Tablo Automatic Commercial Skip Feature Coming to Mobile & Web, Exiting Beta Via New Tablo Premium Service

The ability to add Premium Service to your Tablo within the account portal is available now! But it’s worth noting that your subscription will begin immediately and the feature is still free until early February so there’s no rush for those who are planning to jump on board.

And yet it runs the same current version firmware and the newest models and runs on the same “modern” devices. Other than appearance, what’s actually dated?

What’s this “membership” people have joined? Do you have a membership card? or secret handshake? or do you believe a lifetime subscription is a members organization?

1 Like

It is possible for ATSC 3 and 1 to co-exsist

I think I spoke too soon. As soon as I made that comment I went to watch a recording and they were all gone and I can’t record anything without them failing ‘cloud storage is full’. Full of what? Because there’s nothing there.

I agree that the existing skip feature isn’t ready for prime time, especially at additional cost. It either fails to work at all or misses some commercial breaks entirely about half the time. Even when it works it shows the first fraction of a second of the commercial which is distracting.

So if you want to charge us for it, get it to work reliably first.

1 Like

Last night, my Tablo simply stopped working. Nothing solved it less than a full power off reboot today. I would not play live TV nor recordings. Two days ago after the notification on commercial skipping coming out of beta, there was no change to my subscription and commercial skipping was available and worked. Today, the commercial skip is greyed out and not available. I re-read the blog post and it is not quite the 6th of Feb yet, do I need to pay to get it back?

Also, I know that the change has to go out some time, but it kind of destroyed 3 recordings last night and the wife wasn’t happy about it (which I heard this morning).

Lifetime guide description and a legacy 4 tuner Tablo too.

Just found, read and performed the steps here RESOLVED: Subscription Issue Affecting Subset of Tablo DVRs and it’s solved. Please disregard this post.

Mine seems to be working fine but I just watch recordings. I also do not have commercial skip now and have the legacy 4 tuner Tablo with lifetime subscription. I also the last 2 weeks or have had more failing due to poor reception but when I watch is clear and the shows before and after have the skip. Dont know if this has anything to do with them going out of beta.

So I have two 2 tuner models for the his and hers setup under the legacy single lifetime membership, is there any chance I could get them both setup as 1 premium subscription the same way a single 4 tuner would work? Perhaps this should be true for all 2 tuners, it’s the same cost but a 2nd 2 tuner can be included in the same account for free?

1 Like

I am disappointed that Tablo has gone the way of charging for the commercial skip feature. I do use the commercial skip feature, so much so that I must have skipped to February 6. (According to the press release it was supposed to be free until February 6.) I will not be subscribing to commercial skip feature. The other reason I will not subscribe is within 5 years the tuner in the Tablo devices will be obsolete. (TV ATSC 3.0) The Tablo will make a nice door stop though.

That’s really not true, and it shouldn’t have any effect on whether you subscribe, since the subscription in yearly. You can cancel before it “becomes a doorstop”.

It’s going to take quite a while to completely get rid of ATSC 1.0. I imagine it will be like the early days of HD, where both ATSC and NTSC signals were being broadcast for a while. Now you would need a ATSC 3.0 Tablo to pick up the 3.0 stations, so you might get an extra Tablo just for that and keep the existing one for 1.0 signals.

2 Likes

Based on what? A voluntary change over? Or not being able to cancel a subscription in 5yrs?

Don’t think of it that way. It’s more like saying, “I’m sticking with my 2G dumb phone.” In 5 years, ATSC 1.0 could be just like that. But, we’ll see.

5 years is typical for forced deprecation for most “tech things” (be that your phone, your Roku, your TV, etc.) To be honest, most people won’t give anything said today any thought as to “right” or “wrong” in 5 years. Just saying.

1 Like

As a legacy lifetime guide subscriber, this ACS pricing structure flat out stinks.

Worst of all, your use of subscribers to server as Guinea Pigs to evaluate features that you now want to charge for is shameless.

I’ve been a beta tester for many products. Never have I participated in a beta process only to have the feature I’ve been evaluating removed and then offered at additional cost.

You need to reverse course on ACS fees for lifetime guide subscribers as you did with you per-device guide subscription plan.

You want loyalty from your customers. We want loyalty from Tablo!

At a minimum, do the right thing and allow a single ACS annual fee for grandfathered lifetime subscribers to cover all devices on their account (I have 3).

I’ve been promoting Tablo for years. Right now, I can’t see doing that anymore. A per device pricing structure will swing my position from actively promoting Tablo to recommending to all that they should avoid Tablo products like the plague.

2 Likes

They never said it wasn’t going to be paid when it went out of beta, they said they were going to determine whether it needed to be a paid service during beta, which is exactly what they did.

1 Like

Where will you be directing them? Some may agree with you perspective… but “like the plague”? The device still performs quite well.

From a for profit business, answering to investors, wouldn’t the right thing be to end the life of the current guide program and incorporate a new one which includes comerical skip?

Nuvyyo has some 100k of these new devices… there’s only of handful of unhappy users in Tablo Community forums… likely a minority of users who’ve already paid all the money they’re going to pay - and want even more and more… but won’t contribute any more to the bottom line. Yea, that makes good business sense.

They loose a handful a grumpy users, who wouldn’t pay anymore anyhow… and move forward - with new and improved products and happy new happy customers.

1 Like

using subscribers as guinea pigs?
I believe it was stated up front that ACS was a beta feature they were working on. And I also believe it was stated up front that whether or not there would be additional fees to use it was undecided. It was an “opt-in” program from the get go.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. While Nuvyyo did not mislead us in any way, they did use our participation, bandwidth and advise to help them gauge and refine this feature - which we hope succeeds and makes them a lot of money. We are a loyal, influential and tech-savvy bunch, and something “lifetime” should be offered to reward the lifetime subscribers.

Don’t you have to opt-in to to commercial skip by turning it on in your Tablo settings? Assuming so, they didn’t “use” your participation, bandwidth and advise, YOU opted in to participate in a beta test that clearly said from the beginning that the decision as to whether it would end up being included in the existing subscription model or released as an optional add-on cost was in progress and not yet determined.

2 Likes

why just to one time payment customers? Why can’t all their customers be rewarded?!?

I continue to contribute to their profits… why shouldn’t I be rewarded? There should be a “membership” for regular users, as it’s implied about lifetime users. I want special treatment just because I bought their product and pay a fee for their service - regularly and loyally.

How is a lifetime subscription an elite subscription? Any and all subscriptions pre 3-7-19 are “grandfathered” in to multiple devices!

A lifetime subscription isn’t unique beyond that a one-time payment. Yet users seem to imply there’s some superiority to it… “reward the lifetime subscribers” because they had enough $$ to make a lump sum payment others couldn’t afford?

1 Like

Yes, you are important and special too, but it’s always worked this way when companies offer a “lifetime” option: I’m willing to part with a large lump sum to help the company invest and grow, and in return the company gives me more reward.

1 Like