Sync is going to kill Tablo

now I know you’re ok  ;-)

So is this also a syncing issue ?  I can reset my Tablo, get a new set of stations (rescan) and then I wait for the guide to update.  After the guide has updated there are often many blank spots in the guide.  I can go on my Roku and see that all the stations are there and all of them have the current show information (yet the guide in Chrome or any of the apps have blanks).  I avoid the iOS app since it just does not work right but the Android app seems to flash the program information and then it goes blank.

@roberttco At first glance it sounds like you’re missing the guide data entirely - but then it wouldn’t show up on Roku.

I’d be happy to take a look for you on our end, though. Feel free to send me a note.

This isn’t about optimizing a network. It’s about a device serving up some basic data and small thumbnail images. It should be the fastest loading web page in the world. No fancy Flash or Java, no ads, nothing.  Pretty much all browsers cache content by default anyway.  The sync is a bad idea, badly implemented.  If it’s at the core of the tech and they DON’T go back and start over now it won’t really matter. WAF on this thing sucks and it will die.  It’s not something I’m happy about. I spent real money on this and would love for it to be awesome. But so far it is flat out unusable.

@unclfuzzy

The sync’ing does not make it unusable. That is a little melodramatic.

Syncing doesn’t make it unusable but it sure makes Tablo undesireable.   You should NEVER have to wait for a DVR when you turn it on.  Any downloading of EPG data should take place at 3am or better yet user defined time.  

@7up… how do you download (because it’s end device specific) to the end device when it’s turned off??

The model has to change… there’s give and take in changing the way things are done.  Whatever is done is certainly not going to please everyone… but we’ll see…

@7up… how do you download (because it’s end device specific) to the end device when it’s turned off??

Your comments support the need for the entire syncing process to change (eliminated).   The client should never have a lengthy syncing process, its fundamentally flawed.    As unclfuzzy pointed out, the amount of data needed to be pulled by the client at startup is trivial.   There is way too much communication with the mothership in the current design.  The only lengthy download or syncing process which should occur is the actual Tablo box at 3am or whenever its unlikely to use any bandwidth which might affect the user.

Just to jump in, if you wanted to search on shows you would need to pull over all that data. So pulling it everytime does not make sense IMHO

But I understand the frustration :wink:

I believe that it could be read directly from the device, like any web-app or web page, the browser, asks for “whatchagotforme” and the server says “here it comes” and it comes pretty fast. We have an internally developed browser-based app at work, SQL back end and you can get a LOT of info pretty fast considering the web server has to request queries through the SQL server, the SQL server responds and the web server presents the data all sorted and ready to read or print.

I’ve not had a lot of sync issues most of the time - even if the phone hasn’t been used with our Tablo for 3 or 4 days, the sync is seconds and not minutes. 
While I agree that the full sync things should not be necessary, I’ve not had any real complaints about sync, MAYBE it’s because we simply don’t have as many stations or recordings! It may be based on how many channels you receive or if you have several hundred recordings?