SurLaTablo.py - Python program to query and convert Tablo recordings

@PhilH  Yes, it's probably the accents. Those characters seem to have different "code points" in Unicode than older character encodings.

@cjcox Have you seen these?

http://www.peterbe.com/plog/unicode-to-ascii
http://bradmontgomery.blogspot.com/2010/03/dealing-with-unicode-and-ascii-using.html

I’m looking at this… the wrong answer is to not handle it (translating to ascii)… :-)  Names should be preserved as they are meant to be seen.  And this looks to only affect Windows as far as I can tell… (sigh, hate bringing up windows…)

lol - It’s not a problem. I’ll just keep this episode on the Tablo. I figured it was a Windows 8.1 prob… lol  8-}

I sure am glad that Windows is absolutely cluless about i18n in their console … NOT!

Sheesh… can’t we just throw Windows away folks?  What a dreadfully bad thing it is…  can’t tell time, can’t handle i18n… etc… etc…

I think the best fix is just to translate every string to “microsoft sucks”… think of the space savings if the only filename you could have is “microsoft sucks”!!  And as strange as it may be, Windows seems to handle the string “microsoft sucks” without issue (which is just strange to say the least).  I wonder if you can do math correctly on the platform? (probably asking too much)

There is no fix for this… but I will workaround Windows stupidity (broken OS)…   give me a bit…

SurLaTablo 0.9 released

0.9 -
   1. Better file handling for Windows.  That is, strip out everything that
      is not ASCII (sigh).  It is weird because NTFS handles unicode (roughly)
      filenames, but Windows shells do not handle it.  Python 2.7 also has
      some issues, just don’t look at Python 3 to fix everything (it doesn’t).
   2. Made some tweaks to commercial handling.  Added backtoback to join
      close segments together.

I found a show that I tried to use the script on that made it puke.. I got the temp file ok but the ffmpeg part failed. The title of the episode was Masterchef: 

Junior Edition: The Crème de la Crème ... Brulee

I figure the accents above the e's are the culprit. But I am just guessing here.

Phil

This problem has been fixed. Thank you cjcox. The file transcoded just fine now…

Phil
I found a show that I tried to use the script on that made it puke.. I got the temp file ok but the ffmpeg part failed. The title of the episode was Masterchef: 

Junior Edition: The Crème de la Crème ... Brulee

I figure the accents above the e's are the culprit. But I am just guessing here.

Phil

This problem has been fixed. Thank you cjcox. The file transcoded just fine now with version 0.9…

Phil

@cjcox - works with my problem file just fine now.  Audio sync issue still there with Roku and 1080.

Works if Direct Stream, or Transcode are used - but Audio sync issue is present with Direct Play.

– Ryan 

@Gosmitty, AFAIK, it’s a Plex problem.  Others on the Plex forums have complained.  Every once in awhile, it plays ok.

With that said, I’ll keep experimenting with setttings…  I just hate to force a full transcode (expensive/slow).

There is a fatal bug in commercial zapping… I didn’t get my fix (and other things) completed tonight… look for a 0.91 release tomorrow.

@cjcox - I tried using the h265 transcode option, and no file appeared.  If I use another option such as Gif, I see a file appear.  It also works fine with the default mp4 option.

Any thoughts?

Easiest thing to do when there is an “error” is redirect the output of the surlatablo command to a file and then you (and I) might be able to see what is going on.  Try that and see if it helps.  I haven’t tested the h265 for a bit… there could be something wrong…

Easiest thing to do when there is an "error" is redirect the output of the surlatablo command to a file and then you (and I) might be able to see what is going on.  Try that and see if it helps.  I haven't tested the h265 for a bit... there could be something wrong...

Here is a snip from the end of the file…

ffmpeg version 2.3.6 Copyright © 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Feb 11 2015 21:46:14 with gcc 4.2.1 (GCC) 20070831 patched [FreeBSD]
configuration: --disable-libaacplus --disable-indev=alsa --disable-outdev=alsa --disable-libopencore-amrnb --disable-libopencore-amr
wb --disable-libass --disable-libcdio --disable-libcelt --disable-libfaac --disable-libfdk-aac --enable-ffserver --enable-fontconfig
 --enable-libfreetype --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --disable-libgsm --enable-iconv --disable-indev=jack --disable-libmp3lame --di
sable-libbluray --disable-libv4l2 --disable-indev=v4l2 --disable-outdev=v4l2 --disable-libmodplug --disable-openal --disable-indev=o
penal --enable-libopencv --disable-libopenjpeg --disable-openssl --disable-libopus --disable-libpulse --disable-indev=pulse --disabl
e-outdev=pulse --disable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --disable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --en
able-libvorbis --disable-libvo-aacenc --disable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --disable-libx265 --enable-libxvid -
-prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man --datadir=/usr/local/share/ffmpeg --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable
-avfilter --enable-avresample --enable-pthreads --enable-memalign-hack --disable-libstagefright-h264 --disable-libutvideo --disable-
libsoxr --cc=cc --extra-cflags=’-msse -I/usr/local/include/vorbis -I/usr/local/include’ --extra-ldflags=’-L/usr/local/lib ’ --extra-
libs=-pthread --disable-debug --disable-ffplay --disable-outdev=sdl
libavutil      52. 92.100 / 52. 92.100
libavcodec     55. 69.100 / 55. 69.100
libavformat    55. 48.100 / 55. 48.100
libavdevice    55. 13.102 / 55. 13.102
libavfilter     4. 11.100 /  4. 11.100
libavresample   1.  3.  0 /  1.  3.  0
libswscale      2.  6.100 /  2.  6.100
libswresample   0. 19.100 /  0. 19.100
libpostproc    52.  3.100 / 52.  3.100
Unrecognized option ‘x265-params’.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

If I’m reading this correctly your version of ffmpeg has been compiled with h265 disabled.

@Gosmitty, it’s a pretty old version of ffmpeg.  I’m not sure if h265 was well integrated (not that it is terribly integrated today) back then.

Huh, my ffmpeg is pretty old - nevermind…

Commercial “zap” sample (full movie) posted here:

Angel and the Badman

I just got this up and running on my Mac, and it works great!  Just curious though if there is a plan (or another tool) that would allow me to upload the converted video back to the Tablo or zap commercials for the file(s) that remain on the Tablo, so that when I watch off the Tablo, the commercials would be gone.

@nosnhojm, for me, it was designed to put the media into my Plex Media Server.  In my case, the Tablo is the temporal source (and with its large files and small disk limitations, it made sense to me).

So… no, I doubt there will ever be something to put data onto the Tablo.

Posted this in another thread.  In the new few days a new version of Surlatablo will come out that addresses the audo/video out of sync issue for commercial zapped transcodes.  It will also fix one serious bug and an infiinite loop scenario and may also fix some memory leakage problems (makes me wonder why people love python so much).