’t work well on the foreign WiFi?

If Tablo Connect works on foreign WiFi then you know Tablo Connect works on your iPhone 4. Then it is likely just slow 3G speeds as the remote connection works over WiFi - make sense?

You can be connected at “3g” but still not get great throughput. And “bars” are meaningless. I have to argue with folks at work all the time “can’t get VPN connection to work and yet I have a good 3g connection” or “voice works great, why won’t VPN work, your VPN gateway has a problem”. No, the VPN gateway does not have a problem, it’s the connection “out in the field”. 3g is simply the technology used, it’s not a guarantee of fast reliable packet exchange. If there are dropped packets and resends, well, you have bad video and slow network. I don’t know if any Apple devices like iPad can ping or not, but do ping tests if they can and see what sort of speeds you get with pings. And if possible change the ping packet SIZE. Routers can cause some packet sizes to make it and others get lost. You could have a great ping time on 3g in one location and horrible ping times in another location. 3g again is just the technology used at the “cellular” end, you still must traverse the routers and switches and other equipment on the web and it’s indeed a spider’s web. 

I work at our main office in Des Moines. We have 30+ offices throughout the state all connected back to DSM using LAN-to-LAN VPN over Internet. Most offices do almost a “home run” from there to here, maybe the line isn’t perfectly straight all the time, depending on how busy certain routers on the web are, but one office that just baffled me for a long time always had slower speeds than all the rest and yet it was not the furthest away from here. I did a traceroute and found out that the traffic from that office was leaving this state and going over and through Chicago and THEN back to Des Moines! It’s how that cable company has traffic routed and how the Internet backbone in that area is laid out. Might have something to do with AT&T, too, since they own a lot of the infrastructure around here. 
Again, 3g is the cell data technology, once it drops off of Verizon or whoever it is onto other parts of the Internet, a lot can depend on what’s between that iPad and your home! Don’t necessarily blame 3g or your cell carrier. We all have to connect to backbones owned by others. Your cell provider does not own the whole path from there to here and so on. They are a tiny segment in a very large complex highway.
Pings and tracert tests will tell you a LOT.
If Tablo Connect works on foreign WiFi then you know Tablo Connect works on your iPhone 4. Then it is likely just slow 3G speeds as the remote connection works over WiFi - make sense?

Thank you, does make sense.

@ShadowsPapa - thanks for the great info.  Some new learnings in there for me :slight_smile:  I may try some ping tests later.