SurLaTablo.py - Python program to query and convert Tablo recordings

Is there a way to configure SurLaTablo to take certain characters out of show titles? Like question marks for example?

On my FreeNAS system the show looks like this:
$ ls -1
S01E02-Are We Alone?.mp4

On Windows through a Samba share I see this:
SXTYQ1~5.MP4

Hmmm… not totally sure. Usually I’d say you need to mount with utf-8 charset support. But you know, that almost looks like what happens when you can’t support long filenames at all. There really shouldn’t be a problem handling a question mark, which utf-8 isn’t even needed for.

So… while I haven’t exact done the test specifically as you have defined… I’ve never had such an issue on any Samba system I’ve setup. Maybe there’s some kind of pre-Windows95 option or something that is enabled on your end (?).

First, let me say, friends shouldn’t let friends run Windows and certainly doesn’t belong in the enterprise.

Flames will be ignored.

In our surlatablo.conf, options['no_utf8_names'] = true or add -o no_utf8_names=true to your command line.

I may make this more configurable, but that setting is the best thing if Windows is involved.

Already got that in my conf file.

options[‘no_utf8_names’]=true
options[‘postscript’]=true

I’ll have to dig into my Samba settings on my FreeNAS box and see if there is something funny going on there.

Okay, I figured out a work around to the character issues. It’s not a problem since Plex is running on FreeBSD and has access to the UTF-8 filesystem and such. It’s only an issue when I need to go in and move files around or delete stuff. I just switched to deleting it from my Mac or directly from the Linux machine instead of my Windows Laptop.

A stranger issue though is that I have this in my conf file:
options[‘no_utf8_names’] = true

but it doesn’t take affect or give errors.

If I put --options no_utf8_names=true on my command line call to SurLaTablo it works as expected, removing the odd characters.

Thanks again for all your help

could be a bug there… I’ll take a look, thanks!

Just FYI:

After a few days with -o postscript=true, it’s still skipping the last segment of the show. Getting the first part of the next show tho. hehe

Might have something to do with the 5 mins it records after a show that I can’t seem to stop it from doing. I want to throw this thing out a window so often…

Read whole thread. Commercial cutting is a black art and probabilistic at best… well … until… (coming soon)

Oh I know I just wanted to tell ya.

I’ve been recording some concerts. In the web app page for a specific recording, it shows “Special, Music” under the title. Like Castle shows “Comedy, Crime drama”.

But I don’t see that designation in any of the metadata that SurLaTablo has. Is there any way to pick up those categories for query filtering?

Thanks!

Tablo has a closed API available under a strict NDA which prohibits disclosure. SurLaTablo is open source, and thus can’t participate. Originally, Tablo dumped all the meta data from their partner EPG source in a normal file. That change many many months ago to being a reduced set of meta data with references to data held elsewhere (e.g. the need for the API).

So… while it used to be possible and SurLaTablo did make that information visible, now as I get are reference codes. Which means, a static table can be build similar to the way I have to handle channel meta data since that too was removed.

Community wise we can build this table, but I need everyone’s help. For example I can tell you that for American Idol, the meta data code is 1890, 221 which maps apprently to Music, Reality. A series of The Middle is labled SitCom and has code 1180.

1890: Music
221: Reality
1180: Sitcom

So… via Tablo, you can get the friendly names, and looking at the raw meta data from the Tablo (i.e. surlatablo.py -i ) can get you the exposed numeric data codes for the genres.

I have no problem trying do so some of this on my own, but their are a ton of genres. And I’m not sure everybody is interested in having this feature, but I do think it would be cool to create this.

And I’m assuming the codes are uniform across everyone’s devices, it certainly could be that you need to create a mapping specific to your Tablo.

Found the mapping… I’ll work on a static table for a future version.

Great!

SurLaTablo 1.8 Released (genres return… well it’s a beginning)

1.8 - (genres return… well it’s a beginning)

1. A genre_map is included now in SurLaTablo. It’s probably not complete, but is an attempt to make genre meta data possible again (${genres}). You’ll have to remove your SURLATABLO_ROOT files and regen (just do surlatablo.py to regen).

Also, I posted my current surlatablo.conf. It might help some folks out with some stuff. And it includes my channel map for people in DFW area (you might want to remove that if you don’t live near me… and change SURLATABLO_ROOT and IP address etc… Just an example folks.).

(720327) Texas Rangers at Houston Astros

Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 06:00 PM
    KDFWDT(FOX) - 720p [3:00:15]
    Baseball

Description:
    From Minute Maid Park in Houston.

(723670) King Kong (2005)

Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 07:00 PM
    KXAS-DT(NBC) - 1080i [3:05:20]
    Fantasy;Adventure;Action

Description:
    Peter Jackson's expansive remake of the 1933 classic follows director Carl
    Denham (Jack Black) and his crew on a journey from New York City to the ominous
    Skull Island to film a new movie. Accompanying him are playwright Jack Driscoll
    (Adrien Brody) and actress Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts), who is whisked away by the
    monstrous ape, Kong, after they reach the island. The crew encounters dinosaurs
    and other creatures as they race to rescue Ann, while the actress forms a bond
    with her simian captor.

(581629) The X-Files - s10e01 - My Struggle

Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 09:00 PM
    KDFWDT(FOX) - 720p [1:00:15]
    Drama;Science fiction

Description:
    A web-TV show host approaches Mulder and Scully with a government conspiracy he
    believes he has uncovered; a possible alien abductee shares information that
    challenges Mulder's beliefs on the existence of aliens.

Got the new 1.8 installed and so far working great.

Keep it up! Your efforts are much appreciated!

Just installed 1.8, and trying to figure out how to get the rest of the meta data populated. Here’s an example recording from after it was installed:

(77986) Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke - s01e06 - Big Bad Beef

Monday, June 06, 2016 at 07:30 AM
${channel_sign}(${channel_affiliate}) - ${channel_res_name} [0:35:20]
3651;39

Description:
Sriracha beef jerky; brisket; whole smoked beef tenderloin with horseradish
cream; smokehouse beans; ember roasted peppers.

I also see the following info in the raw info dump:

"relationships": {
                "recChannel": 20567, 
                "recSeason": 21481, 
                "recSeries": 21480
            }, 

I added the channel it was recorded on to the channel map:

channel_map = {
20567: { ‘channel_num’: ‘30.3’ },
}

What else do I need to do to get the channel info to display properly?

I also added those two genres to the genre_map. 39 is Cooking, 3651 is How-To.

Oh, nevermind. Had to delete the cache files. I’m updating genres now, the ones you entered don’t match my data.

Ouch on the genres. I was hoping. I’ll move it out if core and leave it to the end user to populate… sigh… and the majority won’t because it’s a pain.

Ah love Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke! Just built a fire pit (outdoor BarBQ pit) to do some of his stuff. We watch him on PBS Create (along with all the other good people). It is our favorite channel; wife says if we lose all of our channels, THIS ONE MUST COME IN!!!

I built a special loop antenna for VHF from copper refrigeration tubing coil just to ensure we get this one (channel 8 VHF in our area - 8.2). Kudos to PBS for this great subchannel!

Half of our recorded content on our Tablo is from PBS Create.

I can just move that table to the conf file, right?