Tablo cannot be found occasionally - misses recordings - needs reboot

I thought refurbs could only be sold directly by Tablo?

You sure you didn’t buy an open box from Amazon?

We also sell refurbs via Amazon.com now.

It was sold and shipped by Tablo, on Amazon, listed as a refurbished unit. Looking again, I don’t see any there right now. In fact, it looks like Tablo isn’t selling anything directly on Amazon at the moment. http://amzn.to/2lVrQh1

I have been experiencing exactly the same problem with my 4-tuner model for about a year now. My mother lives in our in-law suite, and she uses the Tablo to watch live TV - which she tends to do in the evening, watching the news, etc. If she is watching live TV, and our scheduled shows start recording we often have three tuners running - and this is a guaranteed recipe for failure. I’m going to guess that there is some issue when running more than two tuners at a time. It is winter here, and the cabinet in which the Tablo resides is in an electrical room that remains very cool. If it is overheating, then I don’t look forward to summer temperatures!

My fix has been to put in a controlled outlet on my home automation system and power down/up the Tablo once a day. This seems ridiculous.

Are you using the highest recording quality? That is 1080p 10 Mbps / 720p 60 fps.

I own and use two Tablos, both a 4 tuner and 2 tuner model, with identical disk drives, antennas, and very similar ambient confitions.

The 4 tuner Tablo is definitely more flakey. I have missing recordings, partial recordings, fragmented recordings (an episode shows up as 2 separate pieces) whereas the 2 tuner unit very rarely misbehaves. If I REALLY want to ensure a recording of a special show I have learned to record it on BOTH Tablos.

For those with light recording schedules, I would suggest that the 2 tuner model is a safer choice.

Larry

I’m anxious to see if temperature is the factor. So far, I haven’t had a lockup in the week or so since I added a laptop cooling stand under the Tablo.

I’m still happy with my 4-tuner purchase. At least here at the beginning, I have it set to record just about everything we (including the kids) might be interested in watching (including all back episodes). For some TV Shows, that’s 100+ episodes. I’ve already burned through 600+ GB in a month. It’s frequently recording two programs, and I even saw one conflict (so fully utilizing all 4 at least once). If I only had 2 tuners, I’m sure I would have tons of conflicts.

1 Like

Same here . 2 tuners is not enough for my family. I’ve even run into some conflictcts with the 4 tuner. Turning it on the side seems ok, we have left it running this morning, I want to see how it performs today on its side…

1 Like

If you suspect overheating to be a problem, I highly recommend a laptop cooling pad like this one: http://amzn.to/2liSBMJ

I use something similar that I’ve had sitting around for years, and it cools it so effectively that I can barely tell the difference between the temperature of the Tablo and an old router that isn’t even plugged in.

Are you powering this off the Tablo or something else?

Can you put up a photo with the Tablo on this and explain how you power the fan?

I can’t remember if I powered it from a USB power block or if I plugged it into the Tablo, but I think I just plugged it into the Tablo.

I’m out of town on a trip, but I’ll post a picture when I get home.

The Tablo just sits on top, between the two fans. The fans and the metal plate pull the heat away very effectively.

I had originally bought it for a laptop that kept overheating.

After more than a month without a lockup (sitting on the laptop cooling pad), I finally had another lockup a couple days ago. Light was solid Blue. Didn’t respond to anything, including pressing the reset button. Powering it down and back up was the only thing that worked. Nothing recorded while it was locked up.

Fortunately, I was home this time, so I was able to reboot it and had less than 12 hours of downtime (it took a while to notice it).

I’m going to look into hardware to be able to reboot it remotely, in case it happens when I’m out of town again. Might even look into some sort of automated solution (like an IFTTT recipe) to detect if it locks up, reboot it, and send me a text.

I’m npt sure if the Tablo supports Ping. If it does, the 3GStore 2 outlet IP switch can be programmed to ping the Tablo, and, failing “n” succesive attempts, recycle the AC power. It will also recycle based on user specified Web sites, whose disappearance for “n” retries, will cause a power recycling.

Larry

1 Like

My Tablo has been up for over a year (because we moved). But it is the 2 tuner version. No cooling pad, no turning on side, etc. 1TB disk always full, new content almost everyday, hard drive velco’d to the top of it. I record at the recommended 720p setting. We record a mixture of HD and SD programs.

I’m just wondering if there might be something more wrong with your unit (?).

Just saying I’d be shocked to find my unit “locked up”. Has Nuvyyo logged into your device to see if there’s anything they can find?

It’s probably the 720p setting that’s keeping your Tablo stable.
Both my Dual and Quad Tablos froze, or crashed and rebooted from time to time.
I had both set to maximum recording quality 10Mbps.

When I upgraded to the Tablo Quad, I gave my Dual to my mom.
Had to set her Tablo down to 720p, cuz it’s wirelessly connected, and couldn’t handle anything higher.
Her Tablo has frozen, requiring a power cycle twice in the past year.

My Quad requires a power cycle an average of once per month.
Use to be more often, but I downgraded the recording quality to 8Mbps.
My Quad is hardwired.