Sunday activity only a nerd could love

Running a home network stress test. Rock solid / no lag with 2 streams of Netflix, 2 streams of live football game on @tablotv, A movie running on Plex and talking over Obi VOIP. (6 devices asking for bandwidth). 

Side note took stock of the random things hanging around my office… Anyone need a PCMCIA wireless notebook adapter? Yeah, didn’t think so.

That’s great but would be nice to provide some more details. Are these devices wired? What’s your router?

A typical consumer router probably couldn’t handle all that if it were all wireless.

@theuser86

OK, details…

Cincinnati Bell Fiber Optic connection @20Mbps
ASUS RT-AC56R router
Tablo connected via Zyxel Powerline adapter
TCL Roku TV also connected to powerline running Tablo stream 1
Roku 2XS Powerlined running Tablo Stream 2
Windows Phone 8.1 Running 2.4ghz AC Netflix Stream 1
iPad 3 Running 2.4ghz Netflix Stream 2
MacBook Pro running Plex stream (Served from a dedicated server running WHS11) WHS11 connected to router via a switch, MacBook Pro was powerline at the time.
Obihai 100 VOIP connected via powerline as well.

Router currently has 35 active clients registered to it

Anything I left out?

Hope sounds good. And that is definitely the performance I’d expect out of a $150 router.

But none of your Tablo streaming was wireless eh?

No, I like to set myself up for the best experience possible, so I don’t rely on wifi much to pass video around unless the device just can’t do it any other way.  

I totally agree - it’s just so many people expect 1080p WiFi streaming to be flawless when they’re using either ISP stock routers or budget routers with mediocre wireless antenna.

What’s your Tablo recording quality set to anyway? 1080p or 720p?
Running a home network stress test. Rock solid / no lag with 2 streams of Netflix, 2 streams of live football game on @tablotv, A movie running on Plex and talking over Obi VOIP. (6 devices asking for bandwidth). 

Side note took stock of the random things hanging around my office... Anyone need a PCMCIA wireless notebook adapter? Yeah, didn't think so.

A bag of computer and network gear just went into the trash yesterday. Among them a PCMCIA CD drive, included drive, PCMCIA adapter, cable, setup disk and documents. Also an Intel and a 3Com 100 NIC, an older Cisco PCI wireless NIC, an enhanced IDE drive controller, an older Adaptec SCSI adapter, a bag of drive cables, a 10BaseT connector and special cable setup for 110 AT&T equipment (I used to install and wire phone systems and Ethernet and Token Ring networks for a major investment and insurance company). I trashed a few 66 blocks, numerous network cables, 2 NOS system boards still in the boxes, a couple older high-end video adapters, and a half dozen other cards and adapters. I also trashed a half dozen drives that were under 100 gig each, and a couple notebook drives.

No, I like to set myself up for the best experience possible, so I don't rely on wifi much to pass video around unless the device just can't do it any other way.  

Do you use the QOS settings to give preference to the Tablo streaming?
It’s too bad Tablo only has a 100 Ethernet chipset. I’d love to see Gig interface in Tablo since my Cisco (small consumer version) switch is gig.

My Wi-Fi from router to notebook is typically FASTER, running 150 to 300 Mbps where the wired is only 100 due to the Tablo port speed restriction. 
My notebook runs from 150 to 300 and I’ve never seen it under 150 but the main desktop which acts as a server runs only a bit over 100 Wi-Fi so I just cabled it in. 

@theuser86 I do 720.  I’m sure the network could handle 1080 now, but when I first got the Tablo close to launch, firmware was different, and I only had a RT-56U (WHich don’t get me wrong is stout,and solid as a rock, but not as good as the current setup).

@shadowspapa  It is so hard for me to throw away anything tech related.  Even if it is grossly out of date.  It’s funny, I just looked at a hard drive today that I have laying around and saw it was 40gig.  I though well, never going to use this.

ASUS has a really nice QOS interface that I have never touched.  If it can handle all I threw at it today without any problems, I doubt I will ever need to.
A bag of computer and network gear just went into the trash yesterday. 

Now room for MOAR TOYS!!!

PLEASE don’t tell my wife! I was hoping the open space in my cupboards next to my desk would go unnoticed…  

Now I just need to get my shop network reconnected and the AP out there reconfigured for use with the new router… then I could stream to a notebook in my shop!

(and finally decide on a tablet …I could really use one for the upcoming car show season and my trips but there’s SO many choices I can’t decide yet!)

:smiley: