(COMPLETED) Surround Sound

That post is from April 8th and they were referring to the focus being the added support for the Fire TV, and all the Android TV boxes.

Hopefully they will develop a Windows 10 app, which you will also be able to run on the Xbox, if and when it comes out.

Yep, this one is important to me. It is a key consideration for buying Tablo.

3 Likes

I am highly disappointed. I thought the tablo would record what was sent. Obviously not the case. It is a night and day difference.

Unfortunately, it seems obvious this is never coming to the tablo. Between this and my other 2 issues, this has to be going back :frowning: Disappointing, I had high hope for tablo.

2 Likes

+2 for this request.
I thought I looked into everything when I compared Tablo to other devices. Who would have thought, in 2016, that a TV related device would not support surround sound? This is a significant disappointment.

We don’t watch TV on our phones or iPads (I never understood why someone would if a TV is available). I have a nice 55" Samsung 8500 4K TV with a 7.1 surround sound system. I have invested ~$700 in equipment that is waiting to be set up when I cut the cable (router, tablo, cables, antenna, hard drive, rokus, etc.). This one thing will send the ‘wife-happy-o-meter’ from yellow (never green) to red.

I am in the software industry myself. I understand the need for frequent releases and the process of deciding what will go into them. However, I would argue that this isn’t so much a ‘feature’ as it is an expectation.

Outside of this, from what I have researched, I am confident in my decision to go the Tablo route. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

I’ve just updated an older thread (Dolby 5.1) earlier today asking for a timeframe on when we can expect this. So far, all I hear is crickets…

Maybe if enough of us chime in now it will get the attention it deserves. I would think that the many Apple TV users they’re trying to woo and both LG WebOS users (sarcasm intended) will want surround sound too.

Some might say it is already getting the attention that it deserves.

I don’t own an Apple TV but I rather have ATV support than 5.1 DD.

I’m afraid you may be correct.

You need to get a new wife.

Tablo knows, I’ve been very vocal about it. We’re at month 23 now (that’s right, almost 2 years!) that I’ve heard that it’s “on the roadmap”.

Yes we know, you’ve been very vocal about not caring for DD5.1.

If you don’t care for DD, you have no need to minimize other people’s wants/needs/requirements.

You don’t see me going into the LPW threads and saying “I’d rather see 5.1 than the LPW issues fixed”. I have no need to diminish other people’s wants/needs/problems in order to further my agenda (not saying you’re furthering your agenda, but you get the point).

1 Like

I want 5.1 actually.

As well, the LPW issue is a bug not intention, the lack of 5.1 audio is not a bug but an intention. One should be fixed and the other should be added.

I also really, really Dolby 5.1. Love everything else about the Tablo, but have been waiting for proper audio support since the first day the product came out and am tired of waiting.

Seriously thinking of going back to my previous PVR solution, which was a software product running on a Mac. The user interface isn’t nearly as nice, but I’m tired of HD TV without decent audio.

I’ve been following the progress of Tablo for almost 2 years now and the only thing holding me back from buying one is surround sound support at this point. I have Amazon Fire TVs in 3 rooms. As soon as Tablo adds surround sound and its verified working/stable, I’ll purchase one immediately and get a lifetime subscription.

Please add surround sound. I would rather all the other issues with viewing get resolved. Everything stops mid play multiple times. I have everything on ethernet and have no issues with any other streaming product. Seriously annoying.

Thought this was funny or maybe not ;^)
I saw the post as I was looking at replies and thought this was recent and I “Liked” the post as it is something that would really improve the overall user experience especially not having to worry about volume changes and other audio anomalies. I then realized that this post was from 2014! ;^)

Glad the conversation is still going on. Hopefully this will not be something forgotten. Great audio is just as important as a great picture.

Thanks for all the hard work the Tablo team has put in to bring us this amazing piece of technology.

Best,
Simeon

2 Likes

Ever go to watch a silent movie? If you did, how’d you like it? Good sound is at least as important as good film quality to most people. Good mixing of surround sound makes you part of the the movie as your are “encased” within it by the sound all around you. It was so surprising to find this device didn’t have it. By “surprising”, I mean kinda like when you found out Santa Clause was a fairy tale.

2 Likes

Wait, what?

When can we expect to see surround sound supported with Tablo?

1 Like

I’ll be surprised if it happens in my lifetime, though I’d love to be proven wrong.

1 Like

You are my hero for bumping all those threads, showing how much interest there was regarding surround sound until everyone gave up and resigned themselves to a lifetime of poor sound quality :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the year 2525…