Tablo cannot be found occasionally - misses recordings - needs reboot

Two experiments you could try:

Use Tablo Ripper to pull some files from your Tablo and play them in your laptop with VLC. See if they are dropping frames, or if they are good recordings only corrupted in subsequent playback on your Roku.

Also, drop your recording bit rate down in Tablo Settings. Your current 14 Mbps traffic sounds like you are currently at the high end; try the lower rates. See if the low bit rate recordings play properly via VLC.

Also, both my Tablos get their Ac power via IP-controlled power outlets so I can recycle them remotely. I was in San Francisco a couple weeks ago and toggled power from my hotel room using my iPhone at my Tablos near Buffalo NY…

I used to use 3GStore 1-outlet IP switches but now have WeMo Belkin outlets (@$25/apiece)

I do.
My Tablo tuners get stuck on weak signal stations, and eventually cause a reboot, or freeze.

Symptoms were…

1. Live TV repeats the last few seconds of the broadcast.
    A tuner is stuck when this happens, and won’t be released until the Tablo is rebooted.
  2. Pixelation during Live TV, and recordings.
    While this could be caused by hard drive issues, or the Tablo overheating, it’s usually a weak broadcast signal.

Removing the weak signal stations dramatically decreased these issues.

And it happenned again. I went on vacation and Tablo hung after ~5 days. Third strike. I really want to like this product, but a DVR that doesn’t record shows blows. Support’s response that this is a known firmware issue is appreciated but, ultimately, flawed. I work in support and this is what we call a Sev 1 issue. A problem like this deserves its own patch ASAP, not make customers wait for the next generally available update. I’m returning mine to Amazon. Not sure what I’ll do now since the Tivo solution is not as good, or as affordable. Thanks.

For the second time this week my tablo has come up as not being found. Wife was watching tv and she got the message the tablo could not be found.

I am not home yet, so I can’t reboot it.

I als cannot connect via the app on my iPhone. It gets to the guide but won’t connect.

I am also going to place it in the side tonight and see if that makes a difference. If anyone wants to remote in, let me know and I’ll put the device in remote access mode.

Given this particular problem, I wound up putting IP-switched outlets on the AC power adapters for both of my Tablos, allowing me to recycle power/reboot from my iPhone when I am either home or away.

I originally used relatively expensive switches sold by 3GStore.com @ $79 apiece, but I’ve had equal success with a much less expensive switch is made by Belkin, called “WeMo” for $29 apiece.

Note that remote access, once it has failed, cannot be established remotely, since the iPhone and Tablo need to be connected locally via Wi-Fi/LAN in order to reconnect.

However, Tablos which cannot be found on the network can be rebooted and re–paired locally, restoring proper recording and playback. From remote locations via the WAN, rebooting will restore recording functions but no remote playback.

It sure would be nice to have a login account method of access / re-pairing like Nest, Belkin, Logitech, and most other WAN remote devices.

Larry

I stopped at home and rebooted the device. I was able to access the tablo on the iPhone on my home network. I did notice the audio was off like a Chinese karate movie watching through the app though. I hope that does not happen with regular tv later on when I check.

Will try tv when I got home later. I hear you on the remote rebooting. I am just thinking and hoping this is not a larger problem.

I’ve turned the device on its side as well.

Also, when I got home, the device had no blinking blue light or anything. Like it had died during the day. Once I plugged it back in, it came back normal from what I can see.

More to come…

Well regular tv is performing well. Sync issue is not happening.

Will keep an eye on he losing connection cannot be found issue now that I’ve turned it on it’s side.

Turn loose of $10 and get a fan:

I ordered the DEEPCOOL WIND PAL MINI Laptop Cooling Pad 15.6" Slim Design 140mm Silent Fan Blue LED from Newegg US for 9.99 with free shipping. I set my Tablo quad and 2TB Seagate usb portable drive on top of it and plugged it in. It makes NO noise and very little breeze …but my Table is now just barely warm to the touch and before it was HOT - 90++. And my HD seems to be just fine up there…so far. I have portable drive so the usb is drawing some power = more heat. My setup has been running for over 2yrs with almost no problems. (and I DO believe some problems described in this form are due to overheating)

Now I know that they say that 90+ is normal for the unit, but I have always found that cooler electronics seem to last longer. Cheers, :smiley:

[quote=“RetiredEngineer, post:46, topic:1375”]
Note that remote access, once it has failed, cannot be established remotely, since the iPhone and Tablo need to be connected locally via Wi-Fi/LAN in order to reconnect.
[/quote]Not true for me. I too installed remote A/C switches and unfortunately have had to use them two or three times due to a locked Tablo. Each time I was still able to connect remotely on an IPhone, Android Tablet and Windows 7 PC without having to re-pair locally.

1 Like

Yes I have also rebooted my router, and my Tablo many a time, and the remote pairing has survived this on iPhone, iPad, computer and Fire TV.

Thanks to all for correcting my misconception on this remote rebooting behavior. When I am away from home and the Tablos do not show up, I usually remotely reboot my Tablos (using Belkin WeMo outlet switches and iOS app on iPhone), remotely reboot my router, and reboot my iPhone, most often leaving me without remote access but improving the odds that subsequent recordings will again begin recording. Perhaps the router reboot or iPhone reboot is what is preventing the remote access rather than Tablo reboots?
My Nests, WeMos, Logitech / Squeezebox radios and iPenq servers all reconnect, but the Tablos do not.

Is it possible to travel with some set-top box like the FireTV and do remote Tablo access? Can a Roku or Nexus player do this?

Yes, you can travel with the Fire TV box or Fire TV Stick and view your Tablo recordings remotely. Any Android TV box such as the Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield, etc. can also do this.

The Roku however cannot.

I have a Fire TV box which I have not re-paired to my Tablo in over 6 months and it still works. Tablo introduced a firmware update a while ago that improved the Tablo Connect feature where it would survive IP changes. I have updated the firmware on my Tablo, rebooted it, rebooted my modem and router - the Fire TV is still paired.

Excellent !!!

This is a great solution I was unaware of. And I have 2 spare Nexus players sitting here from the era when Rokus used to misbehave, and will stick one with an HDMI cable in my travel bag.

Thanks again @theuser86 ! As always, despite my not entirely gentle chiding, you are a truly outstanding, knowledgable and very much appreciated resource!!

Larry

1 Like

I have had mine about a week and it has already locked up twice. I have a support case open but have yet to hear back. I have already tipped it on it’s side to see if that makes any difference in heat dissipation. My wife will absolutely not put up with a “mostly working” device. As she says “IT’S 2017, AND THIS STUFF SHOULD JUST WORK!”. I have to say, I mostly agree with that. Tablo support has about 7 days to figure this out, or it’s going back to Amazon with an appropriate review. Symptoms are not being able to connect from FireTV Tablo app when everything else is working over gigabit ethernet, and no LED visible on the Tablo. Power cycling fixes it.

This has been happening to my Tablo and right now after a factory restore has rendered my Tablo unresponsive. I’ve been following all instructions from Support related to my issue.

So I decided to try a different approach. I think the issue is heat-related to the 4-tuner Tablo. I returned the 4-tuner unit and bought a 2-tuner unit. It’s been two weeks without a single problem. Not to mention that the unit runs much much cooler.

No problem - just to be sure it works well though I would pair the Nexus Player with your Tablo the day before you leave for your next trip.

Thank you !! Will do !

I’ve had similar lockup problems with my refurbished Tablo 4 tuner that I bought from Tablo on Amazon. They’re trying to tell me it’s because of networking issues, but I still suspect heat problems.

I put my Tablo on a laptop cooling stand about a week ago, and it made a huge difference in the temperature of the unit. Knock on wood, but I haven’t had a problem since then.