Tablo Connect not working from IT Controlled PC

Sorry, I’m laughing. So, I hack “your PC” and you get fired… does that make things clearer?

I know you are amused – and I kind of get your point – but the policy isn’t that uncommon in larger organizations. The company PC is not the employee’s PC - and rules are in place to remind them that this isn’t for their personal use. A company I worked for last year dealt with legal technology cases. Employees were given laptops that could be taken home - but it was expected that they would use them only for work. Anybody wanting to stream television, for example, would be expected to use their own machine for that purpose. The company’s policy was also very clear and not unlike others – if it was determined that the machine had been modified to circumvent the company protections put in place, the owner of that machine would have their employment terminated. The whole argument of ‘somebody else must have done it’ isn’t taken seriously. In some instances, employees were able to petition the security director that something not on the machine was needed. But employees (including myself) took great care of the machine when taking it outside of work knowing what the repercussions were.

And realistically - the whole ‘somebody else hacked my machine’ doesn’t happen with enough frequency to merit much serious consideration. I know of only one instance at the company where somebody was fired — and that was because they used the work machine to access a Russian site to download mp3’s. They thought they were being clever – but since there were people whose only job at the company was to watch for stuff like this - the people they hired to monitor the computer and the network were a bit more clever. :slight_smile:

Yes, but in my defense- the context of the conversation implied self- hacking…

And per eherberg’s novelette, it is pretty unlikely that an external hacker is going to work to get Tablo working on some random stranger’s work PC…

The OP (?) said they allow them to use them for personal use. That’s going to pretty much nuke just about any control they thought they had and pretty much eliminate any kind of security or protection… just saying.

I work in IT, I manage IT, I understand security and integrity, I’m just saying the company IT behind this laptop doesn’t appear to understand any of that. In other words, they wouldn’t know up from down.