Split Recordings

@Nilex No, TWO shows on at the same time had the issue.
One show on an hour earlier did not get split.

Gotcha, I misread, you clearly said 2 of the 3. I still think my theory applies.

I agree. Likely a Tablo reboot give both recordings are at the exact same time. Why did it reboot? Let Tablo check your logs. But likely due to poor signal reception. Did you have a storm last night?

No it was perfectly clear. Ran a scan and all the relevant channels are 5 green dots, for what that is worth.

The scan is a point in time reference after the fact, you donā€™t know what happened at 1039 pm exactly to cause momentary signal loss.

That is why I opened a ticket :wink:

1 Like

I havenā€™t seriously looked at it, but lately Iā€™ve had split recordingsā€¦ havenā€™t had issues in the past. Now Iā€™m going to pay attention and log some details. Thanks for the heads-up.

This happened a couple times to me, but was low on the list of battles I was fighting. It begs the question, though, of WHY must the Tablo resort to rebooting simply because it perceives a momentary drop in signal quality? My TV doesnā€™t do that. Does anybodyā€™s? Are there any analogous situations where a device necessarily reboots itself not because of power irregularities, but because of a change in the signal/data itā€™s receiving?

I have never had my Hauppauge PC tuner or my Homeworx DVR reboot on signal disruption. In fact I have never seen any split recordings on either device!

Quite honestly, this is the only ā€œmajorā€ frustration I have the moment with my Tablo. There are some other enhancements Iā€™d like to see but they really donā€™t affect my day to day usage much, they would just be nice to have.

Luckily I havenā€™t had the reboot situation for a while but Iā€™m a bit concerned as Spring arrives that Iā€™m going to have reception issues because of trees, etc. and will start running into this issue again.

After reviewing the split recordings I find one channel, the only VHF-H one I get was having pretty bad reception issues. That is most likely what caused the reboot and split. Last night the only show I recorded was on UHF and recorded normally. I have two different transmitters for this channel in opposite directions. I was testing the closer one that is ā€œbehindā€ my antenna. Seems to be a fail.

This weekend I am upgrading to an Antop ā€œBig Boyā€ AT-400BV which is reported to have improved VHF capability.

Thanks for pointing out the reception/reboot issue. I was not aware of it since this is the first time I experienced that.

Also, Tablo Tech support reviewed my logs and provided the same analysis - poor reception caused a reboot.