Static IP Address Lease for Tablo TV on a DD-WRT Router?

I use DD-WRT on my router, and have most devices on our network set up to use a reserved static IP address. This lets me group peripherals (printers, MagicJack, Echo Dots, etc.), adult devices, kids devices, and newly connected devices, so that I can apply different permissions and rules for each group, and also keep peripherals on static IP addresses.

The only problem is that the static IP address isn’t being honored for Tablo TV. It’s just getting a random one from the DHCP pool.

I’ve double and triple-checked the MAC address. I have 33 other devices in the static IP address table, and none of them are having problems.

I normally wouldn’t worry about it, but it messes up Tablo Connect since the port mappings every time the Tablo TV moves to a different IP address (which just happened last night thanks to an extended power outage).

Anybody with any ideas?

I use Airport Extreme for my router and it has maintained the same DHCP reservation for my Tablo for almost 3 yrs.

No trouble retaining a reserved IP here either…

Only thought that comes to mind, is it losing connection momentarily and the router assigning a new IP because the previously reserved one is still locked from the previous connection?

If its connected via Wifi, maybe try it wired, or if connected wired, maybe try another cable…

Might be a stretch but its the only idea I can toss out there…

Have you created a reservation for both MAC addresses from the Tablo? I expect there is one for WiFi and one second on for Ethernet.

That may be the problem. How do I find the second MAC address? I only see one.

I’m using the MAC Address that shows up on the bottom of the Settings page on my.tablotv.com and also on the router’s DHCP Client list. (They are the same.)

I found the problem. It was an error between the keyboard and the chair. In other words, me.

I had fat-fingered the IP address assignment (typing 192.168.173.74 instead of 192.168.123.74), and apparently DD-WRT was smart enough to know that the IP address wasn’t valid on the network so it assigned one from the DHCP pool. DOH!

Now that I entered the correct IP address, it’s working perfectly.

Talking about DD-WRT, are routers converted to DD-WRT more performant than using their original firmware? I’m considering trying DD-WRT and flashing my Netgear.

Talking about DD-WRT, are routers converted to DD-WRT more performant than using their original firmware? I’m considering trying DD-WRT and flashing my Netgear.

Mainly, it just adds a TON of functionality. If you’re fairly technical, you’ll probably like it.

I like DD-WRT for it’s functionality - port forwarding is easy, it can work with DDNS services, it can run a VPN server, etc.

Agreed. I needed a wireless bridge. That is I needed a wireless switch if you will… a remote switch with hardwired ports. I had an extra WRT54G, put DD-WRT on it and presto, easy setup of a wireless bridge. Probably not a big deal nowadays, but back then, it was pretty huge.

I converted my Netgear r6300 over to DD-WRT and everything works fine. Main reason I did it was for using a VPN service.Several other settings become available under DD-WRT also.

I’ve used it with four or five different (mostly low-end) routers so far. I just bought a Netgear R6400 earlier this week, and am loving having a more powerful router.

One thing I figured out with this router upgrade… You can backup and restore your settings. There is a warning not to restore a backup to a different router model or firmware. With as many customized settings (especially the static IP address list) that I have, I figured I didn’t have anything to lose by trying. After restoring my settings from my old router to this one, I went through the settings and it was almost all there. The only thing different was that my old router had one radio (2.4 GHz) while this one had two (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), and I had to set up the SSID and Security for each of those. EVERYTHING else carried over. Easiest upgrade ever.

Several features that drew me to DD-WRT, some of which I currently use and some which I haven’t gotten around to implementing yet:

1. The ability to set access restrictions. I put the kids in a separate IP address range and set up rules for that range which I can easily turn on or off.

2. The ability to set up a VPN so I can connect to the home network remotely. I’ll be setting this up soon. I’ve always had low-end routers that didn’t have enough flash memory for the full DD-WRT install before, so VPN wasn’t an option. Plus they weren’t really fast enough. This one should be.

3. The ability to set up virtual SSIDs, hot spots, guest SSIDs, etc. You can even set up a hotspot.

4. QoS to give priority to specific users or types of traffic. I can make sure video streaming and games don’t slow down my work.

5. DDNS.

6. Built-in USB/NAS/DNLA support.

7. Robust firewall/security.

There are tons of other features that I haven’t even explored.