Suddenly My Unit Keeps Buffering

HOT - that’s all I have to report this summer— HOT :frowning: I guess anything is possible, but I wouldn’t think the weather would affect buffering. It’s been cooler this last two days, but the buffering is the same if I raise the resolution at all… Didn’t use to be like this.

I’m referring to the rain and wind we have had over the last month. Over 5" the last month which is a LOT for AZ in Sept/Oct timeframe!

I understand your response. It’s just that your reference to weather is local to you - doesn’t apply to my part of the country.

Definitely not the weather. Probably some oddity in my home network that resolved on it’s own. Was still strange it only affected the Rokus and not the iPad on the same network…

I’ve been fighting a similar issue since purchase a month ago. Constantly buffering every 10 min (est). I installed a new GE high gain antenna in the attic, went through and set up QoS on router even though I am hardwired to router. Tried Wifi 5ghz channel and nothing worked. I was ready to take the unit back to Best Buy when I came across a blog about use of USB sticks. So I removed my Cruzer USB and noticed while I was messing with the unit (Tablo Dual) that the network lights were dropping out. Replaced the Mfg provided Cat 5 with a new Cat6. I haven’t had any issues since. I’m an Imaging Engineer (Radiology), so I’m used to having networking problems. Most of the time it’s either the cable (they do go bad, faulty assembly) or ISP provided equipment. It’s cheap so your better off purchasing a name brand Router with better throughput. Tablo does not compress the OTA signal compared to Netflix or YouTube so it uses about twice the bandwidth of the router. If the router is flakey then your going to have issues.

Actually Tablo does compress the OTA signal. See link below.

It converts the video from MPEG2 to h264 which is actually a huge bandwidth saving for wireless streaming.

So like image wisely (radiology), the RQ setting is about choosing wisely.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-dvr-live-tv-recording-quality-settings/

It is converted, but still it might not be as compressed (??, I actually haven’t done the analysis though).

My understanding is the native MPEG2 video stream has a higher bitrate - can someone please confirm the native bitrate?

I record at the default, and just checking one HD recording, I saw about 3.5mbit… default setting says it can be 5mbit. All of that is pretty low.

MPEG2 as far as 1080 is concerned is normally transmitted at 10 to 12 mbs from the station (the max is 19 but no stations do that since they partition the channel into substations). A one hour MPEG2 recording on my Homeworx is 13 gb (that’s right 13 GB). MPEG2 is about 4 times the rate of MP4. Handbrake takes that huge 13 gb file down to 2 to 3 gb (MP4).

It depends on where you are getting the definition of default.

When I check the setting page for the OG model the recommended is HD 720 5 Mbps. But on my dual lite 64 it’s HD 720 3 Mbps.

And I don’t have a plain dual lite to check.

I record at HD 720 5 Mbps and I did notice that after the firmware fix to solve the Fire TV Cube problem the amount of disk space used for HD 720 5 Mbps seemed smaller. I thought it might be due to the change in the 5 minute sloop over recording time. But they did have to change how they recorded GoP.