T-Mobile (US Cell Carrier) - BringOn

@beastman - Bit rate and picture quality are different animals. It seems like they’re requesting 480 for all recordings and like I said, that is a universal setting so all recordings intended for streaming via this service would have to be recorded at this quality.

My understanding was that Tmobile would re-encode everything to 480p in realtime, but I could be wrong. Also, Sling Box was listed as supported, so streaming TV content from home device may not be an issue.

1 Like

What’s really strange is they don’t have the TW app listed, but most of us here don’t have it.

If the low bit rate options are sufficient for T-Mobile then why not at least try? This is really only something that TabloTV can do with T-Mobile. It would instantly give you marketing to their 60+ million customers.

Since it works for Sling Box, it can work for Tablo. Granted, Sling Box most likely has more users than Tablo.

I thought the providers actually pay/subsidize the cost of the service (ex: spotify, pandora, Netflix, etc.)

What are you talking about? T-Mobiles “BingeOn” service has nothing to do with streaming service providers. Not all of the included streaming services have a cost for the service, it’s just that T-Mobile does not count it against your data bucket. Since SlingBox is included, it would be nice to see TabloTV included as well.

Ah it looks like that was only the case for the Music Freedom and they did away with it too:

“T-Mobile isn’t charging content providers to be included in Binge On or Music Freedom, but it is setting its own standards for inclusion. “Anyone who can meet our technical requirement, we’ll include,” Legere said. But T-Mobile hasn’t published its “technical requirement,” and of course reserves the right to define it, setting the bar wherever it wishes for entry into the program”

If we all try to encourage T-mobile, we might get it. But I have unlimited high speed data so it does’t make a difference. I get 1 free Vudu rental per month starting in January.

I’ve talked with Tmobile and with David at Tablo Support about this. A possibility would be to REQUIRE ALL REMOTE streaming to be 480. I have unlimited high speed data, so it really doesn’t make a difference to me. I told David I would post here, and perhaps we can vote to see if the MAJORITY wants to limit ALL REMOTE streaming to be limited to 480. Prior to voting, if we do, I suggest you change your setting individually to see if you would be happy with the result. I haven’t done so yet…I’ve only limited to 750 but will change to 450 after I return from the holidays to see what I think.

heh NO fecking way with 480… even remote. It’s not 1977.

1 Like

I think a big “Hell NO” is in order here…
I never remote stream at that low a bitrate.

1 Like

I’d have to issue with 480 for remote viewing.

Depending on my connection, I might drop to 480 when viewing remotely. I’m actually not viewing many shows remotely so I’m cool either way. I doubt you could get a consensus. What T-mobile should do is if I stream at 480, its part of binge. If you go higher than 480, its not Binge.

There is a setting in the Tmobile account where you can turn on/off Binge. Based on my conversation with Tmobile tech support, if the setting is on, Tmobile will re-encode all the video streaming on the fly to 480p; and once it’s off, the streaming will resume at the source resolution. It would be unacceptable to globally and blindly restricting all remote streaming at 480p under all circumstances. I’m thinking that even if a 480p source stream is indeed a requirement for Binge, Tablo should be able to provide an user setting to switch between 480p and 1080p in remote streaming.

@kamy2015 - Tablo allows you to specify the bandwidth for remote viewing in settings (750kbps, 1Mbps, etc) but not a resolution.
I read @beastman post to mean 480kbps, but it probably means 480p resolution…which would still be unacceptable to me as a blanket restriction to all users so those on t-mobile could use their free bandwidth program.
:smile: I have a 2,560 x 1,440 screen on my phone - 480p isn’t going to cut it!

Yes, Tmobile flyer was saying 480p in resolution, not bitrate.

I have the BingeOn on, which is required if I want to get the free Vudu movie per month starting in Jan. The majority of the sites I stream are not from the included list. I do stream Youtube, but google has greated at YT Music app, which continues playing when the screen is off. I use it to stream playlist of music, but the app doesn’t eve get the video.

I currently have it at 750 and is acceptable, but like most, I don’t think going lower will be ok, but some of the stations I watch are only 480 to begin with. When you scan the channels it shows what kind of station it is. I just looked at the list for Austin, TX and all the -2 and higher with the exception of 42-2 and 62-2 are only broadcast at 480i and both of these stations are Spanish, so I don’t include in my active lineup.

@beastman - All SD channels will be 480i…which is what most (but not all) sub-channels broadcast at. 480p is “DVD” standard…
Either way, I know I don’t want Tablo to limit my remote viewing to anything less than full bandwidth of what the Tablo can provide (today’s “Full Quality” setting), as there are times I’m viewing my recordings 3,000 miles away, but with full bandwidth on both ends.

I think you might be confused between bitrate and resolution. The 750 you mentioned is the bitrate, which is what we can control today under the Tablo settings. The 480p that Tmobile talks about is resolution, and Tablo app currently does not provide the user a setting to control that in remote streaming. In any circumstances, I don’t think Tablo should take away any of the bitrate or resolution settings that it currently provides.