Subscription Longevity

At the point where I need to choose a subscription model. Lifetime right now is a bit of a gamble for a few reasons:

• Will this device still be my device of choice in three years? (I think so, given how long I held on to the TiVos)
  • Will Nuvyyo still be in operation in three yeras? (I certainly hope so - requires this Tablo thing to catch on)
I don’t want to suggest Nuvyyo is not a great, stable company… but products like this have come and gone. I hope Tablo has the right formula. I think it does. I certainly want to keep using this device.

What happens with my lifetime subscription in the event Nuvyyo, as a company, is no longer able to support the Tablo? Will it no longer get guide data? Will there be a subscription transfer to the source?

@cedarrapidsboy - Unfortunately you’ve got to take the chance that we won’t be around if you get the lifetime service. It’s a great deal, but there’s no way we can continue to provide service if for some reason we implode. 

That being said, I bought a new car based on my belief that this company is on the right track. Hopefully you can take a smaller bet on the same idea :) 

I felt like I gambled quite a bit on the Tablo, and it has definitely paid off so far.    I pre-ordered and bought this based on decent trade show reviews back in January.  I had no idea if it would work well or not, and I had never heard of Nuyvvo.  Who buys stuff from Canada?   :wink:

Since that time, Nuvyyo has rolled out the 2-tuner and 4-tuner Tablos.  They have made numerous updates to the firmware and software.  They have this terrific forum, as well as active Facebook and Twitter accounts.  I see TabloTv post on the AVSForum site as well as the dealer sites that sell the Tablo (like Walmart.com).   The Tablo is so well known now that it is compared to Tivo (usually quite favorably), and it is sold by Walmart, Best Buy, NewEgg, and Amazon.

This is a company in its fifth year of existence (founded in 2010).  It is growing as well to better support their products.  Sure, there is no guarantee it will be around in 5 more years, but I wouldn’t bet against them right now.  
1 Like
We talking Hyundai or Lexus?

BTW, my credit union doesn't like Canada very much - at least not when Canada tries to charge things to my debit card. I had to find a different card.

It’s a Kia, but it’s a ‘fancy’ Kia. You need seat warmers in this kind of climate :wink:

So far my Tablo investment is on track to pay for itself (I have a year guide data free, since I preordered).

My hardware paid for itself in 2 months.  Now I am saving $100/month so if I factor that into the guide subscription price, even if it’s only used for 6 months it more than paid for itself in savings from cable.  Love my Tablo!

I have 2 Tablo’s now, so if you count that they are both covered under the same subscription then the savings is even better! How about a third and a fourth? LOL Even more!!!

I made the leap and decided on the lifetime.

My savings are not as immediate since I have been without Cable or satellite for many years.

Tablo… you got a new cheerleader.

Ra Ra Ree - Kick 'em in the knee!
Ra Ra Rass - Kick 'em in the … CableCARD!

@cedarrapidsboy - Thank you! And we <3 our cheerleaders! 

At the point where I need to choose a subscription model. Lifetime right now is a bit of a gamble for a few reasons:
  • Will this device still be my device of choice in three years? (I think so, given how long I held on to the TiVos)
  • Will Nuvyyo still be in operation in three yeras? (I certainly hope so - requires this Tablo thing to catch on)

I don’t want to suggest Nuvyyo is not a great, stable company… but products like this have come and gone. I hope Tablo has the right formula. I think it does. I certainly want to keep using this device.

What happens with my lifetime subscription in the event Nuvyyo, as a company, is no longer able to support the Tablo? Will it no longer get guide data? Will there be a subscription transfer to the source?

I keep missing things. So do you need a monthly of lifetime subscription to Tablo the way that you need one for TiVo?

@Bobby_A,

If you want the programming guide then you need a subscription. If you do not subscribe monthly, yearly, or buy a lifetime, then you can still use your Tablo to record by time and channel.

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201539867-What-do-I-get-for-my-subscription-
@Bobby_A,

If you want the programming guide then you need a subscription. If you do not subscribe monthly, yearly, or buy a lifetime, then you can still use your Tablo to record by time and channel.

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201539867-What-do-I-get-for-my-subscription-

Thank you, CRB. :slight_smile: Also, that’s very ‘diplomatic’ and ‘flexible’ of the Tablo company. :slight_smile:

Also, I like the fact that the first month is free where those who don’t subscribe can sample the program guide. Plus, the $5 per month/$50 per year/$150 per lifetime isn’t bad. :slight_smile:

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201962548-How-much-does-the-Program-Guide-Data-Subscription-cost-

The main thing to be careful about is to set up a subscription before the free period expires. If you wait too long, then you will lose your schedules and have to set them all up again. (You won’t lose your recordings)

i  will be  buying  a  tablo  in  the   next   two  weeks   fourms  are   great   to  find  out   how  work  and  any  problums    and   i  would    say        tablo  is   a  winner   i  looked  at  all  the  pvr  nothing  comes   close 

I know it is 50$/year and 150 in three years or a life time subscription 150. But I did not calculate my return on investment based on only the guide subscription. I brought the following when I switched

1) Table 4 tuner - 300
2) life time subscription - 150
3) Antenna - 100
4) Roku - 100
5) fire tv - 100
6) 2 tb hard drive - 100
Which makes the total to 850. I was paying 90$/month for dish. So in 10 months I would start getting the returns on my investment. So I don’t have to think if Tablo will be around in 3 years, all I need to ask myself is if it is going to be around for 10 months and in which case I break even.

Having said that after using Tablo for 3 months, now I would say this company is not going anywhere. If the product is good then I do not see any reason for it to close. It is an awesome product better than any other OTA solution out there. I had successfully converted two more at my work place to Tablo when I showed them live NFL when our team was in Germany for work and they were so impressed to convert.

@girimurthy - Glad you’re loving your Tablo so far :slight_smile:  And yes, we certainly intend to be around for a long time! 

I think I know the answer, since it covers multiple units, but I want to be 100% sure. Is the “lifetime subscription” tied to the lifetime of any one device, or will I be able to upgrade hardware in the future without a new subscription? This is stated a bunch of times very clearly on your competitors website but I haven’t seen anything on yours that clearly states it.

@uncw05 it is tied to the user. As an example, I have 2 tablos but only one subscription and the subscription covers all my devices