Tablo Connect constantly "disables" itself; need to uncheck & re-check the box

Smart man. or woman.

@tablosupport @tablotv what about the recent update made the Tablo so unstable when using Tablo Connect?

The 2.1.30 update did not break the Tablo Connect feature nor make it unstable. It has worked the same since the beginning. And yes, some have had issues with UPnP due to their router not the Tablo.

@mullermj No recent updates have changed the way Tablo Connect works. We do have an improvement on Tablo Connect in our next firmware version, which enables it to ‘re-try’ several times in the event that the rules break on the network.

Justed wanted to chime in as well that the same issue described by others with UPnP resetting itself on Tablo and that toggling the remote connection opting brings it back. It does seem related to the router restarting and Tablo doesn’t try to re-register.

Unfortunately I use UPnP for other services so its not trivial for me to switch over to manual routing. Since if UPnP is on Tablo tries to use it even if I’ve manually configured a routing table for it - it just uses different ports. Disabling UPnP at my router works with Tablo, but then my other services (which work reliably with UPnP btw) need manual config too…

Interesting - so even if the correct ports are properly manually configured, the Tablo still tries to do its own thing if UPnP is enabled on the router?

That is correct. Before I assigned an IP address to my Tablo in my router, I would get a bunch of different UPnP entries for the Tablo. There was one set of four rules for every IP address it was assigned. So I am almost 100% positive that the Tablo will use UPnP, even if a set of rules already exist manually.

Thanks! Now that is dumb. The Tablo should check first before attempting to utilize UPnP. Guess the only solution is to either:

1. Set up a DHCP Reservation for the Tablo on your router and do not manually forward the ports. This allows UPnP to setup the ports to the IP address that will never change.
  2. Disable UPnP all together, and do it all manually.

@Benjamin_Poiesz

Basically, if you want to forward the ports manually and leave UPnP enabled, the Tablo must receive the same ‘static’ IP from the router using DHCP Reservation.

I managed to trick it this morning by turning off upnp, having the tablo say it needs manual config, set it up, then after done I turned upnp back on.

I’ll see how long that strategy lasts otherwise I a bunch of static routing rules to set up :-p

I haven’t read the random or constant router restart scenarios you refer to being involved with this Tablo Connect issue. Or are you having to restart your router manually for some reason and that’s causing your Tablo Connect to stop working?

In my scenario Tablo Connect would disconnect for no apparent reason beginning with the most recent update or the one prior to that. There was a suggestion made to reserve its IP address which I did and so far Tablo Connect has stayed connected. Too coincidental with the updates for me but who are we?

Seems the use of Tablo is not as universal or plug and play capable as say a TiVo. Tons of technical knowledge, problem researching, and solution testing is required of the user and there are still viewing limitations. It’s working “ok” now but I do miss the days of just turning on the TV and watching or using the DVR or not hearing the family yell “this thing is not working!”. There a those who suggest “go back to TiVo/cable then” but that’s the last thing young Tablo needs. I’m surprised they let their experts say that on here.

It will be great to see Tablo achieve that universal wired/wireless, any platform, hard drive or router combination status. Not even sure that’s possible or part of their road map though and that’s the main reason I’m not shelling out for a lifetime guide subscription at this point. I’m thankful I only had to put out $257 total for a 4-tuner and a 2TB drive making it sting a little less when a problem crops up.

@Tablosupport & @TabloTV customer service has been really good although it seems they are relying more and more on other users to answer questions. Until they reach that universal status and as this is a community board it might be a good idea for them to create one that will allow direct communication and then create an effective search option to locate answers such as the ability to sort and filter. Just a thought.

@tablosupport Well the good run ended. I was out of town this past week and lost remote connectivity. Just kept looping the connecting countdown. Got home and in settings saw that it had reverted to the “Your Tablo needs to be configured” mode. Frustrating and very disappointing. All I did was uncheck and recheck the box and now it’s configured. Your users really need for your developers to get a handle on that. One would think that since you yourselves can remotely connect you would set up a request page for us to let you know we need your support to uncheck and recheck the box for us. Can we do that via email maybe?

I understand your frustration but UPnP does not work well for everyone.

How about you disable UPnP and set up the port forwarding manually? I have never had any issues with Tablo Connect not working in over 12 months now.

@tablosupport @tablotv It happened again a few nights ago but I was at home and just happened to check so that fix was quick although still frustrating and then today, while I was out of town of course, the Tablo Connect was disconnected again would not reconnect itself. I’m thrilled for the tech folks here who are comfortable changing settings in a router and possibly everything else that change affects but it’s a stretch for Tablo to EXPECT this from their consumers. If all I’m doing is unchecking and rechecking a box, why in the world can’t Tablo do this itself? I mean it resets the startup section by itself so it’s not incapable of doing things on its own. Just make it do THAT on its own. PLEASE.

Firmware 2.2.2 does that. Wait for it.

1 Like

If I could click the like button multiple times I would…CANNOT. WAIT!

I’m not promising a fix. We’ll have to wait and see.

Dude.

From release notes:
“Improved Tablo Connect auto reprogramming after power outage events.”

1 Like

Hopefully, it will correct for random drops too as ours have not been power outage related.