Tablo and Roku without internet

My internet went down. Tablo is hard wired to router. I can watch on iPad an iPhone. Cannot get Tablo to work on Roku Ultra or Apple TV 4.

If anyone can give me instructions on how to ger it to work on all devices it would be appreciated.

When you start the Roku app. There should be a message at the bottom of the screen saying something like ā€œcanā€™t connect to internetā€. You should be able to hit OK to proceed.

Prior to 8.0 OS release this use to be a popup with an option to proceed.

Of course if you reboot the Roku and your DHCP server fails to assign an IP address you are out of luck.

Well, that did not work. My internet went down due to a fiber cut. So I started Tablo on my iPad and it loaded immediately as I would expect. When I try to watch on a TV that has a Roku Ultra the Roku notifies me that there is no internet connection. So I try to start the Tablo app on Roku and the first few attempts it fails to load at all. Than I get the popup asking to configure internet or proceed. I click PROCEED. Tablo starts to load but hangs for a rotating circle that says ā€œLOADINGā€ and never gets beyond that.

On the Apple TV Tablo refuses to load at all without an internet connection. It is on the same WiFi as my iPad but no go. I was able to AirPlay from my iPad to the Apple TV but still cannot figure out why the app on the Apple TV will not work offline of internet.

So, I still cannot understand why an OTA app is not working offline from an internet connection on some devices. Can someone from Tablo please explain this?

The proceed has worked for me on a 4200 and 4210 for a year or two. Maybe itā€™s something about the Ultra or your router.

I use a router behind a router for all of my LAN connections because most ISP routers can be a little underpowered.

My network uses a bridged modem from the ISP and a TP-LINK Archer C5400 as they only DHCP device.

I talked to Tablo on the phone and they could offer no explanation. All my devices ā€œseeā€ the Tablo when internet is offline. But only the iPad and iPhone connect. I cannot figure out what I would change on my network. The Roku is hard wired as is the Tablo on the same network. Support told me the iPad app works differently than Apple TV app or Roku. In what way?

The fact that some devices work means what?

I was told that development will continue to look at the issue.

Since I have multiple tablo units I always start the tablo app where the previous tablo app state was disconnected. And my tablo units arenā€™t configured for remote connection.

But I did notice during the last testing I did that the initial app start had the spinning wheel of death that seemed to last a few minutes. Since TTL can last a few minutes I was willing to wait to see if it eventually timed out - and it did. It then displayed the various tablo units and things worked normally.

Weā€™re going to test this further on our end - weā€™ll report our findings when we can.

Also, I just installed the TIZEN app on a couple of Samsung TVs. Before testing, is that app, the TIZEN one, supposed to worked in an internet not available scenario?

The web app, the Xbox App, and the native Smart TV apps donā€™t have a secondary network fallback so they need internet to work:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-do-i-need-internet-use-tablo-ota-dvr/#discovery

1 Like